Register now to get rid of these ads!

worst body work found on a car you bought

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWLYDE, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Shocker, I think the same lugnut that did your car did the Jeep I had, same Damn piss in the snow yellow?

2. fef100

fef100

I called about a car that was advertised and priced as rust free, asked the owner, Quarters? No rust. Rockers? No rust. Trunk floor? No rust. Floor? No rust.
    Went to look at the car and all of the panels were missing! Owners says" I don't see any rust."
    Bought a Ford pickup, looked OK. Went to fix a small rust hole on the passenger floor, floors were pinholed all over, cowl was rusted halfway up, cab mounts were filled with concrete & undercoated over! Ended up stripped to the frame for proper repairs.

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

Yeah that 56 was a piece of work when i got it.The other problem it had was the block sanding (im assuming it done by the same craftsman that did the rust repair on it ).Looked like he block sanded it with a nail file and the piss in the snow yellow was ugly.Lots of spots on it had bondo ,but there wasnt a dent ,still trying to figure that one out :confused: .I cleaned the body up ,fixed the body rust correctly and got it resprayed by a local painter in 76 Corvette Daytona Yellow then sold it for a good profit .Here is a pic of it repaired and repainted.Im a dumbass working in my driveway with no power sanders BTW ,so if i can get one halfway straight anyone can :).Not exactly Barret Jackson qaulity ,but im decent ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. pdc

pdc

I found clear silicon squirted into the rocker panel of an o/t truck. Had to be at least 2 tubes, guess they tried to keep the rocker from falling out. I'm by no means a body man, but trying to learn. I just shook my head and laughed,

5. I bought this in a group of six cars and trucks for $2g the lot (it alone was $200), it looked okay- bought it for parts or resell as a project- was in a scrap yard, door to door with other wrecks so I couldn't see the lowers- he forklifted it onto the trailer. Got on my way home (100km) and half way home the passenger door opened- i stopped to close it and realised it'd fallen off the rusted out pillars, there was chuncks of bondo three inches thick on the lowers- covered in mesh laying on the trailer. Its been sitting in the weather for the last 6 years at my place and since then all the bondo and house paint has fallen off.- will cut the roof off one day for parts.

[​IMG]

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

the car im working on now had some "why?" repairs. Such as peices of stove pipe used as patch panels SCREWED on. They had to remove the stainless trim to get to the rusted areas, sure enough they screwed the stainless back on too. So the stainless trim is not fucked, thats what pisses me off the most.

7. BigRy

BigRy
    from colorado

I have seen a lot of bad work. The 68 Ranchero I am doing was full of JB weld and duct tape. Another great Cali find. I have to replace the whole floor, back of cab, reskin the tail gate and on and on and on! Lets also delete the trim and smack the holes and fill with bondo. Lets line the bed with undercoating. Do not buy a car without checking it out first.

Attached Files:

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20220905_155352.jpg yes, old thread - but, disasters continue

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would make a swell name for a band.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Does sound a bit "grundgy"!

11. Bondo....don't you love it? Worst I ever had was a 58 Corvette I bought that was an ex drag car. Don't think it was very fast because it must have weighed too much. I chiseled bondo off of the front fenders that I swear was 2 and 3 inches thick.

12. Blake 27

Blake 27

The lost art of fender repair. HPIM0484.JPG DSC01348.JPG

Baumi likes this.
  13. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

What I have seen is when custom or repair work has been done well, but no rust prevention has been used and and it rusted out again fairly quick.

14. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I had a Holden than I new has some very dodgy work. But it was cheap enough. They have monocoque chassis. Some structural crossmembers were fully rusted but were just bondod up. They had cut out the rusty floor pans. Then laid new ones on top and fibreglass them in.

15. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

O/T car .
    But if Michelangelo was a car guy this could be his sculpture

upload_2022-9-6_21-24-32.png

upload_2022-9-6_21-25-16.png

upload_2022-9-6_21-25-57.png

upload_2022-9-6_21-27-8.png

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. indyjps

indyjps

The mustang picked up a second in the quarter after repaint due to weight reduction. :D

Magnet tells a lot.

Progauge is a great tool, basically a magnet on a spring. The benefit, it's sensitive enough to tell if there's been a repaint, multiple layers of paint (late model, panel repair, blend coats shot)
    Screenshot_20220906_050359.jpg

I have the predessor to this, Spot Rot gauge, no longer sold. Used to buy auction cars, and would test the roof reading against various panels. You can tell the difference.
    Screenshot_20220906_045113.jpg

Lot of the bad bodywork is due to these cars not being worth much somewhere along the line and panels not being available.
    It is interesting to see the repairs. You can tell the carpenters and contractors from the materials they used.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    Budget36 likes this.
  17. indyjps

indyjps

I'll admit to a shady repair. Late-ish model SUV, door bottom inners were rusting, lifted the door seam, ground it back, por 15, hammered it back flat while por 15 was wet, recoated, and shot a color matched paint. Lasted 6 months - thanks por 15.

Rust kept bleeding out of the door seam.

Next repair, took door panels off, flushed the door bottom with acid, rinsed with water, then rubbing alcohol. Blew out with air. Coated inner doors with rustoleum primer, shoved greased plastic tubing into the drain holes, them poured an inch of fiberglass resin in the bottom of the doors. Pulled the greased tubes out. The resin oozed out of the door seam, the tubes kept drain holes open. Painted it up. Sold the vehicle to friend of friend, told them the door bottoms had had rust and may have issues - saw them 3 years later, paint looked fine.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I didn't take pictures back when I found it, but it was the worst amateur bondo job I'd ever seen!
    I had gotten my '63 Falcon gasser on the road and driving, but wanted to see if I could make the passenger side door and front fender look better. The fender had a bulge that needed to be massaged back to eliminate the bulge, and the door was low by a good half inch, and somebody had drilled the trim and used a sheet metal screw to pull it in against the door.
    I started with the fender and decided to remove the paint to do some hammer and dolly work. When my flapper disc hit it the air exploded in a mist of bondo! I kept at one small area to see how deep it was, and it was about a half inch deep when I hit bottom. I went ahead and stripped the whole side of the fender, and when I was done there was a scratch about 8" long, and less than a 1/8" deep! Must have used a half gallon of bondo to make that huge bulge in the fender! It took maybe 5 min. to hammer the tiny scratch out, and a skim coat of filler to make the fender perfect.
    I then went to the door, and began removing filler, expecting it to be less since it was low. But it seems the other half gallon of filler was in the door, and after removing it, the door had been punched in pretty good, and I guess he ran out of filler, and just stopped with it low. I used a long piece of 1" square tubing inside the door, with holes drilled to align with the trim holes. I put 1/4" all thread through the holes and with a 2x4 spaced off the outside of the door at each end, I began tightening the all thread roods until I had the door skin pulled out as close to flush as possible. Did a thin coat of filler and it was ready for paint.

19. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

An acquaintance of mine used to Bondo over roofing shingles on rotted doors.

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the late '70s I bought this "bondo'd up" '48 Ford pickup. (note: bondo falling off front fender). Pulled the flat 6 out and put in a 302/c4.
    0.47.jpg

Then, I chopped the top (my first chop) with torches and coat hangers...considerable warpage ensued...so I added EVEN MORE bondo. Must weighed 6 tons by the time I was done:rolleyes:.

Attached Files:

• 0.48.jpg
      0.48.jpg
      File size:
      190.9 KB
      Views: