Register now to get rid of these ads!

Workbench Mod- Receiver hitch tool mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Beau

Beau

I picked this idea up over on The Garage Journal. I'm sure some of you know about it. I had 500 pounds of MIG gas left and some flux core wire to burn up so I figured I make it to free up space on shelves and the floor. I ended up gaining about 18 SF or space by doing this so far. I used parts I got from people for free and tubing from an old weight bench. I didn't spend a ton of time making it pretty. BTW, Flux core with gas can really penetrate. :p

First a cart on wheels. I used one of the stands I had a tube roller on.

[​IMG]

Then I welded a piece of square tube to accept 2" OD tube. I'm going to put one or two on each side of the bench.

[​IMG]

Then I dug through the scrap bin and welded shit together to make mounts for tool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just bought this little grinder from an estate sale. The PO is the one that used aluminum on it. Not me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I welded square tube on to the cart for storage.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with it. It's ugly, but you can make your own version.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Good idea! I have a wood work bench so I might try bolting the receiver hitch to the work bench.

3. Beau

Beau

4. lawman

lawman

A very nice "Fab" !!

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

That is cool. Great space saving idea

6. Had to be a young guy to have the tool box that low and under the bench.

7. Good thinking. Looks like it works great.
    Later,
    Dick

8. Folks were using flux core with gas when I lived in England. What polarity do you use?

9. Beau

Beau

I had to switch it for Flux. I tried it first without and it didn't work. I had heard a rumor from a buddy about using the two. I ran out of solid wire and my tank is low, I just want to squeeze what I can out before I go pick up more supplies.

I have read mixed reactions about this, but it seems to really penetrate and it's a bit less messy than straight flux core wire.