Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wrinkle Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Droopydogg

Droopydogg

Did a OT Mopar steering column years ago. It came out great and was surprisingly super durable. I would do it again without question.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yep, but I did those in a college rental trailer, no body complained! But the next time your wife gets a new oven, move the old one to the shop as they come in handy for a lot of things. Or get freebie from someone else who is remodeling. Or mount some sun lamps on the inside an old metal cabinet. Or easier, take the parts to a powder coater. They do excellent prep and bake at what, 400 deg? My last valve covers were done that way and Ferrari can't do better. 40 bucks as I recall.

3. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I’ve used Rustoleum Bed Liner, extensively. Always worked well ........... Lucky I guess.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never painted anything with even though I really like the look. Back in the 70's I ordered a set of Weiand wrinkle finish valve covers for my T bucket the day after I saw a set in a magazine add. Had them on the same engine in my 48 for a number of years after I pulled it out of the T and put it in the 48.

5. I used S100 to keep the wrinkle paint looking good, worked great. Might be worth a shot.:) Joking aside, this stuff was the ticket if you wanted to renew faded wrinkle or any other flat or semi flat black engine paint on your scoot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Chavezk21, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

So remember when that was seen as=you really screwed up that paint job. But yes ,I did some valve covers with it. I didn't like it much after a short time,when I found out keeping them clean was not EZ. The're small parts that look kind of good that way !

7. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Not sure if this post belongs here or not but I have had GREAT results with Rustoleum's Hammer finish paints.

I don't have an automotive example to show anymore. My now-non-HAMB friendly '55 truck (avatar) had the bed wood out of it for awhile and I was painting a big structural beam in my garage so I tried it on the exposed frame rail. I did NOTHING in the way of prep. It probably had some dust on it, mild surface rust, etc. Rolled it on the top of the frame using a little throw away 99 cent foam roller from Home Depot and it came out looking exactly like the photos I am posting. This stuff dries HARD.

It's a weird paint when you roll it. It gets sticky and "thready" - for lack of a better word - almost immediately. But dries to a nice uniform finish. Label says if you don't 2nd coat it within X IMG_4424.JPG IMG_4423.JPG hours you have to wait like 48 hours. I did and it just comes out fantastic. Hope this helps someone.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pic is one of the Bandits under construction. The adapter behind the wheel is a cast aluminum cone that was wrinkle finished originally. My technique is to completely strip and wire wheel the piece, clean it, degrease it, primer and let it cure. Then heat the piece to the point is hot to the touch and apply 2 heavy coats of that seymor wrinkle rattle can. Let it dry in the house if it is cool in the shop. The finish was nicer than GM's and incredibly uniform.
    upload_2019-8-20_22-11-30.png

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure to let it dry for a couple days. It is so thick, it takes a long time to completely dry and get hard.

egads, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My wife is getting pretty much of a wrinkle finish but after 50 years of being married to me its no wonder:rolleyes: Damn. I hope she doesn't see this post!!

29bowtie, BJR, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  11. upspirate

upspirate

I liked the Hammerite paint back before Rustoleum bought them out, but have used Rustoleum also. I thought it would be great on certain rod parts for a driver such as pedals brackets etc. I've used it on boat parts and no corrosion. Mostly used the spray cans.Tough stuff

12. That's what she said! o_O HRP

29bowtie, egads, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  13. I like to do wrinkle finish powder coat on suspension parts, sway bars and the like, looks neat to me and pretty durable

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and upspirate like this.
  14. I was totally unaware wrinkle finish was available in powder coating, with the huge ovens I'm sure it would be a more consistent finish. HRP

29bowtie, 3W JOHN and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. There's a lot of textures available, wrinkle, vein, and some rougher stuff like bedliner and so on. Its nuts what we can do now with it compared to 10-12 years ago when I first started with it. Even able to do 2 stage candies and flakes and such now.

16. More that 40 years ago when I was building my old '56 panhead I had read about using wrinkle finish on the jugs to give them a clean look so I bought a couple of rattle cans and followed instructions, I was doing this in the dead of winter so I thought I could use the oven since my bride wasn't at home, no harm ,no foul or so I thought.

Let's just say spray painting those hugs was a expensive proposition, I had to buy here a new stove but I did end up with a oven in the garage for future experiments.

Forrest Gump had a sayomg about people like me at that time. :D HRP

ffr1222k, 3W JOHN and wraymen like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wrinkle finish on Harley jugs...........good.
    Wrinkle finish on human jugs......not good!

29bowtie, BJR, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my blue tooth radio box I built out of steel and had it wrinkle powder coated. The finish is amazing. I will do the same to my new AC box I am building for my shop truck.
    upload_2019-8-21_11-2-47.png

Chavezk21, egads, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  19. The fabrication of the box is spot on as is the finish. HRP

ffr1222k, 3W JOHN and Bandit Billy like this.
  20. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, is there any place in the upstate that does powder coating?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Buck sold his powder coating business but Jimmy still works for the company and I heard they let him do some outside work on his days off, I'll see if I can get his number and I'll send you a PM. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like you because you make things so easy for me to understand. :cool:

egads, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Is Jimmy the guy with the nice blue and white 1956 chevy in Sandy Springs?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. lake_harley

lake_harley

I kinda edited your post a bit to get to my simple question. Rustoleum Hammer Finish paint comes in cans like pints and quarts? If they do I could see using it on a "daily driver" suspension. Seems it would be cheaper and less mess than poof cans.

Lynn

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

26. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Yes it does. Or at least it did the last time I looked, maybe 2 years ago. But as I said it’s weird paint. It starts “going off” right away. Gets stringy. Gotta keep a wet edge.

27. upspirate

upspirate

There is also a spray

28. Its really nice living next to a powder coat shop. We are always experimenting with a different finish. The owner powder coated his Bronco frame silver hammer finish. It came out beautiful.

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

upspirate, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I used black wrinkle / hammered finish on some spark plug wire brackets. Came out ok, mostly hidden anyway.

I used silver textured finish on the alternator and a/c brackets after stripping the purple off and modifying them. Was aiming for an as cast aluminum look, and I’m happy with the results.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

upspirate, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. Yes & no, that is Jimmys car but if you saw it in Sandy Springs it was at his cousins house, Terry has the black & white '55 Handyman wagon. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.