Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wrapping rear spring in tape?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, May 15, 2016.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I would like to WRAP my rear spring in the black cloth electrical tape. Could anyone shed some knowledge and or history on this subject. I was guessing it is to contain grease or other lubrication for a smoother quieter ride?
    Wyatt.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Way back, ran racers w/ cross spring front, put grease between leafs, wrapped w/ black electric tape to keep dirt out, grease in, today you can buy springs w/ teflon buttons between leafs, Posies brand name for one, had them on 2 Hot Rods, good product IMO.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I have said posies springs and want to hide this fact. I think the tape looks period and cool.

shawnsauto1 and wicarnut like this.
  4. indyjps

indyjps

If it's just for squeaking there's rubber sheet and Teflon inserts. If you want the look, then go for it.

5. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Before Posie started using teflon buttons in his springs it was possible to buy teflon strips that were the same width and length as the spring leaves. You'd put these between the leaves. It helped the ride. And before we ever heard of teflon, we'd cut strips of copper window screen to go between the leaves and packed them in grease. This helped the ride as you might expect. We then wrapped the spring in friction tape mostly for appearance but I suppose it kept in grease, kept out dirt, and looked tidy.

6. unkamort

unkamort

A little OT... I had an old Jag once that had fitted leather covers, that laced up like a shoe, over the leafs. Even had Zerks fitted into the leather somehow. 20+ years old at the time and was still soft and pliable. One of those great looks that nobody ever saw.

7. Yes, leather was real common on early cars and race machines

Elcohaulic likes this.
  8. stimpy

stimpy

on the rears they wrapped them in sheet metal shrounds and you greased them with a special grease gun that punctured the metal and allowed you to grease them . my pontiac still has them on it and they are clean on the outside .

9. Back in the hills of the Carolina's some Moonshine runners would disassemble the rear springs and cut screen wire to fit between the leaves and then use wheel bearing grease before re-assembly.

Then they would wrap the entire spring with friction tape,a lot sticker than electricians tape which is smooth and glossy.

The old '39 Ford I helped restore in the 80's was done this way. HRP

lothiandon1940 and Runnin shine like this.
  10. I wondered why the rear springs on my 47 fleetline were rapped in metal like that. Learn something every day.

11. The 40 Ford rear spring I have any in my 31 sedan is factory wrapped in sheet metal as well. I was told by a guy that did a lot of resto work on 40's that if it was wrapped it was on a deluxe. It really protected the spring.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Gaffers tape will hold up better

13. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

i just finished putting a custom 5 leaf spring on the rear of my RPU project. Didn't like the look of exposed leaves and concerned about dirt getting between leaves. I purchased 2-1/2" heat shrink tubing, easy to install gave a real clean look.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yes I want ruff textured fabric non-glossy looking tape. Like old make-shift racing handle bar grips.

15. Great idea. Assemble with synthetic grease, heat shrink and then wrap with friction tape for the look.

16. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

There's some good rappers in Detroit.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right on, @eaglebeak... So, are we 'wrapping' or just 'rapping'?

18. My 34 had strips of copper between the leaves. I took them out when I reversed the eyes. I then cleaned the leaves up real purdy & coated them with anti-seize. put it all back together & rides just fine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. manyolcars

manyolcars

You want friction tape

Dapostman and Runnin shine like this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Sorry guys on the spelling. I do these posts with one hand typing the phone and the other catching my 3 year olds from throwing themselves to their death. I'm am actually educated and can read although it seldom shows. Wyatt
    If I leave vinyl records in my package tray will the sun whorp them or warp them?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Them is called "spring gaiters".

22. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have the rear spring out of a 1946 in my '32 frame and it's still got the factory metal wrapped sleeve on it. The leaf spring centering pin is drilled and fitted with a zerk fitting as well as both ends of the metal sleeve.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's an old poster advertising spring covers for your springs... IMG_7564 small.JPG

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.

24. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=spring+liner

upload_2016-5-15_16-13-33.png

need louvers ? likes this.
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I thought about leather wrapping the front spring on my T build. Hmmm........

need louvers ? likes this.
  26. Road Runner

Road Runner

40s chevs had the rear springs wrapped in thin sheet metal with a hollow center spring bolt and a zerk fitting that distributed grease between the leaves.

The problem with wrapped leaf springs is that they trap moisture and corrode the springs.
    Probably OK in dry climates, if you keep them lubed like all the other suspension zirk fittings, but I wouldn't drive them in the rain.

Over the years I read about various problems with putting liners or buttons between leaves and just use new dry OEM springs for my drivers. They flex and ride just fine.

27. sunbeam

sunbeam

Friction between leaves is not a bad thing it acts like it's own shock Single leaf and coil springs will just keep on bouncing.

28. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. wsdad

wsdad

I've often wondered why they didn't put some sort of consumable friction material between the leafs to act as a shock absorber - kind of like a brake pad or clutch lining.

30. Bratton's Model A parts sells a vinyl wrapper with a pad inside that you coat with grease or oil.