Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you want a trophy, plaque or certificate and cash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for posting these guys. It often seems that we are in the middle of a period when taking pleasure in any form of recognition from our peers is frowned upon, or seen as uncool. The "I don't care what anybody else thinks of my car, I built it for me" boys often seem to be forcing a kind of inverted snobbery on everyone.
    Trophies have been around for ever.
    It's traditional to give out trophies.
    In my opinion, trophies are cool and mine make me smile when I look at them. They are mementos of fun times, that's all. When did getting a kick out of other people showing their recognition of your hard work and efforts become a bad thing?
    Check my signature, if it's good enough for Larry, then it's good enough for me.

Just my opinion as I won't be there. I'm sure whatever you decide will be cool.
    Paul

2. but hey some of the trophys are cool! , or maybe you could get Nads to sing you a song!:D

Attached Files:

3. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4. charlieb66

charlieb66

HellRaiser
    You forgot about toilet paper, it has very little real value, but without it we would have a very nasty situation that would need to wipped out somehow.

5. I don't need no stinkin trophies. Have a closet full I never look at and don't know what I'll ever do with. I'm past that stage in life, not running for public office so no need for others approval. Make a donation toward some local child with health issues please. Make some other persons life better, its not all about me.

6. Homemade trophy wins hands down for me! Given by fellow car guys is the best complimate!

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Lower the entry fee and just give a nice certificate. Trophies take up space, and I end up stacking them in a corner and forgetting them. At least a certificate can be put in a clear sleeve and then added to a 3 ring binder to store easily.

8. big bad john

big bad john

....Last car show I went to...entry money went to food for the needy....Ist prize is class had picture of your car and yourself with 5 Hooter's girls.. (framed and sent to you).lots better than a trophy

9. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shows I drive to I don't put my car in I am there to enjoy and look for Ideas charity is always good and I have nover had a trophy so why start now.

10. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Coming from a trophy DEALER, as long as you get the recognition, who cares about the hardware. (SSSSSHHHHHH, don't tell my wife!)

By the way: www.jandcawards.com
    ;)
    Jim

11. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

By the way, the best car shows I go to are when I go to a restaurant and I'm the only car there. Just sit by a window and watch!
    Jim

12. clockwork31

clockwork31

Gift certificate or $$$ is the best, trophys are dust collectors unless it's a bowl shape so you can put some nuts and bolts in it....

13. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

I am with Salty. homemade and judged by peers.

14. 26 roadster

26 roadster

still got my homemade trophy's and dash plaques, only go to events that are for charity, so I don't mind given them some cash. judged by the people is always a plus, just don't take it to serious, it is a hobby for most of us.

15. revray

revray

I can't buy the parts I need with a trophy. So, I'm gonna go with cash!

16. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Seems like the biggest number of replies is for cash, and that's cool.

There's more opportunities to catch some at this car event than any other I've been to yet.

And the entry fee for the whole weekend isn't bad either!
    Early entry is even less with additional perks..........

Thanks again Bob!

17. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Evidently no one has ever faced cancer in your family. Shame on you for a statement like that.

18. Beau

Beau

I do trophies and awards for a ton of bicycle events. I tend to make "trophies" more funtional. Tables, lamps, sculpture.

Nobody wants a plactic trophy.

We made this for the Tuck Fundraiser.

[​IMG]

Trophies can be cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BISHOP

BISHOP

cake

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  20. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I go to a show every year in Quincy Ill. put on by the early tin dusters. Nothing newer than 1948 is allowed in. The entry fee is free will with all the proceeds going to camp calahan. this is a camp for underprivilaged kids. They give 10 plaques total. All the drawings and vendor fees go to the camp. Usually they have about 900 cars and make 10,000 dollars plus for the kids. If you are a trophy hunter this is not a show for you but it is one of the best shows I go to all year.

21. Fenders

Fenders

That's it !!
    I go to the post office or the hardware store with the rod and end up in a conversation with someone (I remember the lady who remembered the Model A she had back in the day -- the old day) and that's better than any trophy.

22. MemoreeMaker

MemoreeMaker

Jim, did you ever try to trade one of those trophys for some gas. "Been there & done" that. Coming back from a show in Clay Center,Ks in the 60's my Olds powered chopped/channald Model A coupe ran out of petro about 20 miles from home. Tried to trade the trophy I won for some gas at a nearby Esso station. Gas at that time I believe was approx 30¢ a gal. The station manager was nice enough to watch my car while I hitch hiked home to get some gas & find a friend to take me back to my car. For some reason I've never forgotten that lil episode.

car

23. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I love stories like this...........Guess cash is good afterall!

24. MemoreeMaker

MemoreeMaker

Hey Darryl, GREAT hearing from you. You N Y guys (and gals) were missed last yr. Hope to see the Lost Kustoms cruise into Biglerville again in june

25. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh,Video Bob, How the heck are you .ill always take cash especally at a out of town show,however the ONLY awards I display are the homemade ones[artists ,stripers]. The Lost Kustoms are trying to get a bunch to come down this year,we missed the last one but this show always comes up as the highlight of our summer .Hope to see you this summer and good luck putting another great show togeather!!!!!!! Darryl [The Big Stahu] Pres. Lost Kustoms cc

Thanks again Darryl and LOST KUSTOMS!

First time I met you was at the Lead Scene East and I was a lone wolf with the checkered canopy. You welcomed me to be a part of your camp for the weekend and made it a weekend to be ..remembered. It was like meeting long time friends right away.

You really kept the event wound with your cruising and club participation. I'm really hoping the Route 66 cruise lane is finalized to encourage others to be as active as your whole group was.

I know there's more and better features designed into this years happening to keep things lively and not just a sit around event.

I'll be there for sure and will do my best to get you set up at your favored spot!

Thanks again ! ! ! ! !

26. I always preferred a handshake, pat on the back or an atta boy. Donate the funds to a good charity. If your in this for money or trophies I just don't understand, I always thought it was about the people.

27. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks again for all the replies. I know it's helped Video Bob with his show and maybe a lot of others putting on shows to know what the people want.................................

28. Ill quote this for truth.

29. Clik

Clik

How about all of the above? :

Have a Trophy Contest. The best Homemade Trophy Builder gets a cash reward. The cash winner can collect at a podium where the winner's name is announced, gets a well deserved pat on the back and the opportunity to announce the plans for the cash winnings. The winner might say any of the following:

1. I'm donating the money to XYZ charity.
    2. I plan to use this money for college tuition.
    3. I'm broke and will use this money for gas to get home.

The best trophies go to the stage where they are later awarded to the best cars.

30. MemoreeMaker

MemoreeMaker

Appreciate all the great imput we got from everyone on this. A lot of your ideas/suggestions have been logged in our files for consideration on next yrs event. Now for the next question. Like a lot of shows we have clubs that come to Lead Scene East that display their banners. Would like to see a HAMB banner displayed at Lead Scene East this yr.
    Anybody out there willing to step up & try to get something organized ??? The Club Participation Award would be a great way for the this organization to make a donation to Charity.