Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods World's Fastest Model T at B-ville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyin-t, Sep 11, 2009.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

2. fixed it for you.:D

3. TV

TV

Bobby, is right. We have been taking our Banger flathead 27 modified roadster for the last 4 years and have came home with a bloody nose every year. Its not that we can't make huge HP, but you just won't believe the crap we have run into. My hat is off to anyone that can run one and get a record. We will go back and keep trying and we get a little smarter each year, but you still have to have some luck. It really helps that its so much fun.

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

It would be interesting to find out how much this car weighs. I've often wondered how fast someone can push a T engine in a car similar to Costella's motorcycle streamliner.
    It's unfortunate that Bonneville is a once a year deal. With more development time this car will go 200mph.

5. flyin-t

flyin-t

The little hand out I came home with from the meeting the other night said the car was geared for a top speed of 170 mph at 5000 rpm.

Seeings how the car is the old 'Thermo King Special' , that ran 199 in '79, I would think there'd have to be some kind of info on it rat holed away somewhere.

6. TV

TV

Gearing one for 170 mph and going that fast are as different as night and day. We have been gearing our car for 130 mph at 5000 rpm and have only been able to run 112 mph so far, every-time we think we are there, something stupid happens. Its almost become a joke.--TV

7. flyin-t

flyin-t

I just posted that because that's what the team owner said and someone mentioned that maybe the car will, with more development, go 200.

But you have to admit, gearing for 170 and going 166 is pretty cool.

TV, do you live in Cerritos or Artesia? When I was a kid, that was called Dairy Valley cause it was still all dairys.

8. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Don't feel bad Tom, I have a feeling that next year is your year.

9. flyin-t

flyin-t

10. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I agree - Racing is like a weed when it stops growing, it will writhe and die.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not to lessen the acomplishment of the car being dicussed here. But while it is true that racing requires inovation to remain interesting and fun to do, Vintage car racing looses any connection to it's "Vintage" roots when allowed to adopt modern advancements. Wittness todays NHRA "Vintage" drags. They are nothing like the drags I went to in the fiftys and early sixtys. HAMB Drags on the other hand do seem more what I remember. SCTA will not allow replacement blocks or even a 1941 cast block on a 1932 Ford four cylinder engine. The turbos and EFI seem to be kind of out of place on a T block. It was my understanding that we would not use either of those items as well as five main bearing conversions when this class was being propossed. I don't know what happened.

12. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I agree with Rich, I get a real kick out of getting the records we have using entirely old technology. We have always only run 3 mains, stromberg carbs and vintage blowers, but I can see that at some point if we are to continue going faster and holding records we'll have to give in to more modern technology. ( Unfortunately ). But were gonna hold out as long as possible.

13. bob green and the old crow speed shop... you sirs are my heros
    keep up the good work
    true record holders woth old school tech
    tk

14. wayneat

wayneat

I thought these pictures looked familiar. They are not of Joel Young's engine, but they are of mine. I am building it to run in a 27 roadster at Bonneville. 3 mains and a homemade flathead and no turbo. The carbs will clear a stock hood. Wayne

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

15. My pics of the car taken at speedweek 09
    ross jvc 026.jpg
    ross jvc 035.jpg

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Wayne; Well that's odd. I saw that Crazydaddyo posted pics of your engine and assumed that it was. My apoliges. Glad to know that your in agreement with my thoughts on V4F motors. Of course 5 mains is OK if it came that way. RF

17. flyin-t

flyin-t

Wow, tough crowd. I didn't know that so many of you guys felt that way about the 5 main cranks, which is kinda funny because that problem was dealt with back in the day with a 5 main crank and webs for the T that could be bought when the T was still a new car.
    But I can see your point.
    At any rate, as only an observer of you guys racing the V4 flat head class, I like 'em all, no matter how many mains you run.

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to be picky, but didn't you run an EFI on your car?

From an outsiders POV, i agree with the 5 main comment, V4F seems like a class that should be for vintage engines in thier vintage configuration. Not that Pop's Green wasn't building 5 main T blocks back in the 20's, but those were race specific non-production items.

As an example, dont the flat head v8 guys have a thing against the french flathead blocks.

Dig the record, but it is where it belongs. I look forward to seeing the worlds fastest model T powered model T.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not that your being "Picky" But No, I did not use EFI on my car. And would have to be a pretty strange guy to say I don't believe in it while using it. What I did do was use throttle bodies from a Ford EFI or a Suzuki EFI for my Hilborn type mechanical fuel injection. They are cheap and very high quality compaired to what you can buy fron Stu. The V4F class was proposed as a less expensive banger class that the V4 class which has evolved into a pure race motor group that still uses some early Ford iron in non stressed areas of the block. To that end I understood that five main conversions would not be used. Five main engines that came that way (Dodge Bros.) would be OK. Turbos and EFI were to be considered to modern and not in the "Spirit" of the rules. French flathead V8 blocke are considered to be "Replica" blocks and so like the Donavin are not allowed.

Attached Files:

20. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I had heard that starting next year they will allow the French blocks

21. flyin-t

flyin-t

Could be the fastest, purest model T record in the books, sans body but running chains. This car set and held the one-way record at the time of 104.45 in 1912. Set a best speed of 107.78 on the frozen Lake St. Clair. This is the 999-II car and it still exists today.

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

purest except that the engine is 500 cu in...

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that is a great idea, and should stay that way. The model T speedster guys are very anal about this stuff. No major parts can be post '27. They even went as far as to outlaw down draft carbs (a wee excessive) but they want to totally period. Sorry for the confusion on the EFI/ Mechainical injection, I recalled from our conversation that you had used Ford throttle bodies.

Of your various set ups, did you find that the engine ran better with the longer intake runners or the shorter ones? Did you run a particularly high compression head? What style combustion chamber did you opt for (crows foot/ ricardo or a V8 style chamber?

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It ran almost the same with the real long runners I don't have a picture with them on the car. and with the shorter runners. 113.75X only differance was in the X didget. I tried to copy the '49 Ford head I had for a combustion chamber and was shooting for a 9 to 1 CR.

Attached Files:

25. flyin-t

flyin-t

No it wasn't, the 999-II car was Model T based.

26. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Three bearings, five bearings, updraft or EFI. Still pretty impressive all around.

27. TV

TV

[/QUOTE]
    Wayne, I was sure that was your engine, I thought you had made it for him. I saw those pics a while back sent to me from a friend. I'm glad you are building this one for yourself. I think there is still a lot to be gained with the old stuff. I really think the Flathead can be made to break 200 mph in the right car with enough old goodies.--TV

28. jpm49c

jpm49c

Here's a couple pictures i took on the salt. Joel said he machined his own head. The turbo was tucked under the rear body work. John

Attached Files:

29. jfrolka

jfrolka

the love for speed is why technology is in 'vintage' racing

30. jpm49c

jpm49c

A couple more of Joel's engine. John

Attached Files: