Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WORLD SERIES of DRAG RACING MOVING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Mar 10, 2016.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

Drag racing's longest running event, The World Series of Drag Racing, has been held every year in Illinois since 1954 at Cordova Raceway. Sadly, a tradition has ended. The race is moving to Memphis for 2016. Only time will tell if it was the right thing to do.

2. that sucks. every year the place is packed. last year they put up more grandstands and filled them to. its always a great show. they have a very strong following for that race. i don't think many will travel that far.

3. frank spittle

frank spittle

That and The Olympics Of Drag Racing are beyond legendary.

4. I have done many back to back weekends between the two. great times. so the question now is what is currently the longest running event? is it the Olympics of drag racing? maybe brett knows.

5. ...sounds like sad news to me,...another tradition ends.

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

I am not aware of a longer running drag race.

7. Kurt

Kurt

The track supposedly sold last year and the new owners thought Memphis would be more centrally located for more people. Makes no sense to me. been going there for over 30 years. no more

8. I talked to someone connected from the area. The track got into a financial dispute with the local goverment. A pissing match took place that cost the new owners some cash. It sounds like the track miss represented something regarding a loan. The owner said i will show you and moved the race. nice job. Real nice.

9. chevylady

chevylady

Just saw this thread. Dad had run at the World Series at Cordova, and I was actually gonna make a trip to it this year, you know, be all nostalgia and stuff. I realize it's not their fault I hadn't made it there yet, but I kinda felt kicked in the pants now that I can't attend the World Series at Cordova.

10. ahshoe

ahshoe

5 of us went there every year for many many years. A lot of legends in drag racing have been there for the "Series"We are more than pissed about this .It was the final hoot for us, for the summer. I especially loved all the old Mopars and I am not a Mopar guy. The place was so packed two years ago that they ran out of parking area. I will miss it and never go there again! PS I used to race there in the mid 70's. every Saturday evening.

11. chevylady

chevylady

Wow, I can't blame yall for being ticked, especially because it's part of your tradition. It's really cool you used to race there 'back then'. :) I probably have been there, but was too young to remember.