Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worlds fastest Commer...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Commer, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You should have put a blown knocker engine in it. That would be hard core.

2. LabRat

LabRat

Talented and impressive work ......

Maybe not traditional though , I think the DOGFIGHT would be a better place for this thread ....

See the link at the bottom of the page .

3. mrforddude

mrforddude

Ok, no one else has the balls to say it...Totally not what I expected to be reading when I read the title of this thread... Just the inner-perve coming out...

4. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Thats some pretty cool work going on there. Nice to see somebody work outside the box for a change.
    Them Commers are pretty scarce over here in the uk now. And they never looked that good :)

Paul.

5. Yes, it takes a second to say it, but just a little longer to do it I guess!

6. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Great looking build.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay! I'm with you now! Thanks! HAHA! :D:D

That was going to be my next question after seeing the bit about the trans intention to live behind the smaller diesel... What are those transmission capable of handling??

Really cool!

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Toni,

Welcome to the HAMB...took you long enuff to get here...!!!

I have a couple of questions: How are we to know it's the "world's fastest Commer"...??? Must we take your word...??? Will you actually get it on the "flats" (are there any "flats" in Sweden)...??? Or is the truck the "world's fastest" cuz no one else has the guts to build an ugly truk in Sweden...???

I like it...and your build is way beyond anything I could build...glad to see you posting the build here...using junk yard parts (anywhere) fits my definition of traditional...that's the way we used to do it way back when, before 1-800 parts were available...!!!

R-

9. Commer

Commer

Thanks alot, everybody.

This build is to satisfy my need of create something, to manufacture parts out of my mind and to scare the shit out of all these expensive fullbloods!;)
    Even though the engine only have 280 bhp, there is plenty of room for turb... improvements!
    There are people that race Audis with 400bhp with that gearbox, so I think it can take the torque. (Not dragracing!!!)

Well... the plan is to get a speed reading approved by The Guiness Book of World Records. Since there is no earlier records noted, a decent(!) amount of kmh (they are just slightly faster than mph...) would be good enough.
    Where?
    We don't need any Flats, we have die Autobahn in Germany!!! Just 3 hours drive from my home.

Rod on
    Toni

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  10. For your first build you are doing very well. We still have Commer trucks laying around under trees here in NZ, but they're all very rusty now.
    BTW: my stepson and his family live in Stockholm and my wife and I are coming to Sweden next year, around September. If you're not too far from Stockholm I would love to see this beast.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Toni, I fall victim to the US's geography all the time...I keep thinking countries are like the US...very big and it takes days to drive to either coast...I forget all of Europe would fit inside the US and we'd still have room... Three hours drive to a German Autobahn just boggles my mind...

Three hours from Denver, in any direction and I'd still be in ColoRODo... (OK, it's only two hours to the Wyoming line...!!!)

R-

12. Commer

Commer

You are most welcome!

Malmoe (Malmö in swedish) is 620 km south of Stockholm, very close to Denmarks capitol city Copenhagen.

Just give me a ring before.
    Toni

13. Nice work so far! I like it a lot! That will be great if everything works out as planed, can't wait to see this thing finished and on the track.

14. Commer

Commer

Time for some more pic´s.
    Since Im gonna use the old engine bay as luggage compartment, I have to relocate the radiator to the rear.
    There will be a special feature for the air to get there in high speeds...

The truk will also be slightly wider, since I have to build new fenders anyway.

Enjoy
    Toni

Attached Files:

15. Commer

Commer

At the middle and front end, a torsion spring system is made.
    Adjustable ride height and spring stiffness is always good.

Attached Files:

16. Commer

Commer

The brake lines are fun to fabricate and since I choosed the old Volvo system, I got my hands full.
    Two separate circuits where the both front wheels and left rear are one and the two front wheels and the right rear is the second.
    Good safety, but a lot of plumbing!

Attached Files:

17. Commer

Commer

The last pic´s for this time are more brake related.
    I want the exterior and interior to be as original looking as possible so I made some own solutions with the e-brake...

Rod on
    Toni

18. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Wow!! The fab. work and engineering on this truck are amazing! Nice work man, can't wait to see this thing rolling under its own power...

19. Commer

Commer

Now for some pic's from today.
    The chassis is now ready for the first inspection of three.

In Sweden you are allowed to build your own car from scratch only under certain conditions:

• When you have a rolling chassis you call a guy from a non govermental association, SFRO. He comes to you and check your build. Welding quality, overall construction, front end geometry, power versus brakes etc. He is a "friend", nomally a car builder himself.
    • Next inspection comes when everything is ready for a test drive. Needless to say, you shouldn't have painted anything yet... A noise reading is also done here and the tip of the day here is, be creative! If your pride and joy pass, it's time for:
    • The last inspection, our normal, yearly vehicle checkup. Have the lights its E-marking, do you have an accident warning triangle, any rust on vital parts(!) etc? Done by the "enemy", payed by the goverment. They also check your paperwork. And loves to find something wrong. Exceptions exists though.
    So, here I am today, next post will either be about the cab :D or me redoing the whole chassis :(. All depends how the inspection goes...

20. Commer

Commer

Pic's.

Attached Files:

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Insane!! That is very cool! Looks like it should handle really well too!

Good luck with your inspections...

22. Commer

Commer

Thanx.
    Since this is my first build I'm pretty nervous...

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would like to build a Commer I seen in some pics from Australia,its like a 1 1/2 ton or larger cabover or maybe a old Albion too. Dont know what it would take to get one in the states but would be different,is a knocker motor slang for a diesel and if not what is it.

24. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Way to go Toni ... nice to see it on wheels... put a seat on it and go round the block :D:D:D you know we would...:eek:

Roach

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh man Toni, that is gorgeous...you shouldn't sweat the inspections...from the looks of it, it could pass an NASA engineer's inspection.

Nice job...you bringing that to the US to go rod running with us when you're done...???

R-

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  26. Wow, Great work you're doing there. Good luck with your inspections. This thing deserves to be driven. U.S. folks be thankful we don't have to jump through all of these governmental hoops......yet!

27. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

No doubt it will be the fastest Commer pickup in the world, it may well be the only Commer pickup left in the world!

-KK

28. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Fantastic build! I guess you're some sort of fabricator by trade, aren't you?

Just a little note; Looking at your suspension and the low chassis, have you checked your scub-line...?
    You seem to have it all in check, but that thing just looks so low and the A-arms are already pointing upwards a bit...

Good luck with the inspections.

29. theunforguven

theunforguven
    from U.K.

I know some Commers in Turkey, also some were produced in there and in Iran as well.
    Just wanted to ask, don't you think that you would need anti-dive angles for upper arms?

30. Very cool build. It is always interesting to see what someone else's thoughts on a hot rod are.

Great Work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.