Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worst Car Chore

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by narlee, Feb 3, 2010.

1. narlee

narlee

Just got in from finishing scraping the La Brea Lava from the front end of the 51. I swear they dipped it in the tar pits. Then there were some areas that I think they mixed in some snot and those areas were even worse. What do you think is the worst job to do working on cars?

2. bdr1

bdr1

I had to scoop oil sludge out of a functioning motor with a spoon (was like chocolate pudding).............

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Agreed.....on the La Brea tar pit syndrome...

In between of all the undercoating I scraped off in addition to the bondo mixed with fiberglass and steel wool I filled a 55 gallon drum 3/4 full to the top with undercoating, trash, chunks of bondo, dust and the last 1/4 with rotted steel....

the other thing I dispise....is the 60+ year old layer of gime and dirt with the residual layer of rust....man that shit does not come off easy other than sandblasting....and I hate sandblasting.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I stitched a 57 chevy back together from a mess someone made. part of the fun was scraping 1/2" of grease from the undersides of the floorpan. the best part? the grease was painted turquoise.

don't like grease.

5. Dicimato

Dicimato

The worst is not the tar. The absolute worst is the rubberized coating that only comes off with a torch, and smells like perfume on a rotting corpse.
    I hate that shit with my heart, body and soul, and I swear to the almighty if I ever find who was first responsible for its use on the automobile, I will take the 8 tons I melted off the bottom of my car and choke them to death with it.

...Zeibart and Rusty Jones have it coming too.

6. Getting all the chicken poop looking stuff off the suspension parts and frame, man that stuff is indestructable NASA should coat space craft with it.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The worst car chore for me is making payments. That's why I've only bought one new car in my lifetime. It just doesn't make sense that the final payment is the same as the first only your making it on a worn out piece of crap that's only worth 10-20% what it was when you started.

Frank

8. fafaniruzik

fafaniruzik

i agree, i had to scrape some 60 year old undercoating... worst job i ever had to do. wish back then i could've torched it off

9. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Wiring. Or trying to find the rat you poisoned. I too have had to scrape off grease that was painted green. F***in previous owners

10. Cleaning out the many inches of mouse/rat/cat/dog/coon/monkey shit that is all in the trunk and under the seats along with the pissed on seat stuffing that is stuffed everywhere except in the seat where it belongs.

As well as all the paper, sticks, nut shells, animal carcasses, etc that the little homebuilders incorporate into their nest.

I've had to clean out 3 like that in the last 2 days..and when you are torching through that metal, it stinks to high heaven. I'd actually rather smell burnt undercoat or body sealer.

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

mmmm pudding!! :D

12. bigroy

bigroy

Changing the 60 year old grease in the rear axle.That is a stink that stays with you for weeks

13. second_time_around

second_time_around
    from Ohio

The worst thing for me was restoring a 73 charger , the whole damn car restore was bad , car came frm Tennessee and we found over 30 snake skins in places like inbetween the frame and body , it wasent the fact the car was too new for my likings or the fact it was a dodge it was those damn snake skins found alot of rotted dead snakes and skins and even a skull but no live snakes ((( THANK GOD ))) I have a big fear of snakes and the fact it came from Tennessee I know some could be poison ,

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Taking it back apart after I have already put it back together multiple times...

15. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yes. yes. YES!:rolleyes:

16. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Aint that the truth!

17. Never came a cross a bad car chore.
    Sanding drywall mud.............now that's awful!

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Bleeding brakes.

19. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Undercoating is up there... And cleaning out the once mouse infested interiors of any of the numerous mid to late 30's GM cars I need to get rid of...

Oh and trying to strip Dupont Emron... that shit is tough... Haven't had to strip a fullsize car, but I repainted a tonka truck that had about 5 coats of Emron on it... And some really tough primer.. No amount of blasting, and solvents made it any easier... And it was a 2ft long dump truck!!

I like engine sludge though! Sometimes you find cool bits and peices in the bottoms of oil pans...

20. patman

patman

On the bright side...the painted over grease was probably very good rustproofing...

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hell if your lucky!...most cars lose over 20% to 30% of their value the minuet you sign the papers..or roll it off the floor

22. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

cleaning out old Asbestos

23. deucegasser

deucegasser

I'm with Nads. I'd rather lick a sewage truck chassis clean than ask my dear wife to help me bleed fuckin brakes. She's done it 4-5 times with me and STILL doesn't get it. I don't care if we've had the most wonderful day together, still in love after 29 years.....at the end of a "bleeding session" I'm cussin her, she's cussin me and the car. What fun. Stamp collectin anyone?

24. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Busted bolts.

Any way they happen, it never ends good.

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Digging through burned out Corvettes looking for the VIN for an insurance company.
    Spark plugs on a Ford V-10 van.
    Torching off rusted shocks / bushings on a back-east rustmobile and the snow slides off the hood and down your neck.
    Any clutch on any 4WD.

26. yblock292

yblock292

having to make two of everything

27. Larry T

Larry T

Getting the rust off/out/replaced.

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I leave that stuff on, don't think the extra weight amounts to much. Am I crazy or what?:eek:

29. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

chassis cleaning on any car. The mix of grease and dirt and various other oils is always a nightmare.

30. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

For you brake bleeding haters....
    Buy a pressure bleeder. Best money you'll ever spend.

For me... I hate re-doing shit, especially crap done by others. I'm re-wiring my car right now that was done by a pro wiring shop 10 years ago. You wouldn't believe the shit wire job they did! And they used a kit!:mad: Relays hidden behind panels, shitty splices under carpet, pinched wires, bare wires, splices everywhere.