Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would you use it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dalesnyder, Jul 23, 2023.

1. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I know this happens to all of us. I found this 90 weight bottle while looking on the back shelf. Last month I found cans of turtle wax that had turned bad. What old forgotten consumables have you come across? IMG_3432.jpeg

2. I would totally use that. 2.49 even!

3. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Consumable and yes, I'll use it.
    1605988902343305108816261406947.thumb.jpg.b8413f5baae08f1d3af9287d72a6a0b9.jpg

4. das858

das858

A few years ago I found some Mobil oil in paper / cardboard cans , I used them without giving a second thought .

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dunno, it looks bad :eek:! I'm a registered member of the C.A.T.T.oA (Certified Alcohol Taste Testers of America) East Tennessee Chapter. You better let me try it first;).

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I found an old condom once and used it.

My daughter still laughs when I tell that story.

7. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

There was a member on another forum giving away quite a few old bottles of GM EOS. He only asked for shipping charge in return. Shipping was only $10 at the time. He was afraid they were too old to use. I have a high lift cam and stiff valve springs in one of my engines so run this additive so my cam stays lumpy. :)
    Score!

8. Budget36

Budget36

Well better than a used one;)

Deuces, 427 sleeper, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I keep everything in file cabinets. Easy to see what`s in the back. IMG_5860.JPG

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I buy every old case or however many quarts of new oil I find at auctions and garage sales.
    Haven’t bought a quart of oil from a retail store in 20 years

11. Huckster59

Huckster59

Oil doesn’t go bad. Gets dirty. We used redefined oil at work.

lake_harley likes this.
  12. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

To be honest, I doubt I would use it. Clean it up & set it on a shelf to look at. A decoration.

For $20 I can get a gallon of GL-5 85-140 from walmart that imho would be far superior to the old GL-1 I'm guessing is the rating of the bottle you show.

My 1949 takes 2 quarts to fill the transmission ..... you only have 1 quart .... we going to mix & match oil?

Yeah it's cool, fun to look at ..... probably fine to use .... put it on a shelf & look at it.

13. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Since you're certified, I guess I have to let you have the first pull in your official capacity. Damn rules and regulations anymore......:mad:

14. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

file cabinet great idea for spray cans / bottles etc

Boneyard51 and Algoma56 like this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

IMG_5874.JPG

Deuces and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  16. I have a 4 litre (1 gallon?) can of acrylic metalflake paint which I squirted on my second car I had, 43 years ago. I only used about 1/2, and whenever I have needed to paint something silver, the can comes out again.
    Old oil? I never met a motor which slurped down 30 year old oil and stopped running because of it.

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pay attention, dammit. I'm registered, not certified, but my wife is convinced I'm certifiable ;).

X-cpe, RMONTY, Joe Blow and 2 others like this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

IMG_3557.jpeg
    Me too!

Bones

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    alanp561 likes this.
  19. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a friend painted my 38 Chevy (see avatar) in about 82 or 83, I still have about a half gallon of the paint and used it to do the window bezels in the Studebaker two or three years ago, worked great. IMG_2444.JPG

alanp561 likes this.
  20. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

i got a quart of......DDT
    found another from my fathers estate. also found 'nipper' bottles of it. try a short story
    back when nixon approved the epa and i was working p/t at the fertilizer plant, we had to get rid of about 30 tons of bad stuff. lucky me got to haul it. back then, dig a big hole in a farmers field and bury it was the method of destruction. but we also had dynamite(safe) and blasting caps(not safe) to play with in the fertilizer buildings and hopper cars. neat to see a 50 ton car jump up off the track.:eek::D
    but enough of the good times

427 sleeper, bobss396 and Tman like this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chances are quite good that there are cars driving around today that have had the same oil in their differentials and rear ends longer than what you have in that bottle.

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek:A quarter stick of dynamite in a packed hopper bottom shakes it loose every time:D;).

427 sleeper and SS327 like this.
  23. LOL I painted my bike with '60s era DuPont acrylic lacquer.

I don't have a pic but I have a small can of Sears brake fluid that I found behind the seat of a project 15 years ago. It was never opened, and probably worth more to a collector that way but I broke the seal and used some of it. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and it probably isn't any good now, but before I broke the seal it was still good.

alanp561 likes this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-7-31_6-44-42.png
    An original from 1962… It still can be used and the aroma still brings back those good old teenage days...

Hello,

Yes, I just can’t seem to part with the Classic Car wax product. We bought several cans of it in 1962 at the September Los Angeles County Fair in the Pomona Fair Complex grounds. Every year while in high school, the teens from our group always took off for Pomona, for an all day adventure. Girls loved to ditch school to come with us for a great time away. But, in reality, we all had excuse notes from our parents.

“Hey mom, Dennis’s mom is allowing him to go to the Los Angeles County Fair and so is Mike’s dad. So, can you write a note to excuse me, too?” Substitute in different names and that was the line we all gave our parents doubts about a school excuse. So, if one parent called the other, the stories are all the same. Ha!
    upload_2023-7-31_4-15-54.png
    My mom did not want to write a note, so I wrote it and she signed it. As long as the collective group of parents were aware of the school absence by everyone, then they all signed it willingly. We were all legal and the school got its daily attendance money from the state, so all was good.

Jnaki

When we walked by the Classic Car Wax guy in his booth, he gave us a demonstration that surprised all of us and impressed the guys in the crowd. He waxed a nice shiny black hood on his table in direct sun. Then he wiped it clean and stepped back to squirt some flammable liquid on the whole surface. He lit it on fire and a second or two later, put out the fire. His audience, us, were absolutely flabbergasted!

When the surface cooled, he wiped off the surface and we all touched the black hood shiny surface. As smooth as silk and then he poured water on the surface. That sealed the deal. It was impervious to water, made the hood surface shine so clean and when we all touched it, left no fingerprints. I immediately bought two cans. Over the years, we bought other cans, but the original one still is in my possession.
    upload_2023-7-31_4-19-31.png Thanks, @themoose
    The wax can is still in my current garage as a memory and sometimes, I use it on various old chrome or stainless steel surface items we have hanging around the house and garage.

Once in a while I will get it out and smell the familiar aroma. Instantly it brings back those flashing memories. Also, the one thing was that I liked waxing the 58 Impala’s black paint, as the process was nearly faultless and convenient. It lasted quite some time outdoors and was easy to clean daily with a nice cotton rag.

On the opposite end of the same garage drawer, is the best wax since the 50s. Cadillac Blue Coral. It, too is down to some left over crumbs, but I just cannot part with it. It has saved plenty of chrome steel items in our house from the salt air moisture. I haven’t used it since the early 70s and now is a minute back up to wax various steel parts if necessary.

From years of detailing a sailboat with many combinations of wax, I did not use the Classic Car Wax. There was not enough to do the whole boat. So, I turned to Collinite Carnuba Wax and that is the current wax product that will be the last version of car/boat detailing in our repertoire.
    upload_2023-7-31_4-21-18.png It is the best product on the market, lasts the longest in the harshest environment, salt air/foggy moisture daily/nightly for any product left outside. I have two cans, one is the original I bought for our first sailboat 20 years ago.
    upload_2023-7-31_4-29-1.png
    From this old 1958 product to the latest version, it still works well…

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
    alanp561, themoose and mitch 36 like this.