Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wrecked my coupe today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoSurf, Oct 30, 2008.

1. NoSurf

NoSurf

Got my new master cylinder installed today, brakes bled and adjusted. Decided to take it down the road and back for a quick test drive.

Fired up the new flatty, warmed it up. Went down my driveway and stopped, took a right onto the gravel road. Got going, shifted into second and the car got a little squirrely, went over to the left side into the loose gravel. I musta over corrected and went across to the right side, headed for the ditch. Got it turned some to the left, but not enough.

Hit a power pole with the right front tire. Snapped it off at the base and about halfway up. Got tangled in the barbwire fence and came to a stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I came out ok. Bruised my shins and I have a black & blue on my right bicep. Just really bummed I guess.

Gonna cost about a $1000 for a new power pole.

Damage assessment so far:

Frame is bent (AA Ford)
    Axle bent (Magnum 4" dropped)
    Main leaf is toast
    Right spindle (47 ford) arm broke off
    Wishbone mount snapped
    Windshield smashed
    Radiator damaged
    Fan bent up.
    Right water pump motor mount broken.
    Right front tire toast.

But- my gennie '32 grill shell is repairable and so are the insert bars (Thanks NealinCa!)

Time to go bionic.

we can rebuild him.

better...
    stronger...
    faster...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. LabRat

LabRat

Glad to hear your OK , It takes a big man to admit his mistakes and it takes a sense of humour to show it to the rest of us !

Many a cool car has come from trips to the ditch ....

3. Keep up the good attitude. Bad luck, everything happens for a reason.

4. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

That sucks but i'm glad to hear your ok and thats more important....The rest can be fixed in time.....The worst is the cost of the pole...trust me...i know! :)

5. Spedley

Spedley

Yikes.... Sorry to hear the horrible news. And even on one of the first rides... My condolences... Least you have your spirits!

6. slepe67

slepe67

DUDE! Glad youre ok, the windshield wasn't from you hitting it, is it? That sucks seeing your ride all jacked up. You'll be back on the road in no time...WAIT....you have to buy a power pole because you hit it???? maybe I'm too tired...

7. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Damn that sucks! was the pole really so damaged it needs to be replaced?, and a thousand bucks!? Damn!

8. Sorry to hear about this. But just think, if was anything but old iron you were driving, it would be totaled and the pole would still be standing. You built one tough sum bitch.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, glad you are ok. Looks like it could have been a lot worse. It takes quite a bit to snap a pole like that. Good luck with getting it back together.

10. Muttley

Muttley

That sucks, go out in the garage and take your frustrations out on something with a ball peen hammer.

11. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Losing control of a car is never fun, but it does kinda take your mind off things for a few seconds.

As for the car it's just fun tickets and metal, cut and weld, and she'll be better than new.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bummer man, my condolences.
    Doc

13. ray

ray
    from colorado

ouch!

glad your okay man.

14. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Dang, grand is cheap...they're charging about 2K round these parts if you take out a pole and your "at fault" course thats by the time everyone gets a peice of ya, (city, power co, regulatory commities, etc)

Glad YOU are alright, everything else will follow car looks like it faired pretty darn good...

15. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Glad you're OK. Shame about the car but you seem to be taking it a whole lot better than I would be.

Mark

Note to self: Do not hit power poles hard enough to break them.

16. Jimv

Jimv

That sucks!! But as long as your OK, windshield doesn't look too cool, did you hit it?
    JimV

17. flatoz

flatoz

damn. sorry to hear, going to be one hell of a tale when you get it going finally

"so this is a new car on the scene?"

"nope"

"really"

"yep, been built twice now"

glad your ok, thats the biggest thing.

I have a special hammer and piece of steel just for these occasions take my frustrations out on that.

18. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Glad your ok... Good attitude about the stuation.

Take lots-o-pictures of it's re-birth!!!

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Whew. As everyone agrees glad you are ok. Like the better stronger faster idea. Gary

20. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

so sorry to hear of this jay....... but very glad to hear your ok. please keep us posted on your progress with the rebuild, can't wait to see it up and running even stronger!!
    mike

21. striper

striper

HOTROD HOODLUMS have taken over the streets!

Sorry to hear (and see). Great story to tell the grandkids though...and you have the photos to prove it. Glad you're taking it so well. All the best for the rebuild.

Pete

22. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Man you are lucky to get out of there with only a couple bruises.
    That looks like it had the potential to do alot more damage to your body.
    Like sstated before, good thing ya built a strong car!

Out of curiousity did you have a seat belt on? Lap only?
    Did the doors pop open when you hit?
    Did the engine/tranny detach from frame?

Just curious to make sure I walk out of mine if anything like that ever happens!

Take care,
    TP

23. Cshabang

Cshabang

Sorry man. Happy to hear you're ok. Man that sucks...

24. hotcargo

hotcargo

Hey Nosurf , really sorry to read about your coupe , but glad your OK ,

.....are you sure your steering arm didnt break off first ?????? ...causing the car to become squirrely

I've crack tested a lot of early ford spindles over the years here in Australia and not a lot of stock ones have passed .......and only a few that have been heated and bent to some degree have passed

You might think we are a redneck country but we have some of the stringest laws regarding safety of suspension components

anyway mate it was just a thought ...........

cheers Steve in Oz

25. Doug B

Doug B

This doesn't sound right,but those are great pics...Obviously this SUCKS,and I feel for you,but you did a good job documenting the event.When you get it rebuilt no one will believe it,but you have the pics to prove it. Hang in there and post the progress of the " Bionic Coupe" .

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

makes me sick to my stomach to see those pics so big. they didnt look that bad on the cell phone screen last night.

i am just so glad you're okay. let me know if you need care packages from the stash. does that 47 front end you gave me have spindles, i wonder?

talk soon bro. chin up.

and remember the frame rails i have...

27. damn man , that bites the big one , good to see you came out of this ok ..

28. skwurl

skwurl

That sucks man. glad youre ok. Keep your head up.

29. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Glad to read you are ok. Working for the electric company I have seen much worse accidents involving poles. Sucks it had to happen to you and this car. Your car has to be one of my favorites. That thing is kool. At least it will be back on the road again. Take Care and glad you were not badly injured.

30. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Sounds like the power company should pay you, since it was their pole that ran out in front of your car.

Seriously, hope it all works out and you get it back on the road soon.