Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wray Schelin Metal Shaping Class

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fedcospeed, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

My son and I recently did a four day class at Pro Shaper Shop,run and owned by Wray Schelin in Charlton Mass.I highly recommend attending one of Wrays classes.He has them on his website and ebay and the description is spot on. We learned so much while there and the class has opened our eyes to a whole new way of fabricating.Our focus was on the right front fender of a 120 XK Jaguar.So many reversed curved parts!!!The class explains the different ways coach builders made a car like this and so many more.The class is hands on with about 90 % or more just that.
    Wray is an encyclopedia of knowledge and showed-explained just what it takes to take a flat piece of material and make a fender out of it.These and other techniques can be used on any type or year car!! This is a must do class,even if you never touched a english wheel before or have limited experience.Here are some pics from the class with my 23 year old son at work.

Attached Files:

ABONES and Rich B. like this.
  2. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Absolutely agree. Thought I knew quite a bit about sheet metal shaping until I attended his class and quickly found out I was an amateur! Really great guy and I hope I can go back again.

3. mink

mink
    from CT

image.jpeg image.jpeg I also attended Wrays Coachbuilding Class of April. The class was thorough and well structured. Wray answered all my questions and I left with good technique and direction. I wouldn't consider any other class, what wray teaches can be achieved without expensive machinery

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    ABONES likes this.
  4. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too am a disciple of Wray Schelin. I attended his class twice about ten years ago, and I fully intend on going back for the coach building class maybe next year. Its quite an experience.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics

6. redo32

redo32

What is the torpedo tail race car? The cast aluminum shell made me think about the Mystery Shell thread on here. P1010108 (3).JPG

7. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I was at Wray's February class. Incredible hand-on experience. I worked on the back half of a Jag rear fender, got it about 90% done before I had to leave. One word of caution - Wray likes to work from 8am till midnight. No joke. Makes for a VERY long 4 days.

You'll find that metalworking is something that takes 4-5 days to learn and a lifetime to master.

Chris

8. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

This is a Revere around 26-27. The owner is using the chassis and running gear and making the body.He has an all original touring stored there too.i will post pics of the cool headlights it has.This is one of the neatest touring cars ive ever seen.The speedster is using bigger spoke wheels that were made in Buffalo long ago. I think after my 47 Olds is done and my two old campers,its time for a one off build.This class has awaken a dream Ive had for some time now and with the new additions of equipment I just got,I really think I can do it now!!! One of the best parts about the weekend is I got to do the class with my son along side me.We worked together as a team. P1010109 (2).JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  9. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

BTT
    Anyone else attend this class. I have been think about attending one.

10. I want to attend one of his classes .

11. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

I took his class with a friend shortly before he moved into his new shop. Wray is the real deal he wants you to learn and will show you how to get the job done.