Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worm gear in 37 steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1948stude, Sep 15, 2014.

1. 1948stude

1948stude

Followed directions I found on Ford Barn all went very well except I can't get the worm gear out. Directions for this step are to tap top of shaft with rubber mallet or wood block to loosen bearing & race. Tried the mallet see loose bearing but race is still in - bang with more force? That always worries me.......
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410817245.117555.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. NealinCA

NealinCA

Yes, the lower race should slide out with a few light bumps. I usually put a block of wood on the floor. Hold the box with steering shaft pointed down at the block. Just bump the end of the shaft on the block (while holding the steering box) and it should push the lower race up and out.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You are showing the upper bearing, I think, whose race can be left alone until gear is out...If I am seeing picture right, all should go out to the left as you knock down the shaft and carry the lower race on left out of sight with it. Leave nut screwed to top on the shaft, and drop a bolt into the hollow center as your impact point...that stuff is very easy to damage. Then whack the thing, everything will drop out the bottom except that race in your picture.

4. 1948stude

1948stude

Yes it is the upper race, the lower came right out. It feels as if something is preventing the gear from coming out & the shaft from moving down more??? I look again when I get home & be firm but gentle ;-)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, pull it back up and eyeball it for anything strange or shiny marks from interference...but there really should not be anything on the shaft that would make trouble. Could it just be slightly cocked so lower edge of gear is hanging on the casting?

6. NealinCA

NealinCA

It looks like the column mast is still on. Is the steering wheel key still in the shaft? Is the column drop still on? Is it locked by chance? You will need to remove the column mast, so you can remove the locking lug, so he shaft will come out of the box.

Neal

7. 1948stude

1948stude

nealinCA No the steering wheel key way is not in the shaft - the column drop is still on and is locked - I do have the key tag though - so I will work on getting one made. Once it is unlocked I remove the column drop and lock then .....? Thanks!!

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

Once the column is unlocked, you should be able to slide the mast jacket off. There will be a locking lug on the shaft, like this:

[​IMG]

It is held in place with two set screws. Take those out, then tap the collar off of the shaft. Once that is off, the shaft and worm will slide out the bottom of the box.

Neal