Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wood bed ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sprout, May 9, 2015.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Looking for cool ideas I could do to the wood bed Im going to put in my truck.. Stains, paint, wood color, whatever.

2. bgaro

bgaro

hardwood and tung oil

Sprout likes this.
  3. Depending on the wood species I would just put a good exterior/marine grade clear.

4. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Mill your base wood to 1/2 thickness and then glue end cuts of different species of woods and then have it milled down even. Throw some finnish on it and stand back

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Originally they used fir. Hardwood may not be a good idea for a truck that gets used because it expands when wet and heaves up. Might be ok for a show truck or one that is kept inside.

Here is an idea, make the bed out of Formica glued to a base of waterproof plywood. Then add chrome or stainless rub strips.

I am not talking thru my hat here. About 10 years ago I got a hunk of Formica covered plywood from the counter of a sub shop that was being torn down. I used it for a floor in a little trailer I was building to haul trash. It is still in there, still in good shape although faded and it has been sitting outside all that time. Plus I don't know how old it was when I got it.

If I had used wooden boards, plywood, or even steel I am sure it would be rotted out by now.