Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wow! A half inch.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jokester, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Jokester

Jokester

After spending an hour removing the battery and box from where the PO installed it, I decided it was time to re-locate it. I moved it from under the car to under the passenger seat; it moved forward about 2 inches and up 3 inches. Much easier to get to and much more clearance around the exhaust pipe and the driveshaft. That move forced me to modify the seat mountings and put them on hinges so I could tip the seat back to access the battery.

In the process of building the hinges, I inadvertently lowered the back mount of the seats about a half inch. That was the best thing I ever did. The new seat angle is more comfortable, gives us more elbow and foot room, and a better view of traffic lights. I wish I had done that 9 years ago when I bought the car. Now it's even more fun to drive. BTW, the date stamped on the old battery was OCT 2004. I know, I should have bought a lottery ticket.

.bjb

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is the little things. I recently put buckets in my '60 Falcon. I took the time to match the height and angle of my other, modern vehicle, and it became a totally different car. So comfortable now, even on long trips. Probably 3º, and +/- 1" on each measurement, but a world of difference.

3. Are you telling us you have a 9 year old battery?:confused: HRP

4. metal man

metal man

That's what she said.

5. Jokester

Jokester

Yes. And I put a load test on it and it held up fine. I put it back in. It may die tomorrow, but tonight it worked fine.

.bjb

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's nice when you can accomplish two things that make the car better with one project.

I read a thread on another board the other day where a guy had his battery mounted above the exhaust with no access from above and had to remove the exhaust to get to the battery so he could remove the bracket that held it and get it out. A 2-1/2 hour process to get it out not counting the time to put everything back. Not something I want to do in a parts house parking lot in the rain.

7. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I had a '99 Dodge 3500. In 2010, I decided I would buy a new battery for it. The original was working fine but at 11 years old I was sure it would conk out. I told the guy at the battery place it was still a good battery...he took it home and put it in his junk truck. Lasted until last year.

8. Amazing,I can buy a 60 month battery and it's my luck it's dead in 3 years. HRP

9. Veach

Veach

One day out of warranty

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as for tilting seat, it is something that most people do not do. as you said, can make a big difference in a ride with cramped seating. if one can not tilt seat then wedge cut the seat bottom cushion.

11. Ice man

Ice man

Now as the battery breathes, and it really does that, the acid fumes will destroy the seat unless it is sealed off from the cab area. Iceman

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Gotta cherish those kind of days working on Hot Rods, they don't come often. Proves "laid back" is a better state to be in... :D

13. Leviman

Leviman

Haaaahhhhh

I plan to match the seat/steering/floor arrangement of my subaru in my coupe when I get to that stage. It's such a comfortable car to drive, I want this thing to be ultra comfortable and confidence inspiring around corners.

14. Christom

Christom

Yep I had read a bit about good vs bad seat setups on the HAMB before I did mine. Saved me a load of hassle and disapointment. Also "tested" the position BEFORE I sent the seat off for the tuck 'n roll job.
    Also I have used those battery maintenance trickle chargers for years - and they work. The only car we have that we don't use one on is the daily driver and the battery usually lasts only half the time at best. Worth the money I reckon.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

One of my old professors called those kinds of results "happy accidents" - better than expected or even anticipated. We often forget that building a hot rod is just like... wait for it... building a car! Detroit's engineers have spent years working out their designs for just those reasons. When you hit upon the solution, it's so much more amazing / worthwhile. Gary

16. "Wow! A half inch." Definitley something you don't want to hear on your honeymoon.....

17. Jokester

Jokester

The battery is still below floor level and has a trap door that seals it off from the interior.

.bjb

18. alchemy

alchemy

When either the wife of daughter have driven my car, I can tell instantly when I hop in the seat again. They like the backrest tilted more vertically (about half an inch), and it makes a world of difference. No way I could sit like that for any length of time.

It's very important to fine tune the seating and steering wheel position in your hot rod. You have enjoy driving it, right?

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, and if you are dealing with whatever passed for ergonomic engineering in, say 1959, like me, or whenever, it might be time for a revisit.

20. I explain this seat tipping exercise to my wife as her need for a bigger counter balance because of her mammary endowment. What? Are you telling me I have a big ass? "Yes and I like it that way!" LOL

I just got done driving 1100 miles this past weekend after a 1" drop of the seat. A world of difference, in the past, my arms and hands would go numb to the point that I couldn't feel the steering wheel in my hands. On this trip down to The Frog Follies I had no numbness at all, made all the difference in the world.