Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wrinkle Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Have you ever used wrinkle finish on car parts?

If so, what did you paint and how did it turn out? HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3W JOHN and Deuces like this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like Krylon. Put it on as wet as you can and right into an oven. Better yet, let your favorite power coater do it for you. Gary

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Torana68 like this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I really like the look of wrinkle finish but it's been years since I've used any. At least some 426 Hemi valve covers were wrinkle finish if memory serves so it can't be too bad. ;)

Now that you've brought it up, I wish I had done wrinkle finish on the new pair of raw steel SBC valve covers I just painted low-gloss black.:(

Lynn

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I used to use it on the jugs of my Harley. Turned out nice.

5. I have used it a few times. Like stated above, put right away in an oven or use a heat gun. On hot southern sunny days like the 100 degree days lately, you could probably just let the outside temps cure it properly.

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

First time I saw it used was in the late 60's. My brother painted the valve cover on my mother's Austin Healey 3000 and I was amazed. It looked cool as hell. He called it Crinkle paint.

7. Use VHT. Put it on real wet and take a heat gun to it. I used it on cycle and dash parts. It looked real good. The trick was the amount that you put on.

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The only comment I can say is for best results, always use a fresh can and not one that's been used sitting on the shelf for 6 months

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Murphy32 like this.
  9. Fordors

Fordors

OK @gnichols, you must be single huh? :cool:

I prefer Krylon also but have had good results with VHT too. I value my life so I don’t use my wife’s oven but I have put the item out in nice, bright sunlight around noon time to get it good and warm, sprayed the paint and let it dry in the sun. Worked great.
    Danny, if that first photo is representative of the effect with Rustoleum it is not what I get with the other paints, Krylon and VHT wrinkle like the old school finishes we’re familiar with.
    Disclaimer- then again it has been a long time since I bought any wrinkle paint, the formulas may have changed.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Hnstray like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In the 70's I had an Enderle injector hat for my carb scoop, it had never been machined or polished and I used a wrinkle finish on it, don't recall the brand, it turned out pretty good but it took some trial and error to get a consistent pattern/finish.
    I actually got the idea from my pals' 66 Plymouth Hemi rocker covers which were factory wrinkle finish.
    Sorry, photo is in computer lockup.

11. Like you guys, I used it on Harley Davidson jugs and car dash many years ago. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. I have used it on dash boards and rocker covers. I have not used any in decades.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I did a valve cover for a ot Toyota pickup. After it was dry, I sanded and polished the lettering and ribs. Looked cool.

14. 62rebel

62rebel

I use it for air cleaner lids and valve covers. Tried it out on a dashboard and door tops on my first Falcon, too large of an area to get a good finish. There used to be a brown version that was popular for a while. I have a can of black that is still good after three or four years on the shelf. Just used it the other day on the air cleaner lid on my 460.

15. upspirate

upspirate

I've used it on valve cover and OHC timing belt cover on a 2300 Ford, like BamaMav, I sanded the ford script and cleared over it.
    I like it on valve-covers,timing cover, and oil pans....cheap dress-up contrast, and doesn't show any oil seepage.
    '60's Mopars had them on performance engines

28rp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. The sample image and spray can was pulled off the internet, Back when I used it the copany that made it was Illinois Bronze and they made it in several different colors. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ferrari and Aston Martin stuff years ago, works real well if you heat the parts first. Bob

29bowtie, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Harley Davidson brand is light years the best. I have in the past recommended this to a friend over on the “barn” in the UK he paid $40 a can & said by far worth every penny. I highly recommend despite the cost.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    Tony

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  19. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I used it many times on inner fender panels and firewalls. It covers small imperfections(little surface prep - just free of grease and oil). It also is easy to clean and engine oil and emissions does not seem to affect it. Follow the directions , apply up and down and across ( avoid runs at all costs) and follow the time intervals. Hard to put an assembled front cap in an oven , so do as suggested let the noon day sun and heat do it's thing . Later Bill

20. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Many moons ago, 64 Bonneville with a 389, painted motor cherry red, took a set of Mickey Thompson valve covers and VHT black krinkle paint, , polished the tops of the fins. Painted pulleys semi gloss black with a thin cherry red pinstripe on each one.

Nice small chrome spark plug separators with black plug wires. Finished off with a small 8" air cleaner.

Every time I opened the hood to check oil at the gas pumps I'd always end up with at least 2 or 3 guys walking around it. It was awesome ;)

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Used it on a pair of Sheetmetal valve covers. After my last coat(used 2 coats) put a 100w light bulb under them for a couple of hours. worked fine & lasted for at least 15 yrs or more on a daily driver motor. Everyone thought it looked good, especially after my artist wife repainted the stamped logos in the covers the correct original colors.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  22. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

First and only time I ever used the stuff was probably 30 years ago. Painted the valve cover on my 223 six banger. I’m from Arizona, so there’s your oven. I remember liking the way it turned out.

3W JOHN, jetnow1, 62rebel and 2 others like this.
  23. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Never tried the bombs , but I found out many moons ago that after you shoot your panel, thicken up your paint and spray it out evenly ,kinda like cotton candy hair. Ive done quite a few things using that method but mostly engine bays. Actually discovered it by accident.

24. It's always looked good on the old Cobra valve covers. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

love that stuff. painted the valve cover and lifter covers black on a chevy inline 6 and they really set off the orange engine color!

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Other than you can’t wipe it off easily, I like it. Always had the heater or oven ready. I agree with the HD cans. Did my barrels and didn’t take it off the edge of the fins.

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

My totally stalled 1956 Chevy 210 project :confused:

Rattle canned after a sand blasting...

B09F5510-E3F3-4D52-82B9-5AE50DDDE610.jpeg 6AF1F27A-243D-49BB-99E6-59619D6A5A8F.jpeg FABF5BAA-920D-4941-B8BF-2B0EC8B70587.jpeg

28. kursplat

kursplat

thanks for the tips everyone, just got a can of VHT to do some dash parts with

29. A Boner

A Boner

Thought this was a thread about the many faces on the H.A.M.B!

29bowtie, ffr1222k, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about Rustoleum wrinkle paint but their bed liner paint is a PITA to spray. Now I always use Krylon for bed liner paint, works much better. That said if was me I'd go with anything but Rustoleum.