Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would you use your ride for ridesharing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fuel to burn, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

If there was a rideshare platform like Lyft/Uber that specialized in hotrods or classics would you sign up to be a service provider with your car? If you were a passenger would you pay extra to ride in something cool?
    I've been driving a little for a rideshare and been thinking about this, wondering what is out there on the demand side and the supply side.
    Personally I would love to drive people around in my car if they were car people and really appreciated the experience. What about you?

2. Don't think so. I hope you called your insurance company before you started your ride-sharing experience and added a whole bunch of liability/ personal injury/ medical coverage to your policy.

3. upspirate

upspirate

Along these lines, it's hard enough to get insurance on specialty cars as it is, wonder what it'd be like to get it on a rideshare hot rod.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Being a social weirdo, that's a pretty abstract concept for me!

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Only if my ride was a tractor & a hay wagon.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  6. dan31

dan31

You may be setting yourself up to lose all hope in humanity.

7. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

Not a chance. Especially now that most of the younger generation seem to regard cars like appliances.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Ain't that the truth....

9. silent rick

silent rick

maybe, just maybe, as long as all my clients were intelligent young hard bellies with large breasts.

10. Ummm... You haven't patented that idea yet, have you? o_O Maybe call it something like "Goober Uber". :p

11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

If I was on vacation and in the " you can't put a price on a good time" mood, I think it would be a fun idea to ride in another hot rod or custom.
    If I owned the car, no way in Hell.

12. 55styleliner

55styleliner

It works in Cuba, people pay more to ride in the old cars. I would bet the market for the old cars is more in the weddings and special events. Heck, the reason that most of us have modern dailys is because they are more safe and comfortable. I think most ride share people would also choose a modern quiet, safe and roomy car over our hot rods. I guess it could work with a bunch of 50's and 60' 4 door sedans, but there are not a lot of those that are nicely restored. And most people are too much in love with their ride to subject it to this kind of abuse.

upspirate likes this.
  13. I've tried to get the wife, and friends to ride in my A coupe. { with No takers},Lol It's got a heavy chop, no interior, { just a pillow} Straight exhaust, and a 389 Pontiac, with three deuces. But it's okay, I love it! Ron...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

15. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Why would I use my ride to become a taxi driver?

16. squirrel

squirrel

Neat idea. But one that probably ought to be left in the "idea" stage...

Jalopy Joker and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. No, as a whole I don't like people. I get along with everyone, but I learned long ago that old cars talk to me better than any person. except for my boys that is.....

18. Not no but HELL NO! next question? HRP

19. Nope.

Too much liability, even if you don't call it a cab which it is.

20. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Hell Yes,,,maybe we might give a spark of interest to some young person (male or female) that will carry on this torch after we are all dead and our cars are outlawed for using petrochemicals, and end up in museums or crushed.
    Because if our vehicles have no voices, they will be silent forever.

21. Absolutely.....NOT!

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Did the bar close early ?

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

"It's an old car, what do you expect? Now quit bitching, get out and push!"

hrm2k likes this.
  24. southerncad

southerncad

Uhh, from the vast majority of answers, I guess you got your answer...and NO mine is not for hire:D

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Might wife actually pitched something similar to this at me recently. I almost immediately thought of the possible injury risk involved with a heavy chopped simulated lakes roll over with the extra factors of not being on a closed course, yikes!
    The thought cut back on my plans to give anyone a ride in a hot rod death trap.
    I'll will risk my own safety for the reward that is total bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I had a '57 Ford wagon for a while and actually wondered/thought about the same thing. Unfortunately, with insurance and possible safety issues (in case of accident) in an old car, it just isn't feasible. Using your old car for friend/family wedding or other occasion is a whole 'nother deal -- I, myself, am always happy to use my old vehicles for events like those.

27. RmK57

RmK57

My passengers would get tired of chipping in for gas every couple days. Cheaper to take the bus.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

29. In the past I chauffeured newlyweds too and from the church,this was for a friends daughters wedding,it was a fiasco.

As the appointed time was fast approaching the weather took a turn for the worse and due to the intense heat we had one heck of a storm,lightning,high winds and torrential rain so my cleaning up the car for the wedding was in-vane!

I put on my suit and headed out to pick the bride to be and her parents,their dirt driveway was a mud hole and they were soaked when they got in the car not to mention the mud on my carpet.

I got them to the church and was ask to wait for the service to be over and pick them up in the back as soon as it was over.

No one told me the photographer was going to take photo's for another half hour,when they finally emerged from the chapel some rotten kid though it would be fun to throw a bucket full of bird seed at them getting in the back of the sedan.

Needless to say,I will NEVER do that again,I'm out a few hours,my car was a muddy mess,inside & out,I had grass seed everywhere and to top it off the offer of a hundred bucks never came through, the marriage didn't last 6 months and I haven't see the friend? in the past 8 years. :rolleyes:

So like the old adage goes..."No good deed goes unpunished" HRP

30. I have ferried people around on my old heaps but there is a world of difference in picking up a friend and running a taxi service.