Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WOW an Update (#2) My '37 Chev truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ccj2

ccj2
    from Vale, Or

Real shame to see someone build such a nice vehicle, only to put the fuel tank in the bed :(

2. YJ4000

YJ4000

Just read both threads. Great work! Subscribed. I like the changes you made to the rear, you did a great job on the door panels and seat!! Looking foward to more.

3. Thanks guys!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. That's some impressive work . Its been a month since your last post there must be some progress . We need a fix !!!!

5. Haha not much unfortunately I had an issue with a gas leak to my garage that I couldn't get at until all the snow melted which was pretty much this week so I haven't been doing much. I did play around with the paint colour a bit more and have come up with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. commonut

commonut

Just stumbled across your two build threads. Looks great, some very similar ideas to what I have planned for my 40 pick up. Subscribed.

7. Well small update. I have been plugging away on the body work and it fucking sucks but I guss it has to be done. I painted my firewall. Sorry for the shitty picture but you get the idea. I used a 50% gloss on the paint as I didn't want it super shiny.
    IMG_7779.JPG

I also got some paint mixed up and sprayed from the variance deck picture of the Welch Merc restoration and I am not sure if something went wrong with the mix or if this is the actual colour it was but it is very green and not really very gold.

IMG_7775.JPG

So that is where I am at.

8. Got some paint on my dash as well. The blue was mixed to match the blue fabric in my seat inserts.

dash.jpg

9. That's a nice looking blue . It will look good once all the dash gauges are reinstalled . Stay at it .

10. Quick update. I bought some fibreglass running boards ages ago when I first started this build and to make a long story short they are shit so I am going to make new steel ones. I have to do them in multiple pieces because I don't have a long enough brake but this is what I have done so far.

I am doing each section in two pieces because the upper flanged part of the running board is curved to match the bottom of the cab so they could not be bent in a brake.

First I cut out the steel then for the upper flange I bend it 90 degrees and used the shrinker to get the shape I needed to follow the cab.
    running board 1.jpg

Then I ran it through the bead roller with a tank roll in it to start the large radius 90.
    RB 2.jpg
    Then the bottom. I rolled the bead for the bottom edge and made the two 90 degree bends.
    RB 3.jpg
    Rolled the corresponding flare to match the flange.
    rb4.jpg
    An finally mated together.
    rb 5.jpg
    Now I have to repeat the process for the back half of the board and then attach the stiffeners and mounting hardware to the bottom.

11. Thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Well not sure if anyone is still watching this or not as my updates have been far a few between but I have made mor progress on the running boards. This is kind of a hodge podge of pictures from work on both sides so if some things don't seem to match up that is why.

After getting the front tacked together I started on the back. Basically the same routine. I modified the shape of the back of the running board to kick in to run under the bed side rather than need a filler piece that comes away from the plane of the bed.

First I bent up and shrunk and stretched the vertical flange so I had an idea what shape the flat of the board needed to be.
    RB11.jpg
    Then I made a hardboard pattern for the top of the running board and bent up bead roller and then cut out the shape.
    RB5.jpg
    RB6.jpg

Then I made a hammer form to turn over a bit of the end that meets the rear fender.
    RB12.jpg
    RB9.jpg
    Then I rolled the curves on both the flange and base portions a fit it all together.
    RB10.jpg

13. And finally see how they fit on the truck.

RB8.jpg
    RB7.jpg

Now I have to weld them all up and put the bracing and mounts on the bottom and then modify the stake pockets from the way I originally did them as the piece I had originally planed for the space between the bed and the running board is not being used.

14. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Nice progress and it's looking great!!!

15. Awesome work Ian!!!

16. pila38

pila38

Very nice! I'm impressed with the running boards.

Do you really care what I used to post this message?

17. I'm still watching
    Nice fab work!

18. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Nice work man

19. brady1929

brady1929

20. Thanks guys! Well a little more progress I have them both welded up. Still need to do a little more metal finishing on them and then make mounts and bracing for the underside but getting closer.

RB13.jpg RB14.jpg

21. Well I finally got a chance to throw it all together quickly and take a couple of pictures. This is the first time I have ever had a chance to stand back and look at the whole truck on a flat surface. The front end is literally just thrown together to get the picture so none of the panels fit properly in these pictures as you can see by the hood sides sticking way out and the hood having a huge gap at the front. IMG_7783.JPG IMG_7784.JPG IMG_7785.JPG

22. Thanks! It's been a long time since I did it but I am pretty sure I took about 2" out.:oops:

23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

As a Kustom guy, I'm watching! Nice metalwork!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Thanks Mark!

25. That looks awesome!
    I think you have nailed the look you were going for.

26. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

looks good. I like the stance

27. Thanks guys I really appreciate all the comments. So now that I had modified the running boards and removed the piece I had before that filled the space between the bed and the top of the running board I had to modify the bottom of the stake pocket and make a filler piece. I decide to extend the stake pocket down and turn it in like I had at the back. and then just add a simple filler panel with a raised center section. This is what I ended up with.

stake pocket.jpg

bed fill 1.jpg

bed fill 2.jpg

So I have to finish welding the pockets up and finishing them off and then I have to extend the rear fenders a bit on the leading edge to match up with the bottom of the running board.

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

Damn that truck is looking fine! I love the stance and over all profile well done!

29. pila38

pila38

Looks awesome man, keep plugging away!

30. Thanks guys! I found out some pretty cool info today about my paint but in looking back I seem to have not really explained the situation on this thread. I had been updating the other thread I had going on about trying to figure out the Wally Welch Lime Gold colour so I will give you a quick run down. Basically I had started a thread over on Rik Hovings Custom Car Chronicle website to see if anyone might have an idea of how I could match the colour the Ayala's originally sprayed and a gentleman by the name of Manuel Reyes posted and explained how he thought the colour would have been done. It basically involved Lime gold lacquer and a certain gold powder to mix in. Anyways to make a long story short Manuel talked to a friend who had acquired all of Stan Betz's old lacquer paints. So Manuel and his friend spent an entire Sunday digging this paint out of the back of his friends shop and going through it to see if there happened to be some lime gold lacquer. Well there wasn't but they did find some yellow and green that Manuel figured he could mix to get a colour pretty close to what I was looking for.

I was planning a trip to southern California this past spring with my family for holidays and Manuel offered to do a spray out for me and invited me to go come by his house when I was in California to pick it up. We made the arrangements and I went by and picked up the sample and it was perfect. This is a picture of it and it does not due it justice.

[​IMG]

So I had found my paint and Manuel is currently in the process of mixing it up and sending it to me. We have been talking back and forth for a while about it and the '36 he is building for himself but today he sent an email and asked me to check out an article on the Pete and Jakes website about painting the California Kid. Well it turns out Manuel is who painted the flames on that car!. I had no idea and think it is super cool that I will have had my paint mixed by the guy that painted such a historic hotrod and I had to share. Here is the article about how Manuel and Pete painted the California Kid.

http://www.peteandjakes.com/Flame_Article.aspx

chryslerfan55, Stogy and gwhite like this.