Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Work benches, lets see'm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, Jan 9, 2012.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I know this is more for garage journal, but not all of us here have accounts there. Lets see your place of serenety and frustration. Lets see your work benches, where you do the small fab work, small installation and assembly work. No matter if they are covered in parts, tools, etc. No shame here. Both homemade and purchased and or modifieds are welcome. Maybe even post any tool box set ups and or layouts. I will take a few pics maybe tomorrow of mine. I always love to see where others do there best thinking.. And im not talking about when you take the Browns to the super bowl lol

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

2. squirrel

squirrel

heh....you asked for it. Home made, had it in my shop in town 20 years ago, made it smaller when I moved out to the country. I figure if I get it down to about 3 feet wide and one foot deep, then it won't have room for the huge collection of crap that always accumulates, and I'll have to clean it off completely every time I use it.

This picture is just a small part of a picture of the Volvo I'm working on. Sorry.

Attached Files:

3. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Awesome. You can tell it has seen it's share of projects. Nice, thanks for posting. We all know how hard it is to keep our space clean and free from misc crap lol. If it is clean it is for 3 reasons, 1: you don't use it, 2: your starting a new project, or 3: you finally had enough of your wife complaining about it being dirty. Wives don't understand that it's our toy box. We don't like to clean up our legos... (or erector sets or lincoln logs for some of us on here) Lol and even though it may resemble a junk pile, packed to the rafters, we know where everything is at.. It's an organized mess. Atleast that's how mine is..

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

SEE EM? Hell i haven't seen mine in years!:D

5. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I don't know why you want to see it but here is one of mine, being used to support my chassis jig...

[​IMG]

David

6. terryble

terryble
    from canada

The work bench I would most like to see is my own!! I built my latest garage 6 years ago and still have not put most of my tools and "stuff" away or organized anything. This post has actually hit hime enough that I am going to get at it almost immediately.... right after I finish this beer and pizza, and of course reading the HAMB.

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The top is 1/2 inch plate, 20 ft. long. Its set perfectly level so its great for welding fabrication. Moving it to the new shop was a bitch!

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

My homemade attempt. 2x4 construction with 3 wide 2x12 top. It seems to stand up to the abuse I give it. The old desk also comes in handy.

[​IMG]

9. johnboy13

johnboy13

I don't have a good picture, so this'll probably get skipped over by a lot of you. I have a vintage embalming table from a local funeral home as my workbench. It's made of stainless steel, is adjustable, has a lock on each caster and a brake at each end. It has 10 inch wheels so it rolls across my garage floor with ease, it weighs a lot, too much for me to lift, and it has a sweet drip tray underneath to catch any fluids that might fall. Some might be creeped out by it, but it works great. It now has a small three drawer tool box mounted under one end. We call it the "Dead Body Table"

It looks something like this.
    [​IMG]

10. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Drooling.... :eek::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

11. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

That is both very interesting and very gross lol but I love the idea. If it wasnt for the grim past of the table, I am sure more people would use these. Thanks for sharing. This is one of my favorites so far.

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

12. LOL Super creepy but a good idea none the less.:D
    This could be a cool thread. I willhave to take a picture of mine sometime and post.

13. Never2low

Never2low

If you like the inside of Chaz's place...you should see the outside!:eek:

My humble offering. Gets the job done, for now. Black box is stationary, red box moves around, for portable work top. Orginizers are recessed into the wall to maximize worktop space, and minimize bench depth.(very important in a really small garage)

Attached Files:

14. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

That work bench is way too clean !! Aren't you working on anything ??? :)

15. Never2low

Never2low

I took the picture right after I finished it. Believe me, it's not always that clean.

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I"ll bet people are dying to have an embalming table like that. Sorry, I can't help it.

17. rustang

rustang

My workbenches are usually covered with tools and crap.... The one to the left of the truck (with the coat hanging from the vice) is a solid core door with a 48"x 36" piece of 3/8" industrial Tivar on top.

The one at the front of the truck is a 36" x 16'0" long piece of bowling alley with one wnd a 36"x 36" piece of 1/4" steel plate.... the bowling alley came from somehwere in southern IL where my uncle had got it... :)
    Tom

[​IMG]

18. I'm with this guy!!!:eek:

19. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

If you ever have anyone grieving you, just remind them what you have in the shop (lots of power tools and a table that's seen plenty of action). ;)

20. I have to segway a bit on this one. It looks something like this.
    [​IMG]

The guy I bought my crew cab from binder form had a bench in the middle of his shop.
    under it and covered by an old quilt was a casket. He pulled the blanket off to look for something behind it- and revealed the box. I had gotten to know him pretty well- so I thought-and I asked the question- WHY?

His response was that he had gotten a good deal on it in the 70's and couldnt pass it up. This was in 2005. He had been storing his own FREAKIN casket under his work bench since the 70's

it gave me the creeps- but shortly after that- I came up with the cash to by the truck!- I didnt want him to tip over on me before I bought this- Im sure this is also what hauled the casket home...

Attached Files:

21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

[​IMG]

Found it outside a shop in a local business park for free years ago. It's an old countertop on wooden 4x4s and 2x4 a short shelf underneath it. The light is an old interior book lamp that articulates. I'm a function over form kind of guy, so this works great.

22. I kinda have 2-, one for me and the other for what i earn a living at(really) Tool Repair man and old truck lover! I also love to RECYCLE!:)
    28 x 38 Garage w/10x28 seperated at end for the money making end and the rest is play. 10' from the house so no plumbing .yet:cool:
    Do have the lift w/14' ceiling and storage above shop.The bench is in my workspace w/vice,parts washer and few tools.
    The real tool box is in the garagemahall just a basic Craftsman 2 hold a few wrenches, hammers and some Metric(Work van)
    HAGD

Attached Files:

23. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I recycle too. Scavanged a bunch of white steel kitchen cabinets from an apartment complex to be demo'd. Used some of the shelves as backers for peg board pegs. Windows were free out of someone's garage. Got the base cabinets from a bank to be renovated, all free also. Found the fridge along side the road last week. Heck, even the sprint car tire was free off Lasowski's car - had to buy the wheel to mount it though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 free cabinets full of laquer paints from a car dealership to be demo'd:

[​IMG]

24. oj

oj

Heres most of mine, the left bench is where i weld, it has a floating vise that i move where needed, a large Pexto stake plate laid into the top, a bender and plate shear; the back bench is just a handy surface with different tooling that can be brought out front and used; the bench on the right is a continuation of the back bench and it has a large fixed vise (for those of you that hissed over my floating vise); these benches are 2 layers of 3/4 plywood (when you smack something on a thick wooden top the impact gets transferred, with a steel plate top on a bench the hammer will bounce back at you), the back bench has thick flooring tiles to trim it out; the plywood is a temporary bench that i stick in there from time to time for a specail project.

Attached Files:

25. simon g-s

simon g-s

Not sure if you can see my bench under this mess. Not usually like this but been thrashing to fix a dripping oil cooler and a few other pieces on my devon pickup. Bench is a warpped to hell steel bench from a burnt out blacksmith shop. Cheap is good but free is better !!!

Attached Files:

26. here's mine, it's small but it's quicker to clean off that way!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

RUSTANG, your uncle wouldn't happen to have been from middleton, wisc. ? reason being is that I hauled a piece of bowling alley from Momence,il. to middleton wisc. in a U-haul trailer in about 1974!.... weird!!

dave

28. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

Your workbench would make any mortician proud! I did the same thing with an old adjustable hospital bed some years back...put a top on it and it worked well!

29. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

30foot long and a freakin mess... I need to clean this weekend! ImageUploadedByTJJ1326159146.341686.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1326159301.729910.jpg

30. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

What bench?!? All I see is my dream car! :eek: