Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you put a solid axle under a tri-five Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Yea, I do!

That was the one in the early 80's... right?

That's about when I got my first sub... but was buying it off the news stand before that.

If I remember, you could see the chrome axle, and the panhard bar...

Anyone got a pic?

Sam.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sam. Puddin's 55 looks like it would stomp a mudhole in yer ass just for showing up at the same dragstrip....

If you don't do an axle, do it JUST like his. That thing is killer...

-Abone.

3. burger

burger

no.

in about 15 minutes retro fashion is going to roll thru the early sixties and gassers will be laughable to most again.

ed

ps- i'm just busting your shoes.

4. Exactly!

Sam.

5. Conder

Conder

Drilled dropped axle, model A spring, crazy hairpins, no front brakes with 5-spoke spindlemounts...just like a Roth shirt!!!!!!!!.........please don't hate me for endangering the public.

6. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy

"Would you put a solid axle under a tri-five Chevy?"

Isn't that what everyone is doing????

Sam, dig out your April 2002 HOT ROD magazine.
    Turn to page 92.
    It's is owned by Rick Del Gado in Monrovia CA

In case you do not have the issue, it is a 55 210 with "lightened control arms, Genuine Suspension 6-inch lift kit, '70 Impala coil springs....coilover shocks."

That means it is a faded grey lookin', steel wheel wearin', Racemaster tearin', Caddy Hydramatic sportin', non-straight axle bandwagon, middle finger flyin', good time.

From what I have read, here on the HAMB and in other printed publications, I know that you are not worried about what the 'crowd' does or thinks.
    This car is a "little" different, and to me, that's what makes it stand out.
    If it had a solid axle, it'd just be another Two Lane wannabe.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

But the Falcon has a short wheelbase.........rode terrible when new and was a unibody car.......55 Chevrolets have a real frame.....and a longer wheelbase. Had a friend who had a straight axle 55 2 door post 150 and his drove/rode pretty decent......

It was a dual spring car...........and the springs were the right spring rate.....the axle was a tube ( light ) and the brakes were discs and the front rims were 15 inch 4.5 wide and small light tires. Not for road racing or moonshine hauling but did real well on a decent highway.....or the dragstrip... :)

Go for it ! !

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here's a car I built with a 4" drop straight axle......

9. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Sam- build it the way you want it. Don't worry about it being another "Two Lane Blacktop wannabe"! If your gut feelings say solid axle, then go for it. If not , leave it alone.Just do what you think you have to do to have fun with it! I hope my Falcon doesn't ride like a bucking bronco. Actually, if it rides better than my '93 F-250 4x4 on these NY roads I'll be happy!!:D

10. Short Bull

Short Bull

Hello Mr. Sam,

If you decide to go with a straight axle, would you go with a 2X4 frame rails or use the stock frame?:confused:

Thanks,

11. Larry T

Larry T

I don't think anything is gonna look more badass than that injected 55 no matter what you do to it. And I'm gonna guess that most 55 gassers and all /MP cars still had the stock suspension under the front. I know that around here it was more about engines than about building state of the art chassis', and that's what they were at the time. You really want to cut your car frame in half at the cowl? If you do there is a series of articles that came out in Hot Rod (I think) about how Blair Speed Shop installed straight axles under tri-fives.

12. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

I have to disagree the two lane car had a four bar with coil overs.

13. Radshit

Radshit

?????????....You're kidding???!??!.....I just purchased a straight tube axle set-up for a "Try-Five".......I'm looking at a '56 2dr post to go with it........

Attached Files:

14. I'd probably build the front frame out of square tubing... and then buy a tube axle that is custom made so the tires sit perfectly in the wheel wells (the right track width). Also, it'll sit at about the height the Shakey puddin' car sits at... four bar, coil overs... all chromed... track bar, cross steer, High falootin' late 60's stuff. I'm going with a Modern ladder bar out back, sell the Olds rear end (or modify so I can run a Ford 9" pumpkin and axles)... and run Wilwood disks up front... The front end will be all steel... but I'll run aluminum heads on the BBC, aluminum radiator...

Screw the old "traditional gasser" crap, you're gonna cry "momma" after taking a ride in this motherfucker.

Sam.

15. Yea, if I remember from the pics he had... it was coil overs and a four bar.

He had pics of it in his office, under the glass counter top... really cool pics of the 2LBT '55 before it got primered for the movie. He said he built it, and then they saw it and said "it needs to look like a street racer... rough around the edges." It was grayish blue before they primed it gray.
    Sam.

16. I'm thinkin of puttin one under a tri-5 pontiac:p

17. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Hell yes look at mine it drives great goes straight even on decel at 110 at the digs and just fine on the streets and highways I love it, It is all new stuff no old worn out unsafe shit, dropped 4 inches and sits a bit higher than you night want but can change that easy enough , I front steer it with a vega (flaming river new box) that gives it 0 bump steer and the same ratio as a tri 5 @ 22 to 1 so it is just like driving any tri 5 chevy. and it is way tooooo kool............I have built and sold 6 chassis and built 3 cars as well , getting popular these days...............good luck

Attached Files:

18. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

NOW YOU GOT IT! Go for it, and keep us posted on the progress.:D

Bernie

19. Thumper

Thumper

Sam, either way you go it's gonna look awesome. The fact that it is an old race car makes it kickass to begin with......I wish I had my ole 55 back.

20. Tony

Tony

I love straight axles when the're done right..meaning using boxed tubing from the firewall forward rather than using the stock frame and leaving the control arm/spring area intact..
    There's too much frame there to just leave alone IMO.
    I've paid attention to many of the thing's you've done and posted so i'm more than sure you only do thing's the right way...or you wouldn't do them at all.

Normally i would say hell ya do it up..
    But 'Puddin's 55 is flat out one of the baddest one's i've ever seen!
    It really changed my mind in the thought of 'needing' one to have the 'look'..

I have to agree with what was said up a way's in the thread, if you don't do the straight axle, deffinately follow along the same stance as Puddin's 55..
    You CAN'T go wrong!

Just my 2 cents.
    Tony

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

First, I will step up and be the first in line with the donation to the board. (can I have the keys......)

At first my thoughts were dont do the straight axle, even thou I love them, because how yours sits now (the rear can come down slightly.)

Now I say go for it. why, because you need to stop being a pussy and being safe. (I have the same problem.... never going to far out of bounds.)

take a risk.. in the end it will put a bigger smile on your face. (plus a chrome straight axle looks bitchin)

22. Here's a perspective that hasn't been put up here yet. The reason for the nose high look back then was weight transfer. The idea being that the car would sit back on the rear and hook up better. They quit doing it because the rear springs would wind up and then unload at around the 60 to 90 foot mark and spin the tires. If it was a good idea competition cars would still run that set up. A lot of folks on here are building cars for "the LOOK" but you seem to run your shit hard. So I would advise against the tube axle. Especially if you're going to drive it to the racetrack. Those RR tracks on Famoso road will make my point for me if you go with the tube axle.

But why listen to me? I always come down on the wrong HAMB side on radial tires and alternators. I'm also old enough to have worn pomade in high school and I was gald to see that style go away. Style or substance, your choice, my friend.

See ya at the CHRR for chili?

cp

23. Zeke

Zeke

Take a look at what was done to my 57 Stude at HAMB Gas 2004. Radshit and the crew converted the stock frame into a a more 2x4ish frame rails http://webpages.charter.net/zekes57/

Zeke

24. Godzilla

Godzilla

If you want a nose bleed use a straight-straight axle. The four inch drop will put you at about 16" ride height (rockers)...mostly level. I used what I call a low frame conversion...where I cut the frame and slid the 2x3 into it and welded to the bottom instead of the top of the frame...that lifted me about two inches in the front.

I do have coil overs inteh rear so I can level it out if I want to...but so far no problems and the car likes the weight shift. Good luck.

25. Yes. But...
    ...form follows function.
    What will you do with the car?

I lowered mine a little-- because I use it to travel hundreds of miles at a time, loaded with momma, the kids and a trunk full of luggage. If I'd built it for shorter trips (1/4 mile jaunts ;)), you can bet I'd stuff a '50's vintage half-ton Chevy truck front leaf springs/straight axle setup.

Build the car for its intended purpose.

26. Mine's a little more "cushy" than your vision, but maybe it'll provide some food for thought.

Attached Files:

27. I got radials on my Model A... took the bias plys off 'cause they ran like crap and didn't look right... so, we'd probably get along just fine!

Substance it is... while I like the idea of the solid axle, and the challenge involved in building it up... I also like the way those things ride, and I plan on driving this thing everywhere! So, I'll keep the stock front suspension for now. I REALLY like the shakey puddin' '55... so, I'm going to follow his lead, and cut the frotn frame horns off. It gives it a cleaner look up front. I'll get rid of the stock tank out back, as well as the spare tire well...

I haven't ruled the solid axle bit out... but, I think I'll do this car in stages, so I can savor it along the way.

Chili it is at the CHRR!!! Just let us know when and where!
    Sam.

28. Crazy_Farmer

Crazy_Farmer

29. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I use the 2x3 tubing on all of my gasser chassis'

and as for a wannabee car i like to refer to mine as an (inspired build) not a wannabee or clone I like the look but not periord correct, Its my car not the car.. and so is yours look em all over sam and build it your way with a little bit of all of em ..................sam
    Godzilla and I have had a great time with our gassers this summer and we are old bastards, fixin to build another one , a willys pickup , can't get enough of em.............:cool: cya at mokan I hope take mine for a spin and see how it drives , "scare the hell out of ya when I get this sucker wound up"

30. JohnT

JohnT

Sam,
    Shakey FABRICATED the front of those frame rails. (bullnose)
    They are not the stock frame horns.

awesome work.