Register now to get rid of these ads!

wrecking yard in IL with lots of old iron

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by str8axleford, Mar 4, 2008.

1. str8axleford

str8axleford

Well, I found it finally... I was looking all over the place for the business card from Ivans wrecking yard in newark IL, its on Ottawa rd and rt 71. He has a lot of cars. I remember picking parts in there with my dad way back in the day (like 20 years ago). well, I was down there, and its still there. I got his card. his phone number and it is 815-695-5117. I am not sure thats the same number, but I am sure it is. His name is Ivan Nelson. really nice guy. Give him a call to find out the specifics of what hes got in his yard. To get there....
    Take Rt 71 north from 80 (if coming from the south) and when you come into newark, look for the long white fence. thats the yard. from the north take I-55 to rt 126 (if coming from the city) or take rt 30 (from the south). 30 turns into 126 for about a mile, just stay on 126. take 126 to rt 71 turn left. and drive. its a cruise and a half. Well worth it though. If your in newark and hungry, eat at the newark cafe... good eats... Just thought I would share. Gary

2. ...I visited Ivan's place probly 20 years ago, I'm surprised the stuff is still there...I'm surprised the city or county hasn't run him out of business.
    I did drive by maybe 3 years ago to check, but it was summertime and stuff was hid by trees/bushes pretty good, could only see the stuff around the edges.
    ...Did you get to look around and get any idea what's left, or any idea on prices.

3. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Keep us posted on what you find out. I live in Peru, IL. If you can't make it there, I could make a run on my day off.

4. Tin Can

Tin Can

I may have to take a different woute home someday and see if i find the yard. I am pretty close to 71

5. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Where is Newark, IL?

6. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

About 10 miles north west of where the Pile-Up is held.

7. dmac620

dmac620

I am visiting friends in May that live about 15 miles from Newark, IL. This would make a great road trip while there. Thanks for the heads-up.

8. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

9. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

Any of you guys go, take some good pics. It would be interesting to see how these cars hold up from up north after all these years.

Thanks

10. Not going until April...I'll have my camera with and tools ready.
    Hopefully, I wouldn't be disappointed?!
    I'll post pictures eitherway...

11. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I can go when ever. If some of you guys want to meet up and check this place out. Then catch a bite to eat?

12. Tin Can

Tin Can

I would be interested in taking a trip up that way to check out what they have there. Im busy this weekend but next weekend would be a go

13. Beecher

Beecher

im starting to think about my next project. please let me know about any prewar ford coupes or roadsters! im about 8 hours away, so if there is alot of good stuff, i will head out there in the spring one weekend, and see whats what!

thanks alot

Beecher

14. I wasn't planning on going until...Saturday, April 19th

Is there any place in Newark,IL to meet for breackfast on Saturday?!?
    If not there's a nice places in Morris...

15. str8axleford

str8axleford

Well, It is still there.. I wasn't in there, but I know he is still there. can see stuff through the fence. A good place to have food is the newark cafe right there like a block from the yard... good food. Reasonable.

Last time I was there was probably about 5 years ago, Ivan was still alive. He is really up there in age. Don't know if hes still alive. I wonder if he still follows you around in the yard yet.. He used to. lol. Till he got to know us, then he just let us in. We were there every weekend when I was little with my dad.

16. str8axleford

str8axleford

If anyone is up to going this weekend, pm me, I would like to go n check it out. Been a long time. Thanks, Gary

17. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Im gonna be buzy the next 2 weekends. Im open during the week days.

18. Tin Can

Tin Can

Ok guys, I have off the 21-24 if anyone is interested in going to the yard, we could setup a date and time to meet. I can call the guy and make sure he will be open on said day. let me know if anyone is interested in this weekend. keep in mind that the CC garage days are the 21st, that is a little out of my way to go to both in the same day

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

cc garage days?

Garage Days is Sunday April 20.

20. Tin Can

Tin Can

Oh, I was on the wrong mont and day then, So anytime that weekend would be cool. i will have to update my swap calender with the correct date. Thanks Django

21. How about Saturday, April 19th?!?

How about meeting for a H.A.M.B. & eggs breackfast around 8:00am?!
    What is the name of the local resturant in Newark,IL???

22. str8axleford

str8axleford

The restaurant is newark cafe on rt 71 right in the little town of newark. Sounds like a plan... Hopefully we have nice weather, I am dying to ride my bike. Will just have to bring the little camera. lol

23. might be in...sounds cool, but what are we talking cars wise....30's 40's 50's???

24. Don't know what is still in there?!?

If you go...We'll see you at breakfast?!

25. will the snow still be there.....ruined my friday!

26. mickticulus

mickticulus

I had been in that yard about 15 years ago looking for '32 chevy parts. Ivan wouldn't let anyone in unless you told him exactly what you were looking for and then he had to go with.

At that time I saw some RedRam Hemis, early 30's Chevy and Essex. Lots of other 30's and 40's cars that I wasnt really interested in at that time.

I've been told Ivan now has alzheimers. I tried getting in last year to find parts for a new project without much success. Spoke with both his wife and daughter and let them know what I was looking for, but thats as far as I got.

Word is that his family isn't letting anyone in until Ivan passes and then they will decide what to do with the whole collection.

27. Has anyone tried recently....Say in the last month, week or this year?!?

28. hotrod35

hotrod35
    from IL

This is a little late, but Ivan passed away and most of the stuff was hauled over south of Sheridan. A couple guys looked and most cars were rust about 2 foot up. Some broke in half when picked up with a fork on a tractor. This is according to a friend that hauled some of them.

29. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Another one gone. I hope you guys got lots of stuff.