Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WOW Interesting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

After a year and a half on the market I sold my 50 coupe for $8000. Half of where we started. Nice driving reliable car, paint not the greatest. Didn't like letting it go that cheap,but I was ready to move on. The good news is that the old guy that has it loves the car and will take it to the next level.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

I'll be keeping my A close to stock too. The last model A that I had I drove the crap out of it and it always got me home. V8 wheels and some period speed equipment, mitchel overdrive when the 51 sells. Don't forget the Flathead Fred brake upgrade.

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think another possible factor that may not have been considered yet is that the (likely TV show fueled) price bubble on cars, projects, & parts, prevented a portion of the younger generation from developing enough interest to actually buy into the hobby. Compound that with the sharp rise in housing costs during the same period and you have a pretty good set of reasons a young person would choose a tuner box and stuffing a kazoo up their daily driver Honda's backside over buying up a bunch of 70- 90 year old bits and pieces to fabricate on and assemble in a rented garage miles and miles from their overpriced apartment they share with too many roommates.

4. ElBurro

ElBurro

Rising living costs and economic uncertainty. I also see quite a lot of new high end Mustangs, Camaro’s, Dodge Demon and stuff like that on the road. Lot of horsepower from the Dealership with monthly rates.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Squablow

Squablow

Two good points here. A big one is space, that's why one specific part will sell on eBay delivered to someone's door for a big price, but big collections and piles or even parts cars sell for pennies, many builders don't have room to store tons of shit. It presents a huge opportunity to people who can make space and are willing to put the work into selling off individual parts.

I'm just not seeing tons of affordable, priced-right cars sitting for sale for long lengths of time. Most of the shit you see that's for sale forever is for sale for a reason. I have YET to see anyone here post a pic or a link to a great deal that has been for sale forever and won't move. TV auctions and anecdotes don't count.

arkiehotrods, jvo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Don't forget about those Huge "student loans" that drain so much "disposable income" from the budgets of those who might otherwise be building cars. When you can't afford/qualify to buy a house, you aren't going to be affording to build cars much beyond keeping your "beater" running....

7. SR100

SR100

Since shop class was replaced by 'STEM' in most American high schools, it makes sense that kids like cars they can tune with a laptop.

X-cpe likes this.
  8. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

Most people know what their car is actually worth, and with a little common sense you know when you have reached the level of money spent on a car where you can consider it money down the drain or money spent enjoying your car, but your not getting it back. I tend to back off when I know I'm getting up way beyond what the car is worth, if I do not plan on keeping the car long term.

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Is that the yellow Ford in your avatar? That tail light treatment is nice...

10. I think the point is a few years ago cars didn't need to be a "great deal" to sell now they do. Great deals will always sell but that's not the point, the point is reasonably priced cars are not selling as quickly as they have in the past.

47ragtop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Gee !! Sounds like the late 60's and early 70;s again . Hot rods ( street rods ) made a comeback then , maybe it will happen again but this time it will be with 1980 models i.e. 40 year old cars. Maybe -- Maybe not . Later Bill

chryslerfan55 and arkiehotrods like this.
  12. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a real problem with the statement that "Its cheaper to buy a finished car than to build one." I have worked on a LOT of other peoples cars that were purchased for big dollars, then find they aren't happy with the huge amount of bondo and such they find under the surface. Some of us are good builders, and some of us need to have someone do it for us. BUT, just because you pay a shop a hundred grand to build one doesn't mean that is what it is worth.
    I am presently mentoring a guy that has owned his OT muscle car since high school. He had it in one body shop and spent 10,000 and a couple years, then wasn't happy and spent another 5 grand at the body shop where he works as a mechanic. He now has the car at home, and is removing cracked bondo and poor workmanship on metal repairs. He is pretty much taking the car back to where he started and is doing the work himself.
    When I was a beginner at the metal shaping game, I toured a few big name shops. The most pleasant surprise for me was seeing metalwork that wasn't covered up by anything yet, and I could see that even I, as a beginner, could do work better than some of these "professional" shops.

vtx1800 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Seems like this is an annual thread.

A lot of cars are priced because someone spent way too much and wants to recoup their “investment”, so they exist in for sale limbo rather than being priced to sell.

The reality is; low-cost financing is available for high performance cars - with warranties, the same scenario as in the ‘60s when muscle cars came out. Couple that with the lack of auto shop classes in schools and the advent of computer controlled systems, the do-it-yourself mentality that older guys grew up with has diminished. No wonder most young folks do not want to plunk down big bucks for a hot rod. Original, untouched, survivor vehicles seem to hold value. Perhaps because buyers do not want to have unexpected problems with poor or ill concieved modifications or restorations.

The desire to get an old car and fix it up was an economic situation back in the day as it is now. Unfortunately the low cost, available cars are now offered as high priced “project” vehicles. I often look at a $5000 rust bucket, oh I mean “cool patina”, and think that should be about $500.

Not to mention the desirability factor. The more unique it is it is harder to find that buyer who appreciates those qualities. A ‘32 Ford 3 window done in a traditional mode will sell. A highly customized ‘50 Merc may take a while.

If you spent too much, paid someone to build it for you or think you bought an investment it may turn out to be a disappointment.

14. Joe_dirt1

Joe_dirt1

my 52 has been up for sale for a while, ya its a bit on the spendy side for most, but it was built with top quality parts and done right...ive go a bunch of trade opportunity's for Harleys and crotch rockets...yuk!..
    far as I can tell the nice cars that are not mainstream hotrods seem to sit forever, but the rat rods that have random parts welded all over the place, or anything "LS swapped " seem to get the most attention around here in the pnw.
    I don't need to get rid of my car, as it was intended to haul the family around reliably, but my kids never seem to be around much these days, id love to find a more traditional rod of sort...if not, then I just keep the 52 and enjoy

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I waited for years to buy my dream carLooked all over the country in ads. Everything I found was too high if it was any good. If it was in my price range it was junk. I once drove to Iowa to look a a convertible 65 Galaxie..... good story.......bondo poster child.....should have known not to go North! Even bought a substitute.....a 65 wagon to play with. Three months later, I found the car in my avatar 23 miles from my house .....under a tarp ......by accident. Not perfect, but a butt load of new parts, including complete suspension, wheels, tires exhaust system,interior and an XL to boot. And the price was in the basement! The owner had put a lot of money in it by hiring other people to do stuff and was just disgusted with it! It’s 2/3 the way there!
    Then I tried to sell my 65 wagon at a nice profit.........after a year...... I had a guy that I’m sure was going to buy it.....but I had bonded with it......so I called him and told him it’s was off the market.

My point in all this rant is...........patience! If you have it........ things will work out for you! Maybe....lol

Bones

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think every point you made is spot on. Just to add one point, I believe there are sellers that see a similar car for sale at a high price, list theirs and then have to sit on it. They are hoping for that one buyer.

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Guy's if you think the used car market is slow now just wait until 2020 because IF we hit any kind of recession the prices will be going even lower so think about that and how long you are willing to sit with your car for sale.

Many guy's will just say I don't really care but for others who could use the money instead of having a car in the garage it just might be time to sell now!

Hope I am wrong about 2020 but the old saying "The handwriting is on the wall" applies here.

Jimbo

18. I refuse to let the monetary value bother me. It's a hobby and I love my toys. The pleasure I get from working on them or sometimes just admiring them in a chair is unique. After I'm gone they will be worth something to my heirs but not what they were to me.

56don, williebill, rockable and 6 others like this.
  19. donno

donno

I usually attend a Sunday morning "gathering", pretty much the same group. Allways something for sale. One older gent has been trying to sell his 53 Merc for months. This is a sweetheart 2 door, p/s, 12 volt, 3 speed / o.d. Very decent paint, great interior, purrs like a kitten. Down to 10K, if I had the space....

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I posted this in the "Times are Changing in the Classic Car Market" thread and I will post it here as well:
    I just looked at eBay sold listings for the following vehicles: 1956 Nomad, 1940 Ford coupe, 1932 ford, 1930 Ford, and 1934 Ford. The prices they actually sold for were high, medium and low, as one might expect, depending on the quality of the car, etc. As I looked at the pictures and descriptions, I think the selling price for almost all of them was in line with what I thought they were worth.

Squablow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

No the yellow one is listed in the classifieds now.
    Thank you I modeled it after the Chuck DeWitt ford convertible but couldn't find a pair of useable 53 Pontiac tail lights. Also I felt like it needed a little chrome back there.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Market correction from years of overpriced TV show car flippers

Horders holding on to long

Young folks not interested cause the cool stuff was overpriced for so long

As a guy that likes to buy cheap and drive the fun out of em I’m excited.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    arkiehotrods, 56don and patmanta like this.
  23. I know prices have dropped in WI, this would have been 12-15K all day long 3-5 years ago. All original, except wheels, complete, solid, mostly original paint. Got it for 6.5K two months ago. 102_1205.JPG

Colonial Coupe and patmanta like this.
  24. the Kevin Heart CHP investigation is the current issue folks need to pay attention to
    value is secondary compared to not being able to drive em

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  25. Hi HAMB folks:

Been buying and selling old junk since 2006 pretty steady...I never sell a car for less than a 40% to 60% loss...it is just the way it works out for me...
    Way back in 1986 I bought a wrecked O/T Chevy for $1000.00 and swapped out parts and straighten parts and got $2600.00 for it...so the last one I made anything on was in 1986...the rest of them are money pits totally...I guess it is better than doing drugs but it is still not a smart thing to be in this hobby...it does keep me out of the bars tho...
    Will I continue to buy and sell/probably as long as I can...love to tinker with them...so it is the price you pay to play...

MikeC

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Damn, Mike, I hope you're getting your 40-60% worth of fun out of them first!

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think what you will see is the muscle car era cars and later will continue to climb. The older stuff will die off with the generation that loves them. My wife is wanting either a 67-69 Camaro or a 59-60 Chevy wagon. Both are bringing crazy money these days. I have been into wagons for 20+ years and it cycles hard.

28. sunbeam

sunbeam

People tend to buy car s they had or wanted when they were young. The people that wanted mussel cars are tending to sell not buy so more stuff out there. What is the average age on this site?

29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

The Muscle Car market already ballooned and popped, leaving tons of $65k+ restorations to be sold for $20 to $35k. The only cars that get the big money (last I looked) were the rare examples of premium editions of popular cars.

30. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That is closer to 5 million Model A’s built, that’s why there is so much out there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app