Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects World's Slowest Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Prewar, Oct 4, 2015.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

ah ok, must have confused it after reading all that posts ;)
    so you're on a good time line
    btw Here is Roy's
    http://www.fordscript.com/ford_bolts/index.html

i also bought my bolts, nuts etc there.
    great stuff and good to deal with if you ask me.

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

That welting I mentioned for the 28-29 cowl is on page 14 part number is A-83-3 cost is $14.95. Bob

3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Yep you are definitely not alone my year long project is now five years old. I intended to have it done for my youngest daughters prom, she is at university now. I will subscribe to your thread.

David

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I just found your thread, subscribing. Keep at it, you're doing a great job.

5. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks for the support guys!
    Bob, thanks for the info, I don't like dealing with crappy parts.

6. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

So I have a little update on the running rough. I thought that maybe the condenser was bad so I replaced it. It fired right up, but died again moments later. Crap. So I did a little research and came up with the distributor might not be grounded well. I removed the distributor and cleaned the paint off the bottom of the head and cleaned up the bottom of the dist. Replaced the condenser again and… it fired right up.

I guess it's time to put in some floor boards, mount the seats, install the steering column and give it a try down the street. All I need is a little time.

7. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

At the urging of a great friend, I'm back at it after many years and even more excuses. I picked up a dual downdraft, Holley 94, FSI ignition, and lakester header. I put in an electric fuel pump just to be sure.

Attached Files:

8. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Here it is plumbed(fuel) and wired(ignition) - and the block off plate. I've only got one carb, but I may get a dummy.

Now to wire it up with a harness. Originally, I didn't want to go with a modern harness, but the added safety of a fuse block was hard to resist.

Attached Files:

chessterd5, Outback, hfh and 10 others like this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Whoa! 6 1/2 years have passed? I must have dozed off. LOL

I didn't see the start of this thread years ago but I'm glad you came back to report on it!

Lynn

10. Glad you are back at it, @Prewar .
    We're not getting any younger.
    Nice build.

11. BJR

BJR

What's the record for a long lost thread coming back to life with the original poster posting?

12. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Haha! Glad you're here with me!

13. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

For real! I have more patience, but less energy... Thank you!

14. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

None of my time records are very impressive!

15. Driver50x

Driver50x

Welcome back! I love this project. Please don’t take any more six year breaks. Lol

16. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Never say never!

I'd like a look inside one of those Equalizer manifolds, as they claim to equalise the flow to each port with only one carb, not sure how it can do that.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks! I hope it doesn't go that way, again.

18. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Right. This has always been an "Occasional Priority"!

I don't really know much about the intake, I bought it used from a friend in a package with the lakester and FSI. The 94 was rebuilt many years ago is problematic, so as of now, I can't tell what's going on with the intake.

19. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

A buddy came by to lend a hand with the wiring. I'm trying to keep it as neat as possible. I will be hding the wires with some sheathing once it;s all working. I never intended to use a harness, but after thinking about it, it just made sense.

Also the electric fuel pump helps with the new carb/intake set up.

Attached Files:

20. No offense @HOTRODPRIMER but ya look a little pale ( sick that is)

Prewar and winduptoy like this.
  21. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Got some more done today, windshield glass installed, radiator repaired and installed(after I got a good cap, it sprung a leaks that I chased around the engine, hoses first) if anyone in Orlando is in need of radiator repair, I recommend Prater Radiator. They changed the tanks for me years ago and did this repair at no charge and got it done the same day!

Yesterday my buddy came by and we got it to idle with the 94. I put a dummy carb on and some air cleaners - lookin' like a hot rod now. IMG_8113.jpg IMG_8119.jpg

I installed a baffle in the lakester and it sounds great. Not too loud anymore.

22. Man... what a cool hot rod! :cool::cool::cool:

Welcome back from your hiatus. :)

23. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks ccain! I'm happy to be back at it.

ccain likes this.
  24. hipojoe

hipojoe

Not to Highjack your thread but there are others that take their time. Dad has a 28 SPECIAL that he began around 1960 ! He was going to get it going, then he had kids and hoped to get it done with them around That didnt really work out but I tried, then grand kids came along they liked different things, and then finally his Great Grandkids show some interest in vintage Hot Rods. It has taken over 60 years to get it going but it is finally tearing up the streets. Keep at it you will get there! IMG_1082.JPG

25. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks for the encouragement! That's a cool story about your Dad never giving up! He's got a really cool hot rod as a reward!

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

I finished up the wiring today. Headlights mounted and wired. Taillights mounted and wired. Turn signals and hazards wired. Fuel pump wired.

All functioning as they should! Wow, so close.

Next on the list is to get the throttle working. I'm hoping to use the original model a gas pedal system, but I need a way to reverse the direction. Use of a pivot will be involved.

Anyone done this successfully? I'm all ears. It's the only thing keeping me from the first test drive.
    IMG_8358 2.jpg IMG_8359 2.jpg IMG_8360 2.jpg IMG_8363 2.jpg IMG_8359 2.jpg

Attached Files:

clem, pprather, Jeff34 and 1 other person like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always amazes me when I read about someone wiring a car, glad it turned out successfully.

Outback and Prewar like this.
  28. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

Thanks The37Kid! It is a Model A, so not a lot of circuits. If it was a larger car with lots of accessories, it would have been far more intimidating. It was my first time. Got a great harness from EZ Wiring in Florida. Instructions were clear, color coded and labeled every so often. I just took my time, and had some help from a friend who has wired many cars. He got me going and I ran with it.

Hamtown Al, The37Kid and Outback like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

At 72 I'll run out of time to wire any of mine, hope the grandkids understand wiring.

Prewar likes this.
  30. Prewar

Prewar
    from Orlando

I understand! If it's not in your wheelhouse , it's just not. I hope they they do too.