Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wrench on it or drive it? Which do you enjoy more?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spencurai, May 7, 2008.

?
  1. I love wrenching more than driving.

19.9%
  2. I love driving more than wrenching.

29.2%
  3. I can honestly say I enjoy both equally.

48.4%
  4. Neither. I bought my car to put in a garage to stare at.

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I definitely had more fun with my car before it ever made it out of the garage under it's own power.

Since I've had it on the road (2003), I've worked on it much less because I always wanted it to be mobile, so I didn't get as much done each year as I would have wanted.

This year I decided "screw it, I'm going back to my old ways" and my car is now a big mess in the garage - another re-style in-progress - and now I am again enjoying it more than I have in years (and getting more done too).

2. 4bangerNick

4bangerNick

Yeah both are fun in their own way.......but better if ya got at least one that is drivable!

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I really like to drive my old cars. don't have one that runs right now....

4. BigRed390

BigRed390

Love to drive it in the summer, but it's nice to tear it apart in the winter (nice also, because your blood runs slower in cold weather and thus doesn't leak out on shiny parts as fast! :D)

5. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I say that I like driving, but I have discovered that every time I get it driving again, I take it around the block a few times, maybe drive to the hardware store, and then bring it back to tear it all apart again to do something else...

I think I just like improving.

6. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

And what do you do for a living again? No talent required there, huh?;)

Vance

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

My only answer to that question has for many years been simply "Yes".

8. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I'm still in the learning phase. So most of what I'm building goes through a series of trial & error & cussing before I get it straight. Usually more cussing then the other two. So being able to drive it is really a reward for me.

Vance

9. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Ok. Five people chose the forth answer. Are you sure you're on the right forum?

Vance

10. greg

greg

Iv'e had my 39 on the road, (not finished) for about 6 years. I almost forgot how much work it was. Then last year I started on a 46 ford coupe for (with), my son to drive. I spent a lot of hours in the garage in the last year, and now every time we go out we take his car to get the bugs out. I can only drive one at a time, Boy that is a great problem to have!!!!!!!

11. Rockit53

Rockit53

I'm gonna have to 2nd this one...it's a love/hate relationship...if i didn't love it so much, I wouldn't hate it

12. I love working on cars, and love driving them, but I hate keeping them clean.

Sometimes I'm thinking, "I can't drive this thing looking this dirty", so I work on my project car instead, and the finished car sits there covered in dirt a r-e-a-l-l-y l-o-n-g t-i-m-e.

13. I have to say driving over wrenching.

But I think there's really nothing better than wrenching on it, and then driving it. The satisfaction is awesome.

14. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

The worst thing for me to do is to get one driveable but not finished. Then its harder for me to get motivated to finish it after i've scratched the itch.

15. pjones

pjones

I always thought I was a driver with a passion for wrenching....But it took those around me to point out that I am a builder not a driver....4 projects later I see now they are right...I have alot of pride in my work..Perhaps too much....I get sweaty palms everytime I pull one out of the PROTECTION OF THE SHOP, and cruise the roads with JOE PUBLIC.....I spend a lot of time on the road in a daily driver work truck....Close calls all the time....I have had lanes closed off by the best of them, but never have I had someone close off a lane in a classic....Something they built....It's always some easily fixable modern hunk of metal....

I would drive my rides every singel day, if I could be surrounded by people that had as much pride in their work as I do.....Or at least people that realize how hard it would be to replace it if you wrecked it.....That would make me feel a ton better....But as long as I have to compete for space with vehicles that could be repaired at any Maico out there, I will always prefer the saftey of my Shop....

Now I do take them out...So don't get me wrong...None of the rides are trialer queens or anything like that.....But I'm always nervous....The smile doesn't hit my face unitl they are safely stored away again....

Another reason I should just build them and I SHOULDN"T drive them....The thumbs up, and heads turned and general once overs are like a testosterone shot straight to my brain....That pride thing turns into teenage antics real fast.....I was sitting at a light on my way to get my photos taken of the Mustang for my insurance....Yeah well....All it took was the guy saying something about the motor sounding "Healthy" next thing I know I hit the line lock and filled the intersection with smoke!!!! I was like four cars back from the light...Not a great idea at all....That isn't "ME".... ....That's me on HORESPOWER!!!!

So like I said...If I had to pigeon hole myself...I'm a Wrench....With a passion for WHAT I build....

16. In the dead of winter, there's nothing better then a little garage time working on one of the cars, but when spring comes I want to be out driving and have a hard time doing alot of work on my stuff.

17. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    from Ogden,Utah

Building stuff is fun, but once you can drive it, it is very hard to spend the time to finish it.
    I would rather drive my tub then do most other things in life.

18. I drive to get somewhere...

And I wrench to get AWAY! :)

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like to work on the project cars when I am creating or building but I don't look forward to working on the daily drivers anymore. I have never owned a car that I had to pay someone else to work on with the exception of work that I don't have the equipment to perform.
    Still nothing beats getting in a car that you built from scratch and driving off down the road.

20. moefuzz

moefuzz

I have to be working on something to be happy.

Cruising is fine but it's something I only get to do once a year if I'm lucky.

Laying underneath a project is something I enjoy every chance I get.

21. moefuzz

moefuzz

While listening to the Mischke Show????

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

My Motto is 'If it ain't broke, fix it anyway'

23. Road Runner

Road Runner

Both and for different reasons.
    Something extremely rewarding about restoring a 60 year old neglected piece of art and making it run as good as it was intended.
    That feeling when you got something done in your garage after a long weekend is like no other.

Taking out the ride is another feeling all together and the feeling of safety and accomplishment is simply there and for real.
    I will never know how driving must feel when somebody else did all the work.

24. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

Driving = Lots of fun
    Wrenching = Equally fun, but in a different way (hard to explain)
    Wrenching because it broke = not as much fun

25. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

I love driving the thing... that's why I own it. If I needed something to work on and didn't enjoy the thrill of herding a 58 year old 3200lb hunk of steel through an endless maze Toyotas and various other plastic incantations, I'd go back to modifying and repairing old guitar amps (nowhere near the headaches).

Wrenching is fun when what I'm working on is easily accessable. I've never liked being under a car that is up on a jack, and I doubt I ever will (always afraid it will give way). However, I spent the last three days trying to free a starter from my parts car and drop it in the project car (try to avoid getting underneath the car). I finally sucked it up, got underneath, pulled and reinstalled the thing. It was immensely satisfying to fire the thing up (it was not fun installing the starter however... whoever decided where to stick the starter on a Mopar Flathead 6 should be beaten with a ballpeen hammer).

John

26. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

I like to wrench on it more. but breaking stuff comes a close second

27. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

I would have to say driving, but the more you drive the more you wrench, the more you wrench the further you can drive.....hmmmm

28. Vorhese

Vorhese

I do love working on cars/bikes as long as I have another ride while I work on the other. Especially when there's a dramatic difference afterwards, aesthetically or performance wise. Also learning new things. What I dont like is spending the money on fixing/maintenance. And gas.

But I can't beat the feeling of a sunny day with my windows down, my dog's head out the window, and me smoking my pipe. No radio, just an engine.