Register now to get rid of these ads!

Working in LA. Where should I hang out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackman, Feb 21, 2015.

1. My coworker and friend of mine are working in LA for about a week. Any advice on cool spots to hang out? Bars, food, ect? A trad rodder's point of view would bring peace of mind.

Thanks guys,
    Hack

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I guess if I was in LA I'd wanna see the Peterson museum, The farmers market has some good places for meals. this time of year there might be some car shows near by, check the papers.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you hang out in any bar owned by Bobby Green you help fund his Bonneville cars. Bob

volvobrynk, Hitchhiker and slammed like this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You didn't mention where in the L.A area you will be working. It's a big area.

5. The Peterson Museum is closed for complete renovation until late this year. I believe they are in the ugliest building in the world contest, and are the front runner!

Mick

6. toml24

toml24

The Automotive Driving Museum in El Segundo, about 1 mile South the Los Angeles Intl. Airport, is a very good place to check out vintage cars. Also, the FREE Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach, every Saturday morning from 5:30am to 8:30am. About 250 cars and trucks every Saturday. Donut Derelicts is the best FREE car show on the West coast.

7. toml24

toml24

Also, you need to stop at In-N-Out and get yourself one of these.
    2015-in-n-out-secret-menu - 14.jpg

Saxman and slammed like this.
  8. Where in LA? LA is 4752 square miles, Yellowstone Park is 3468 (but a much better place to visit). You should also post the dates you will be here in case anything special is happening.

Charlie Stephens

Special Ed likes this.
  9. Sorry. No contest to the Experience Music Project here in Seattle.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  10. I second the Bobby Green of Old Crow Speed shop suggestion. Check out 1933 group. I think that's his bar collection.

11. We are right off of sunset blvd in a condo. Im from Montana. Holy shit!! Thanks for the replies guys. I think we are gonna head to Pomona to the NHRA museum tomorrow. Ill post pics

12. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

If your still around on Friday, Have dinner at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank (15-20 north, off of I-5) Car Meet every Friday night

13. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

Next Sunday, March 1st, rain or shine, 15 miles of classic cars, parts, memorabilia & beer @ the famous Pomona Auto Swap Meet

14. Pomona Swap is March 1st
    check out socalcarculture for weekly events
    Go to Bobs Big Boy in Burbank on Friday or Sat night.
    Good luck getting in and out of Sunset blvd in the evenings.

15. rfraze

rfraze

Pink's Hot Dogs - LaBrea and Melrose, the original Tommy's Burgers, Tito's Tacos - just off 405 and Washington. Stoker's Hot Rod Shop - Ontario. Take a putt out Sunset to the coast then up PCH to the rock, plus all the stuff already mentioned.

16. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, Tommy's is awesome...........I suggest the Mega Combo with extra chili and lots of peppers.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Since the Petersen is closed drive down the road to the La Brea Tar Pits if you like real old history. http://www.tarpits.org/

18. rfraze

rfraze

You are gonna need more time.
    Take Hawthorne Blvd. south off 405, up and over Palos Verdes, all the way to the end, where you will find the Admiral Risty restaurant. Cocktails and sunset at the end of the world. Excellent seafood and steaks. Look for Catalina Island while in the area.
    If you have never been in a shop that had supercharged engines on display, you might just want to stop by Blower Drive Service (BDS) on Washington half mile south west of Whittier Blvd.
    If you have never been to a March Meet at Bakersfield (2 hrs N), it's coming up. Ask anyone at Bob's in Toluca Lake (the Fri night cruise suggested several times).
    Are they running TQs at Ventura Fairgrounds yet? (TQs-3/4 midgets on dirt) Great fun!!

19. This narrows it down but Sunset runs from the beach to Hollywood. If you narrow it down more there may be some local places that will get recommended to eat. I am talking about the small every day places to eat for regular meals, not the big exotic ones. Do you have a wife and kids with you that may be looking for something to do?

Charlie Stephens

20. seatex

seatex

I know LA is big, but how many square miles? :eek::cool::confused:

21. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

The apple pan for burgers. When you're in Pomona, hit el merendero for killer Mexican food. Been going there since I was in diapers.

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Everyday at 1 you can eat lunch with the "Cam-Father"Ed Iskyderian at the Fabulous Burger (Isky Burger) on the corner of Gardena Blvd and Broadway in Gardena

60'coupe likes this.