Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage woodward dream cruise info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carsraf, Aug 6, 2013.

1. carsraf

carsraf
    from R.I.

hello looking for info on Woodward dream cruise coming from R.i. any info you guys could give would help lot a thanks ron . email at [email protected]

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

The WDC is a huge event. So huge that it's a 10mile long parking lot from noon til 10pm at night when the cops clear everybody out.

I think that it's best enjoyed ANY day prior to the event, esp thurs/fri night. Cruising is already at full tilt!

To avoid the maelstorm, we spend Sat at the Gilmore Auto Museum with the Relix Riot. The museum's 7 barns, main bldg, diner car restaurant, & the new Model A museum host 300-400 rods n customs.

PM me if you need anything.

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

3. Marken

Marken

4. I used to travel to Troy, MI for business and would just so happen to plan a trip during the cruise. I would drive over each night during the cruise and hang out. Check out rooms in Troy....pretty decently priced.

What an amazing cruise BTW!!!!!

5. teejay99

teejay99

The usual Saturday morning and afternoon cruise has given way to a lot of people in their piece of shit mini vans and grocery getters ....there is no control over who does and doesn't cruise . Try Thursday and Friday night ....so many retired folks in the cruise , many of them are there for several days and nights . Lots of cool HAMB friendly cars amongst the usual boring late model Mustangs and Camaros that are some how thought of as " classics" .

6. It's a love / hate event. I live in the area and enjoyed it when it started...it soon became a way for someone to make a buck and boom people charge 100 bucks to park a car. Parking Lots are rented years in advance, lots of non cruising type cars blocking traffic, if you plan to cruise make sure your cooling system are in good shape. My advice...come in to town early cruise Wed, Thurs, Fri afternoon, and then head 3 hours west to the Relix Riot.

7. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Believe me, I'm not taking anything away from the cruise but I second heading the couple hrs east to the Relix Riot. The best time to cruise is before Saturday as stated before. You'll honestly have more fun parking your car and walking Woodward the length of the cruise. There is lots to see and little car shows at every corner it seems, besides you can walk the length of it faster than you could cruise it.

8. Deuces

Deuces

I'll be parking my ass under a tree on the southwest corner of Woodward and 13 Mile Rd. in front of Northwood Shopping Mall..
    And checking out the action...:cool:

9. I am taking the late model Vette from Maryland. I went August 19, 2000 in my 72 Cutlass. Too much planned for those days to take one of my rods. We need the weather to be decent.

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

^^^ what he said...

I went 1 time. Ya its great to experience. a lot of 60's cars. I had to get out of there. Way to many people. Gridlock. If you have any anxiety in traffic, good luck. I don't. and hated the crowd, its like heading toward a big city at 5 pm just to sit in traffic....

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

From this weekend on every single night on Woodward blows away any other cruizing event I can think of. Every local classic car will be out actually driving and there is always fewer daily driver cars out. LOTS of spectators on the curbs from the neighborhoods. Four lanes northbound, 4 lanes southbound from Ferndale to Birmingham will be hopping. Lots of HAMB folks hang out at the Shell Station every night. There's a group of us heading up on Friday night. Sunday night taking a girlfriend and her family there in the Cookie Pusher and I've got plans for Vinsetta's Garage on Monday for dinner and cruzn and on Tuesday dinner at Athens Coney Island and more cruzn. Leaving for the HAMB Drags on Wednesday. It's an exciting time of year here in the Motor City.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  12. Deuces

Deuces

What she ^^^^^ said....

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Made it up there twice! Had a VERY GOOD TIME both times! But the amount of new car junk clogging up the cruise on the weekend does get VERY ANNOYING! I'm with everyone here who mentioned go up early in the week cruise and get out of town by Sat am! Or all you do is sit and bake in your Hot rod and if it's a 4 speed well GOOD LUCK! I know from experience!

14. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

best nights are the weekend prior and Mon. thru Thur. the week of.

15. raymay

raymay

Heading there this week with my 56 again to visit my son and cruise. I usually do most of my cruising during the week. We make a few passes on Saturday and hang out in a lot on Woodward near 11 mile with some of my sons car club friends.
    Great stuff going on all week. On Wednesday nights we found a great cruise night further north in Holly Mi.

Attached Files:

16. Swifster

Swifster

Royal Oak is the city that likes to close off Woodward at 9:30PM. Head north before hand and the cruise actually lasts until it peters out around midnight. Pontiac stays open.

17. rusty63c10

rusty63c10

never really had anything bad happen its just you gotta know where to be when

18. teejay99

teejay99

Well , it's over for another year . My last , I think , and I've been to about 1/3 of them .....far too much crap out there . Maybe 5-10% interesting stuff for me , the rest is a sea of Mustangs , Camaros , Mini vans , jeeps , and other assorted shit that is about as "classic" as a dog turd . There is no control over what cruises , so if you think mom's Honda Civic is a classic , you're in .

T

19. Weather was perfect! A whole bunch of outrageous vehicles, and daily drivers.