Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Worth of a 40 Merc Convertible and 62 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bob Grandpre, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I bought this '64 two years ago for $2500 and it's an SS with a 4 speed. It was cheap because it needed floor/trunk pans and some shitty patches in the frame to be redone. The paint looks better in the picture than it really is, but this is the day it was picked up. If it was a 283/automatic non SS car it would have been for parts.

I'm not guaranteeing the Impala is only a $1500 car but it might be if it's rotten underneath and that quarter panel doesn't look promising. Could have a lot more to do with location than anything else but rusty project cars are hard to sell. If it just needs the one quarter panel then that's different. But I'd be looking that one over really good before I'd shell out much money for it.

I agree with those who said the Merc is a real holy grail and I really think it would bring solid money or be well worth a build. The Impala is neat and obviously I like them but I'd have to know a lot more before I'd put a $5K price tag on that one.

02-03-15 001.jpg

2. '40 Mercury Coupe body/no chassis pieces, with one straight fender, 3 beer canned fenders and no floor pans sold near Texas last year for 5k. If that convertible is worth 5k in the rusty lands of the north .... sh#t man, that's 15k here. Pbbbbbt ! That's crazy.

Be sure to share what it eventually does sell for. That's nowhere near a 5 thousand dollar buy.

This guy not planning on maximizing an estate sale ? Hard to believe they would just sweetly settle on local walk ins to value their inventory, rather then stick it on the worldwide auction site.

The luck of a fool, from the sale of a fool. Why can't I be one of the above ? ( not an insult, just sharing a local analogy )

Good luck kiddo'. Opportunity is knocking. Kick the damned door in ! That Merc' rules ! Little chopped top, a lower stance, and different tail lights, and it would be king.

<edit: it was a '40 Mercury in OK. Forgot to put "Mercury" in my original post>

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  3. swissmike

swissmike

I would put the Merc in the 10-15k range, but a restoration will be expensive! No sheet metal parts are reproduced. Mechanicals are Ford, and rubber parts are available.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. williebill

williebill

Interesting replies on this thread. Either I need to get out more, or I've entered the Twilight Zone.
    If that Merc can be bought for so little, I'll buy it, knock out the wall in my living room, throw away the furniture, and sit in it when I watch TV. Just tell me where it is.

czuch and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. phat rat

phat rat

You just never know what kind of price someone will sell something for. I know of a 60 Vette that back in 10 sold for $5k. Some guys told the owner that's all it was worth. Well 6 months later the guy who bought it died and within a year his widow had an auction and it went for $26K and all that had been done was a bit of reassembly. Oh and the guy who "facilitated the sale", his words, was supposed to be a friend of the seller. I told him they screwed the guy royally but he didn't see that way

6. Offer them $15,000 for the pair.... be prepared to go higher.
    Both are hot property.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app