Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wrench on it or drive it? Which do you enjoy more?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spencurai, May 7, 2008.

?
  1. I love wrenching more than driving.

19.9%
  2. I love driving more than wrenching.

29.2%
  3. I can honestly say I enjoy both equally.

48.4%
  4. Neither. I bought my car to put in a garage to stare at.

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. This is a question we see throughout our lives as tinkerers and gearheads. I enjoy a lot of the build process but I will tell you right now I like driving the fruits of my labor more than I like wrenching on them. I get sick and tired of turning the damn wrench after a while and I just wanna get out and drive.

So take the poll...what do you enjoy more?

2. Rusty

Rusty

I get a different feeling when performing both. Almost like a different sex position

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...that's a loaded question since my current Headache is a Vee-Dub! Ain't no way around working on those things (I believe that all German soldiers musta WALKED to the battlefield now!), and if you ever get one running long enough to get out of the driveway, you'll be glad that they're light and easy to push...so you can shove it back home from two blocks away and work on it some MORE!!

I do enjoy driving those things...but it ain't something you can do very often (and never very far!), so for now...I gotsta work on it...a LOT more!!

:D

4. zapp69

zapp69

Love working on them, is easier when I have something to Drive the Sh*t out of at the same time though

5. i love working on and driving mine, and other peoples stuff

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

I like working on them just fine, but I'd rather be driving them (yeah it's why I got out of VW's, at least they were easy to work on:)).

7. It's a loaded question for sure because I love to drive and my buddy Jeff loves to wrench. I tried to talk him into driving the other day and I kinda regret it because we did a 50 mile trip on surface streets in heavy traffic in this beast for some parts to go in my stroker....

[​IMG]

My brain is still pounding from the rumble this thing makes but I tell you what
    it was worth it. I think it was the combo of the rumble and the partially combusted hydrocarbons that made their way into the cab but I still prefer driving over wrenching.

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

Gee, you had to drive that, darn it!:rolleyes::D

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No question about it....DRIVING is my passion:D

10. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I'm a driver. If I had the talent of some of you guys, then I'd probably be a builder too.

Doc.

11. 38pickup

38pickup

I love it every time i fire my truck up and punch it... there is no feeling like it except maybe sex.

12. Neither. I Hate Cars.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive got one now to drive and one to wrench on..although soon to be wrenching on the driver..kinda like a yin and yang thing..really ..I would rather be driving

14. jonny o

jonny o

It's easy... wrench in the winter, drive in the summer.

Hack, you honestly are one of a kind brother.

15. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

I'd rather wrench on them in the Winter months, and drive them in the Summer months.......

16. novadude

novadude

Depends on my mood, but I would say I like both equally. However, there are times when I will tear into the car for an "improvement" and things aren't going well, and I think to myself... "You know, I should have just kept this #@*#$ together and drove it!". :)

17. I enjoy the planing and building of a new ride,,,having finished my truck about 7 months ago I have driven 4,860 miles so far,,,so driving rates as high as the building,,, HRP

18. I,m a mechanic.....last thing I want to do when I get home is work some more.Phone rings constantly from people looking for free advice or labour. What I love best is being out in the woods stripping a new found old car. No phone,no knocking on the door, no dipshits pulling up in the driveway.Its peacefull I must say......

19. jonny o

jonny o

Doing it right now bro... the warm days don't last long in Ohio and I have very few weekends off during the season.

20. TwistedShifter

TwistedShifter
    BANNED
    from NorCal

I like both, but seems like I have less time to wrench lately. I think for me the satisfaction in wrenching comes when it's done and I've accomplished something. I enjoy driving in and of itself, but I also enjoy the realization that I made something roadworthy. Now, give me a 427 Cobra or a McClaren F1 and screw the wrenching...at that point it's ALL about driving...

21. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i love to build them and it rewarding to drive them afterwards. but i will not wrench on a daily driver!!

22. HotRodDriver

HotRodDriver
    from Oklahoma

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I hate working on em but I love to drive them. So what can you do if you've got no money...........sigh

24. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Both, they work together for the joy of it. It's much better to drive with a feeling of utter satisfaction those that you've put together and made/built. If not, might as well drive something new and comfortable.

25. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I love driving what I've wrenched on. Lately the wrenching part causeds more aches and pains so I dont spend as much time doing the wrenching part. I keep at least one driver going to I can take a break from the wrenching.

26. bigken

bigken

If you drive it, your guaranteed to be wrenchin' on it............. That's why there was so much truth in the 'widewhitewalls' - "DRIVE" "WRENCH" "REPEAT" posters.

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I have that set of posters in my office.

Driving a car that you have wrenched on gives you a sense of security. You know the car because you have shed blood getting it to where it is. This past weekend was the first road trip for the T and I felt confident in setting out because, even though I wasn't the builder on this car, I have been over every exposed nut and bolt. Call it a pre-flight inspection, but I wanted to be familiar with the car before taking off.

I was pretty sure that short of catastrophic failure of some major component my tool bag would get me back up and running.

They go hand in hand in my opinion. Totally different experiences but both rewarding in there own way.

28. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

I have yet to build a car from scratch (starting to look now) but I can honestly say that my bike lost some of the thrill when I finally finished.

29. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Wrench to drive, drive to wrench.

30. 65 impala

65 impala

would luv to know how it feels to drive it? But got to finish it 1st no option for me lol. :eek: