Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you guys consider putting a 4 cylinder in your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I'll eventually run a 2.5 Iron Duke in one of my Hot Rods. They can be converted to HEI, carb, and V-belt pulleys with some old Citation or CJ-5 parts. They have a decent amount of torque, and a unique exhaust note that sounds like a farm implement.

The engine itself is not hideous. Actually resembles a 230/250/292 6-cylinder.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah man!!! That's my reason also!!!...

3. I have normally gotten 18-20 around town and 20-22 on the highway. No OD I don't believe in them.

My build is real mild, just your basic healthy streeter. I don't normally hand out specs they are derived from 40 years give or take of building engines both small and large. Suffice to say its just a 'bean motor and nothing special.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I wouldn't but that's me, I like seeing all shapes and setups. If you are happy with your car or truck, that's all that matters....:cool:

5. REALLY? Show me one that isn't some exotic foreign motor. In fact show me one period. The Esslinger 2.8 in my Ranger race truck only made right at 300 with dual down draft Webers, the Aluminum Esslinger Head, 12:1 compression a big cam and not street-able. Real curious where you get a 350+ naturally aspirated 4 cylinder.

LPG is no longer cheap over here as a motor fuel, and stations are hard to find. It is illegal to use the LPG that is intended for BBQ's and such as it is not rated or taxed as a motor fuel.

6. spudsmania9

spudsmania9
    from Arkansas

not in a truck. high RPMS and large vehicle just don't go together. and I like to carry stuff in my truck.

7. OK, first off Propane and LPG are the Same thing. maybe you were thinking of CNG (compressed natural Gas)
    To change over takes a Fuel Mixer (Think of it as a Propane carb), Specialty tank (Heavy round tanks) Special filters and fuel lines. The last one I did cost about $2,000.00 and that was a kit.
    No tax advantage that i know of.
    refueling has to be done a station that specializes in LPG for Road use - You can't go to the camping store or the place you fill your BBQ tank - at least not legally. It also cannot be sold at night, only during daylight as they have to be able to see the vapor as it comes out of the tank.
    Yes you can take it on a long trip, if you plan your fuel stops.
    I had a GMC van that had a 350 and ran on Propane. You lose about 10-12% in power if you convert a gas motor, BUT it does have a High Octane so you can build a motor for it that will get more power (Of course now you've spent more money) Fuel mileage is worse, about 10%. Back when I did it, gas was around $2.00 and Propane was .50 so it was worth it. Spark plugs last a LONG time and oil stays much cleaner. BUT it was a real pain in the butt to always be looking for stations, and I carried 58 gallons - something you couldn't do in a car.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If I could choose a 4 banger I'd go with an Oldsmobile Quad 4 and clean it up to resemble an Offy 4.

Overall, though, you can't beat the sound of a V8, so I'd rather have a small displacement/low output V8 than a screaming 4 or 6 anyday.

9. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I agree about the screaming sound of a hi revving four and six, however I think a lopey six sounds better than anything....... but thats me.

10. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

11. Fiorano

Fiorano

i love the grumble of a not so square straight 4. I think the Nissan 2.4 form the old pickup s are over square (longer stroke than bore) or is that under square? anyway they do sound great, and tractor-ish, it sounds great really. i need to put this in a rod.
    a v8 just sounds like a v8, but the variations on 4 cylinder -big 4's not the puny Honda screamers really is pretty neat. I don't think any Offy sounds bad it is wicked good

12. BJR

BJR

Only if 2 of them would fit side by side.

13. jipp

jipp

i have a 351C that was converted to propane during the gas crises of the 70s.. it was a early victim of being parked do to shity gas millage.. must of been a fun engine tho in the 1970 ranchero where its resting.
    propane is not cheap anymore, i used it for my gas forge, and it adds up in a hurry. i would rather use raw charcoal for my forge but finding that in the desert is like finding hens teeth.. ill stick with gas.. and leave propane to the forge and bbq.
    by the way what would need to be changed to convert the 351C back to gas? from what iv been told the engine should be all nice and clean in side considering propane runs so clean..dunno how much truth there is to that. but, its what iv been told by one of them expert/s.. laughs.
    chris.

14. Simple, Pull the "mixer" off, it's probably an IMPCO and put on a carburetor and a fuel pump. Change back to a regular gas tank and fuel lines. Go for a drive.
    And if the motor was converted when it was new, it will be spotless inside!

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

On the right project, I may consider it. I probably wouldn't for an F100 though.

16. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Propane is not cheap in the US. I've looked into it myself, once you add road tax you might as well stay with gas. I'd bet a push rod 4 cylinder in the 2.5 range and up would have enough grunt to keep up with say a stock 216 Chevy or a 218 Mopar.

17. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Bo Jones'. Chevy II powered.
    [​IMG]

I think this is the Roy Rockwell tribute car featured in Street Rodder earlier this year. Powered by a Mazda engine out of a Miata.
    [​IMG]

R&C Feature car (or one of the 3)
    [​IMG]

Anyway, Is a 4 banger 'traditional' enough? Yeah, I'd say there is plenty enough precedent for 4 cylinder engines to be considered for hot rod stuff.

And weight? New cars are so stuffed with electronics and safety equipment they weigh much more then your average 40's 50's and even 60's cars. A Honda Civic weighs in north of 3,600 lbs... a civic.

18. tunes

tunes

19. uuuuh, No. (not this one)

20. Turbos10

Turbos10
    from Texas

Turbo, yes.

The 2.3 turbo would be a cool setup, but it is far from traditional...which does not bother me. The mid 80's tbird engines would be my choice. You can swap the entire thing with tranny and computer.

I had a 4 cylinder pulling tractor that was kindof fun; 300cid, big nasty cam, holley 500, WH1E turbo, 25psi and 4300RPM. It sounded NASTY at idle. Problem was I could not keep it together.

I would not run one carbureted.

21. autobilly

autobilly

How 'bout a turbo RB30, that's ol'skool ain't it? :D

22. Ive been kicking around the idea of putting a 2.5 chevy inline4/T5 in my 46 GMC. The trucks already on an s10 frame and I have a couple v8 cars and a straight 6 belair, so just for the sake of doing something different, YES.

23. I like the way you think. (well that probably just ruined your reputation :eek:)

Someone mentioned that a V-8 just sounded like a V-8. They don't all sound the same and some no where even close. It depends on the firing order, the bore and stroks, the compression etc.

Even two V-8s of the same brand may not sound the same. Depends on how it is built I suppose.

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

In a pickup truck, especially if it's used as a truck, I can't see using a 4 banger. Just not enough beans. Either a big six or an eight."Use an 8 and you won't be late!"
    The 300 Ford 6 is a good engine, tough as nails, but in carbed versions it suffers from poor fuel distribuition, too far to the end cylinders. Now if you can figure out using the multi port EFI, great.
    In a light car such as a track "T", I've always thought the Olds "Quad 4" would make a great engine if you could turn it to long ways mounting and adapt to a transmission for rear drive.
    My fantasy engine for a reasonably light roadster has always been an Offy 270 Indy engine!
    Dave

25. OldCrow

OldCrow

There was a 2.0 Pinto and auto in our model A when I bought it. it sucked to always be looking in the mirror to see who was running over us. I found a Buick V-8 and T10 for it and haven't looked back since.

Russ

26. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

You are right, I was thinking of CNG. How about running that?

27. 1963 ss 327 auto w 66000 miles

28. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

29. jipp

jipp

wow, low mileage, nice engine.. auto yay i could drive it.. bad leg and all.. and to just put ice on the cake.. rag top.. you sir have a rockin car. and it would love our winters.. :)

to the guy with the 2.0 ford pinto engine i feel yeah man.. the ford pinto i owned sucked even with a stick to keep in the upper revs. heh.

never heard of a olds quad 4. the indie engine would be interesting, dunno how practical for the street tho..

chris.
    chris.

30. jipp

jipp

thanks for the info.. as far as i know it was. gas crises hit hard to the owner of this old racnhero. the cars interior has been chewed to bits by pack rats.. full of cactus now too ( ouch, just getting the 9" unbolted sucked. heh).. so as far as im concern the 9" rear is going for my Tbucket project and not sure what ill do with this 351 yet. may use it for my tbucket, but have the option for a cad 500 too.. time will tell. im thinking new gaskets, oil, plugs, etc.. tune up.. the heat is hard on any thing rubber here. ok the heat is hard on everything here human, beast, cars... desert != life...
    thanks again for the info. :)
    chris.