Register now to get rid of these ads!

World's Fastest Hippie, Mike Mitchell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Oct 12, 2004.

1. There was a guy at the Cali Hot Rod Reunion who has an unreleased film of Mike Mitchell on tour from 1974. Fotage from Fremont, Sacto and the County with the Challenger with Impeach Nixon on the spoiler. He's looking for some more pix and stories to finish the film for release. If you knew Mitchell you definetely have stories to tell. What a charactor he was… So if you have tales to tell, post 'em here or forward them to me. If he uses them you'll get credits and a copy of the final product. If you liked the film: Funny Car Summer, you'll love this stuff.

thanx in advance…

Phil

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

His best bet is to get on Nitrogeezers message board. Lots of old racers and track photographers on there. Mike had a Challenger in 74? All I remember is the top fuel FED from the late 60's. Thought he dropped out after they went rear engine in 72. But then, I was overseas most of 74 and missed a lot. His FED is a cackle car now.

3. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Check on gassermadness.com or dragsterland.com or southernfuelcoupes.com or dragsters.net or fedaonline.org or nitroland.com or mysterion.net or.... whatever you can search up with a google search.

4. My mistake. Mike ran a 'Cuda in '74. Funny story: Mike had Impeach Nixon painted on the spoiler with the X in Nixon as a swastika, Ol' Wally Parks saw it and made Mike put duct tape over it. 2 years later, after the Nix resigned, Wally told Mitchell he was sorry and that Mitch was correct.

Thanx for the tip on the other drag boards. Of course, when the film is finished, I'll post info here.

Where is the cackle car? Does it have the original paint job?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I had 2 Nixon bumper stickers on my Camaro.

"Why change Dicks in the middle of a screw"
    "Vote for Nixon in 72"

And this one just because it rhymed.

"In the middle of a screw, why change Dicks"
    "Re-elect Nixon in 76"

That second one actually came out in 72.

6. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

Mike Mitchell

Attached Files:

7. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

pomona 1971 , the hookah pipe is a killer, he died of a heart failure ,in his home i think i remeber, i miss the good old days when a guy did it like he did , very few tools and more than enough desire

Attached Files:

blackout78666 likes this.
  8. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

l

Attached Files:

9. Thanx for the pix. Ol' Mike used to have Pisianno's old ramp truck. His wife sold it for $3200 with a new 427 and new chrome. Bitchen truck with a bunch of history. I wish I'd've bought it.

10. slammed

slammed

Great information. Tha 'Vett ws one my favorite's of his car's.

11. 1934plymouth

1934plymouth

I worked with Mike Mitchell when he had the Challenger Funny car and was with HAT Racing in San Rafael. I pitted on the car at several events including the one at Fremont Drag Strip where he and Gene Snow had a 2 out of 3 match race as a intro for Evil Kanevil where he jumped several Peterbuilt Trucks. This was a very intreging event as the Jefferson Starship was sponsoring the car at the time and we were transporting the car in Mike Fischer's drop frame semi truck which was painted with the various album covers from the Starship. I was riding in the back with the car when we stopped all of a sudden before we got into the pits, the back door opened and in climbed Mike with all the members of the Starship. We rode into the pits that way so they would not have to pay! In addition there was a hair raising event that happened in the third round which would determine the winner of the 2 out of 3 match race, Snow won the first round, Mike the Second, and on the third, after the burn out the main fuel line into the injector housing started pouring Nitro all over the hood of the car. The starter was giving Mike frantic singles to cut the engine, Mike was adamently shaking his head 'no!' and giving us hand singles to fix the leak so he could finish the round. We ran to the tow vehicle, had to push Marty Balin and Grace Slick out of the way so we could get to the tool box, grabbed a wrench and ran back to the car. Gene was already starting to stage his car and we were yelling at the starter to give us a little more time, still the Nitro was spewing all over the car and now down on the strip. We tightened the fitting, stopped the fuel leak and started to wipe down the fuel all over the front of the car. Mike freaked out shaking his head and pointing to Gene Snow as he was staging, the starter was still making chopping signs at Mitchell to kill the engine, Mike waived us away and started moving forward to the prestage line almost running me down. We backed away, Mike staged, the starter hit the button the lights counted down and off they went. Everyone expected the car to burst into flames, but it did not and Mike won beating Gene 2 out of 3.

This just goes to show the kind of balls that Mike had, he did not want to give up the round and the show because of a serious leak, he was an all out racer.

I have other stories too if the guy is interested. I would like to get a copy of the movie too if possible. He can call me: Dennis W. Amaral, (800) 814-3284 work, (916) 941-6394 home.

hipster likes this.
  12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ha, that's a cool story!

13. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

I remember that dirty ass hippy :), I was just a wee lad then.

14. im mike mitchell , just not that mike mitchell.

15. I got to spend the weekend at a GG's event at Sears Point with Mike. He was there just hanging out.Not stuck up at all.We talked all weekend and went to dinner a couple of times. He told me a few stories that were great . A couple about when he was driving jet cars. Man, You have to have balls to strap into one of those. Nice guy. Was sorry to hear of his passing but glad I met him. Rip Mike!

16. Ramblur

Ramblur

Got a guy local here that drove for Mickey Thompson back then,
    I'll have to ask him about it. I need an excuse to get him to break
    out his collection anyhow.

17. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Chili Phil I had to join the HAMB when I seen this thread as I owen
    Mike Mitchells old 1933Willys I live in England,
    If it is possible I would like to get a copy of the movie too.
    Can you put me in touch with the guy or could you let me know
    when it is out this is a link to see my car.

http://www.drcreview.com/news.asp?art=166

Thanks Paul in the UK,

18. long island vic

long island vic

i had a bumper sticker in 72 .....you cant lick our dick........

19. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

About 15 years ago, I bought the hippie's 69 Vette funny car. How it got to small town Wisconsin is another story.I knew it was Mitchel's. I didn't know at the time that it was AMBR winner in 1970. I sold it back to Mike. I see it's been restored and it's currently on display at the Petersen Museum.

20. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Chili Phil ... i have a few when Mike ventured East to match race us in the 70's & 80's .. I will fill ya in @ GNRS

21. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

22. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

I think the car ( or a replica ) was at the Hot Rod Reunion last year ( '06 ) can anyone verify this or am I just getting old ?:eek: :eek: :eek:

23. Nope. It was at the Reunion 3 or 4 years ago. In the Grove. I mean the Corvette. Maybe one of the Funny Cars was there. I didn't feel real good last year and I hung pretty close to the Viper's Pit. So I COULD be wrong.

24. beegator

beegator

25. pprather

pprather

I never met Mike, but he was a friend of my brother. When I went to the 50th Grand National Roadster Show at the Cow Palace, Mike gave my brother a complimentary ticket to give to me. Great show! The 'Vette was on display at that show.

I saw the 'Vette at the NHRA museum two years ago and sent the pictures to my brother. Mike is now just a memory.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread,
    Phil
    brown '31 Vicky

26. justacarguy

justacarguy

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I love this freakin' car, it's beautiful!

Howzabout some traditional sign guy donate 20 minutes and take that nasty-ass vinyl lettering off the tail panel and properly letter the "In Memory" bit!

Eeeeeyuch....

Attached Files:

28. dalewayne81

dalewayne81
    from Livermore

A friend of mine worked for the painter who painted the "Revolution". The painters name was Tom Olsen and the shop was in Livermore Ca. I remember when the car was in Tom's shop. My freind, Carl Palla drew the pipe and did the gold leaf work. Tom's painting was pretty amazing at the time.

29. ronnzilla

ronnzilla

I was at the Oakland Roadster show the year Mike showed his car. At the end of the show, many of the cars drive out of the arena. No one told Mike that it may not be a good idea to start his BB/Gas corvette and drive it out but drive it out he did. He then proceeded to do a number of dry burn outs with the crowd and myself standing only a few feet away. I remember that he sort of waved people out of his way prior to doing a burnout and then all of us were treated to a rain of tire rubber coming down on all of us. This soon caught the attention of the local authorities and they stopped Mike and pulled him out of the car. I remember telling a cop that Mike was a professional and he should not be arrested. The cop replied professionals don't endanger the public. In hindsight, I guess the cop was right. Many years later I was in the grandstands with my daughter at sears point drag strip. I saw a guy that really looked like Mike (I lived near his shop in Marin County and while I did not know Mike, I saw him at his shop frequently), and asked if he was Mike Mitchell. He glared at me and reply "Who the F was I and I responded that I saw him drive his car out of the Oakland Roadster show. He said you and millions of people have told him they were there. I replied that when the cops pulled him out of his car he yelled at his crew member to turn the water pump on. Mike's got real big and he said Holy F you were really there! I was dismayed when I learned he had past as the was truly a character. I have more stories about him but this was the one that had the most details. He was truly a character and put on a great show whenever I got to see him race.

30. mopacltd

mopacltd

I helped Mike load his car at Pomona sometime in the 70's. Man, could that guy tell some stories. Hadn't seen him for probably 20 years and while attending a Good Guys race in Bakersfield. There was Mike needing help loading the race car onto the ramp truck. I walked up an asked if he needed some help. To my astonishment, when Mike turned and saw me he remembered me from the previous occasion. Remembered the time and my name. I will never forget Mike Mitchell. RIP