Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Worth Seeing at Barrett Jackson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom davison, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that hurt the value:)

2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

True.

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. teejay99

teejay99

Good looking grey '46 Ford pick-me-up went through for 85k ......since I was channel flipping I didn't see the initial description ...hope it was Ford powered . Also restored '62 Galaxie for 30k which I thought was a good deal .

T

6. I just watched Wednesday night auction for a short time. I think the prices were kind of low. Some Chevy muscle cars went for 25 to 30 thousand. I guess the high dollar cars are auctioned on Saturday when the attendance is higher.

Mrs Sturgis makes comments the entire time about auction and she does come up with some funny comments. She remembered the Little Nash Rambler song BEEP BEEP.

7. I thought I saw two chrome radiator hoses. I think the pickup was flathead powered. I kind of liked the 406 Fords. There were two of them.

8. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

I'm lucky enough to be here today through Sat. The '46 pickup is flathead powered - 8BA with a repop Eddie Meyers intake. It's a nice old pickup, but I about fell off my stool when it went to 85K.

No recession here - the $$ are flowing as fast as the booze being fed to the buyers!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that Galaxy was a big block tri-power car and thought it went pretty low.

Some of the cars going across the stage tonight may be older restorations or older custom or hot rod builds that upon close inspection are a bit dated or for the restored cars may not be documented as to what they are supposed to be. Lots of happy buyers today and possibly some disgruntled sellers who didn't come close to getting what they thought they would.

10. bent metal

bent metal

The Hudson Italia isn't really a "concept" car, just a very low production.

Awesome pictures! :)

11. teejay99

teejay99

The fenderless '30 model A coupe ( Chevy motor ) looked a little rough but got 35k , but the next one , a full fendered '33 I was waiting for got upstaged by a #$@%$ commercial ...didn't see it at all .I don't think they post the prices on line .
    Your right , there were a few that didn't fetch much and the auctioneer and his side men were working the crowd pretty hard . Probably more than a few pissed sellers .
    T

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Unfortunately, I missed the grey truck.

There a lot of very mediocre cars and waaayy too many new Mustangs. I'm off to Russo and Steel this morning. In the past, their quality has surpassed BJ. They are advertising 700 cars. I think it will be good. I'll post my shots from there tonight.

13. Can't wait to see the R & S cars Tom.

And you're right! If I wanted to see a Rustang I'll look out my front window, there's one going by every few minutes.

Keep up the awesome work!

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I hope you are having a blast, Chris. Now don't go and get Bob all wound up about how much those old trucks are selling for! Have fun.

15. Cannot believe what that 30 A coupe brought. The 32 sedan I have for sale should bring 95 if they got 35 for that:eek:

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

especially if it has fenders!

17. fuzzface

fuzzface

The '33 Sold for $42,350, that is including the buyer's commission

18. I heard every body was happy at the auction, even the ghost bidders. A friend goes every year. He said to watch the bid gathers working the audience. They do not have a real bid until the bid gather turns and looks at the auctioneer. Ghost bidders are a common practice of auctioneers. When to ghost bidders have raised the price too high and they have no real bids, the auctioneer stops the auction and gives the audience a pep talk hoping this will get a real bid.

19. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

This scooter appears to have an old bumper car body (or someone custom made it to look like one). The auction's "collectibles" section was unbelievably cheesy, mostly second-rate re-pops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Happy? You just won't let it go will you:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

21. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Whistle bait! If I send you a check could you bid on the for me?

22. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

that bugatti takes it for me!

23. teejay99

teejay99

I wondered about "ghost bidders " since they seem to be a mainstay at your average corner auctions ...so even BJ has 'em , interesting . I was wondering what drinks cost , and general admission ? BJ must really rake in the dough without even selling a car .

T

24. c57heaven

c57heaven

BJ posts the prices online.
    Go to speedtv and watch the whole auction on your computer.
    It never fails that a car I want to see is done off TV.

It is much less frustating that way.

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great tip, thanks!

(I often hook the laptop up to the big TV to watch videos)

Edit: I take it back. Who can suffer through that goddamn stupid auctioneer babble . . . I sure can't. Maybe if you mute it and follow along with the car info, online . . . way too much work.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  26. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Now, from Russo and Steele

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  27. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

28. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

If you're a bidder or the bidder's guest, the drinks are free. They know what they're doing... My ex-boss had five margaritas and bought a Jag that it turned out needed several grand more in little service items to make a decent driver out of it.

29. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Any Jag always needs several thousand dollars more to make a decent driver out of it!!

30. Bob, Here are my roadster fenders in storage in my basement and that's where they will stay:cool:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.