Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you buy back you're first car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Nov 14, 2012.

1. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

If it was still around, but I think it met its demise years ago. It survived me wrecking it (16 year old dumbass) and rebuilding it with parts from about six donor trucks that I spent the entire summer gathering.

I have thought about building another one like it, only better. And not wrecking it.

Attached Files:

• 581.jpg
      581.jpg
      File size:
      305.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Nope! I've still got it!

[​IMG]

Junior Prom, 1980!

3. I bought my very first car in 1962 and it was a 1932 Ford 5 window I bought with birthday money/grass cutting money.

long story short my dad made me take it back,so I only owned it a few short hours,seems he didn't think a 12 year old needed a car.:(

I have no idea what happened to it but I would love to have found it,,

The car I bought and got to keep was a 54 Ford which I rolled and totaled so no I don't want it back. HRP

4. Brett is that a '41? or a post war truck? I had a '41 for a while, no where near as nice as that one but it was a blast to drive.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd buy back my first car if I could get it for the same price - $15.00 !! I bought my '56 Chevy in 1962 for $15. I had to put tires on it (4 tires from a junkyard for $30) and new brake lines. Ran it for 3-years, then, sadly, I junked it. I wanted something better to impress my girlfriend (now my wife of 46 years!).

6. My first car (57chevy) ended up at the local Dirt Track. However, not to long ago I had the chance to buy the first car I ever drove. It was my Grandfathers 57 chevy. it left my famliy in 1974 and I was glad to get it back.

7. gdub

gdub

My first was a 52 F-1. Also got a 52 panel truck that wasn't running. My parents sold the panel when I was at college and I sold the 52 in the 80's when I was broke. I now have another 52 F-1 that is my daily driver and a 51 panel that I am building. I wouldn't really want that first F-1 back now because of all the "teenage" quality work that was done on it.

Attached Files:

8. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Absolutely!!!

'47 ford Coupe, '57 Lincoln engine, '39 Ford trans

Last saw it in 1960......

9. oneowner

oneowner

Still got it!!

10. My first car was a 1939 Oldsmobile coupe. My uncle gave it to me when I was 12. My dad said a 12 year old didn't need a car and it never made it to my house. I did get to drive it around my grandmother's back yard.

My first real car was a '57 Chevy 150 2 dr post. I drove it (and raced it) all thru high school and early college. Sold it to buy a '64 Chevy II SS V8. Wish I had all three back.

11. trashn'l

trashn'l

Yep, 1949 Studebaker Pickup that I bought for $100 with lawnmowing money when I was 12. Installed a Stude 289, Edmunds dual 2brl intake, 3 speed overdrive with my Dad's help. It had 4.56 rearend gears with posi. Was pretty quick stoplight to stoplight. Sold it when I was in college. Last time I saw it it was bright yellow with pink and blue pinstripes and Olds 455. Made me throw up a little bit! I knew it was the same truck becuase it still had the bullet hole under the bed rail.

12. Wowcars

Wowcars

I've been lucky enough to hold onto my first 3 cars. My '40 Chevy coupe and '72 Chevy pickup that I got from my (now deceased) uncle. And my '50 Studebaker. I doubt any of those will ever leave my hands. There are a couple others I wish I still had, but I don't lose any sleep at night over them

13. It's kind of like asking me if I would like my first girlfriend back. The idea makes me feel a bit nostalgic for a moment but the reality probably wouldn't be all that great. Besides, I don't think my wife would like it.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

Would I buy back my first car?

That would be kinda difficult...since I still own it.
    1947 Mercury bought in 1967 for $85 running and driving.

15. jmh

jmh

YEP!!! John

16. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

HA! yes.
    My first car was a 1968 Dodge Super Bee.
    no, it was not a Coronet.
    I got it from a used car dealer.
    It had Shag carpet, it was rusty and bent and was missing every single piece of trim.
    When I blew the motor I sold it. I had no idea it was a "collector" car, it was was just something to drive.

17. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I wish I could. Both were 70's OT gms probably in pieces or crushed.One had a body rust issue from new the other was severely damaged in a rear end collision. I still look for replacements but I wish I could find the originals. Lack of space and know how was was the issue and still is but I would at least "try" to get them on the road if I had them now.

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I a 28 roadster in super bad shape and worked on it 3years befor it was on the road[still have it] but needed a dayly driver so a few weeks later got a Henry J for that,over time I did so much custom work on the "J" it was in CarCraft jan 1963,It was destroyed in 64 by a theaf,would love that one back.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  19. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

61 Pontiac Tempest, 4 door. Three on the floor. Nope. . .although if I could go back in time just once with that girl from down the street. . .

20. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

'64 Olds Jetstar I with a 394. I still look for one on ebay periodically but they only come up for sale every few years and it's tough to find one worth considering.

21. Kept my first car.....assembled it after my Dad took it apart. Then drove it to high school. Here is an early shot in the 1960s and a shot of how it looks today. Been too busy driving my second '31 Dodge (the dark blue one) to finish the first one....

Attached Files:

22. silversink

silversink

No----the last itme I saw it it was heading for the scrap yard to be made into a brand new---------------------car( maybe a 1963 ford)

23. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i have tried & tried to buy mine , but the asshole is "gonna redo it" you know the story, it sucks

24. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

If I could buy it in the condition it was in when I originally found it, yes. Problem is, my good friend Leo "borrowed" it and I found it in a ditch with a burned up motor. '34 Ford pickup with a 296" Merc flathead.

25. dad-bud

dad-bud

Only a humble first car - an EJ Holden sedan with a 186S red motor, 3 spd crash box with a floor shifter, HR disc brakes, extractors with dual exhaust, Premier interior, slammed on the ground with 14" mags and big and little tyres. It wasn't fast, but it sounded good and looked pretty good too.
    That was back in '76 and it was just cop bait.
    I got pulled over 3 times in two days once, and another time, I got stopped twice in 1 mile. The cops just wanted to look at the car and have a chat, so I didn't mind too much, they didn't want to bust my chops, just look at my car - most of 'em were car guys too. I only got a ticket once - from a cop on a motorbike - I don;t like cops on motorbikes now.
    Geez, those were simpler times.
    Would I want it back - nup, I'd much prefer my chopped 37 tudor in my avatar (although a deuce highboy roadster would be better still).
    Cheers.

26. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I love my dad's story.
    "So I bought my first car, $50 at the gas station, 51' Chevy 4 door. Went through 3 transmissions. Got pretty good at changing them in the rain, inside the car..."
    Three transmissions dad?!
    "Well yeah, hallowed out steel packs with a hard shift down to second in the Detroit back alley's, sounded COOL!"

27. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

In a heartbeat, if is was the same price I sold it for.... $500. Doh!

28. john miller

john miller
    from KY

My first car was an all original 55 Bel Air 4D Sedan 265/PG. It was a POS and I spent more time working on it than driving it. You damn right I would.

29. indianhead74

indianhead74

'62 nova convert, Nope, I was the last owner of my first car. Indy

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Yup, and I'd gladly pay the whole $100 I paid for it originally. A '49 Ford business coupe, 6cyl, 3 on the tree that I swapped a built flathead into a week after I bought it. The flathead came from an older friend who took it out of his '31 couple to put in a 283 power pack from a local salvage yard with less than 500 miles on it. The swap bits and dual exhaust w/Smitty mufflers were bought at non other than Speedy Bill Smith's hot rod shop in down town Lincoln, Nebraska. My dad was stationed at Lincoln Air Force Base flying B-47's at the time. 1960 was a very good year for me, first drivers license and first hot rod.

Frank