Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wrecked my coupe today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoSurf, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Fenders

Fenders

Glad you came out OK !
    Hey, a bent Magnum axle? Didn't everyone think those cast axles would SNAP?

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Glad you are ok Jay but it sucks about the car. Hot rods are more fun to drive (then build and rebuild). I'm sure you'll have it back on the road in no time. At least it is fall and not spring!

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

Well. Thank you everyone for the kind words. They do make me feel better.

I raised the front end up and slid the axle back under it and wired it up enough to drag it home last nite. Pushed it into the shop.

I think what bums me out the most are two things.

1. My good surfer buddy from Rhode Island is visiting me this weekend and my brother is coming out for Thanksgiving from Connecticut. I won't be taking them for a ride this time.

B. I hate the second guessing. Was the car safe? Am I a safe driver? I nor anyone else can really answer those questions.

No, I did not have my lapbelt on. In the one pic you can't see the wood from the pole stuck in the drip rail and wedged into the upper hinge.

One good thing, I live on a pretty rural road, and not one car drove by the whole time.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Jay... so sorry to hear about the accident, but I'm glad you are (pretty much) ok.

I wish I had some parts to donate to get you back on the road - I'll keep my eyes and ears open.
    When you get some parts collected, we'll come down and do a weekend thrash to get you back on the road!

Malcolm

5. HotRod33

HotRod33

Glad to hear your okay, as far as the bigger faster stronger thats great just not on the gravel road again.........I have been there my oldest son wrecked my 48 ford pickup several years ago . He reared his buddy but they weren't doing anything stupid though...At least thats what he told me........

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Thank the Lord no one was injured. I would believe that you are a very good driver and you can fix that cool Hot Rod because they are built to drive. That car took a hit to save you, so fix her up and go again.....safely.

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

my heart sunk. I love your coupe! But I know it will come back better than ever.

Hope you are feeling ok today.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

damn...that sucks. The bank of larry is open, and so is my parts stash if you need em...chin up. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. You know they put those poles in the damndest places. Like all the rest I'm glad it wasn't any worse and the injuries were minor. Now look on the bright side it's time for some upgrades and improvements on the coupe and I know the results will be good >>>>.

10. Kerry67

Kerry67

Glad you did not get hurt. As cool as they are they are just cars and they can be fixed.

11. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Glad to hear your ok, I'd be so sick if that was my car. My 40 Chevy coupe went squirrely one time going over a raised expansion break right as the highway curved. I thought I was going to roll it. I never did know what caused it for sure. The steering shaft was close to the header I gave it a little more relief it never happened again. I was lucky it didn't roll over or hit anything.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Whoa Jay...glad to hear your body is OK...other body is hurt, but repairable...that's (fortunately) the only type of crash to be in...you walked away, the car can be fixed...

Ya gotta watch out for those gravel roads, they can be a little tuff to maneuver...!!!!

R-

13. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I'm glad that you're alright and that you're taking this as an opportunity to build that thing bigger and badder so you can REALLY lose it LOL (which is exactly what I would do). On a different note... some of the pics you took of the wreck are pretty good. Have you thought of putting them in black and white? With the old barb wire fence up against the car and all, it honestly looks like a wreck from the 50's. I know i'm retarded... but those pics would look great in black and white. If it was my car, that would be on the front of my Christmas cards this year...

Just a thought :)

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Glad to hear you're alright man, sucks the car is bent but truly, all that matters is that you're OK.

15. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Dang Jay, Not a good visual for me this morning. Am glad your OK. Most of my A stuff went north but if I have anything you need It's yours.

Keep us posted on the resurection.

GV

16. raven

raven

Glad you're ok.
    But man, your wife is going to kill you!
    If you need anything I have let me know.
    r

17. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

That sucks .I guess you got that first scratch out of the way.Thanks for sharing your pain at least you walked away .Good luck with the repairs

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to hear and see that you are here to tell about it and have a bit of humor in the situation.
    Sorry about the car but I foresee it coming back with the improvements that you had in the back of your mind along the way.

I'd say that the Magnum axle should be a permanent wall hanger in the shop in a prominent place.

At least you were in a closed car, I've packed a scar on my neck for the past 42 years from running my brush buggy through a barb wire fence on a similar gravel road about the same distance from the house.

Now, what are the plans for the rebuild beyond getting the frame straight and replacing the bent and broken pieces? Progress reports required>

19. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

That sucks bad, good to hear your ok though. Guess its time to rebuild it better and stronger, although it looks like it took a good hit pretty well.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Man that sucks, glad you're ok and the car is fixable. Not every day you read about a HAMB member you've actually meet. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I was so bummed to see that on my phone last night.

I'll be helping however I can.

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's horrible!! Damn, glad you're ok though.

23. 067chevy

067chevy

That sucks. Glad your ok.

24. You're a lucky man, Jay. But you already know that!

Your thread title was so nonchalant....I looked at the pics first. Scared me!

25. Man that sucks. And like the others have said at least you didn't get hurt.
    This may seem out there, but the 1st two photos have a look that could have been 40 years ago, and that's a compliment to the style of the car. Once you're over the pain of this I think you will agree it's a pretty cool old time type photo. if i were in your shoes I blow one up and proudly hang it on the wall!

26. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Damn. As much as it sucks to have your car broken, that can be fixed. You cant be fixed as easily. Glad youre ok.

27. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

dude, that pic scared the hell out of me last night... these do it even worse.

glad you walked away. sux about the coupe bro.

its been a BAD year for Vagabonds rides

28. luciomduran

luciomduran

Man, I Am glad you are all right. Cars come and go my friend.

29. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

I can't tell how sorry I am. Hang tough!

30. Dude that sucks... sorry to hear it but glad you are ok.