Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Women Mechanics and Hot rodders???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BetsyVanDeVille, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Dads426

Dads426
    from Olney, MD

Liz Miles on the left coast (http://milesspeed.com/). She has a website and has done some great metal fabrication and has a bunch of projects to boot. Plus, she ain't bad to look at....

2. I used to work with a lady who rebuilt her SBC (383) in her kitchen because the light was better than in the garage. She runs a '68 Camaro blown SBC that turns easy 9's all night long. She built it and maintains it herself. The funny thing is that she runs more consistant times and breaks fewer parts than the guys trying to beat her.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. fine me

fine me

:D
    Good for you, Betsy! You keep on learning and doing, and IGNORE anyone who says you "shouldn't" or "can't".

I'm likely older than you, and when I was a little girl, any interest in cars by girls was simply not tolerated. I was thrown out of many a garage when all I wanted to do was to stay and learn about all things mechanical. "Go help your mother...this is for boys", was all I heard. :mad: My dad knew nothing about cars, and I really wish I had a mentor who could have taken me under his wing. Ya got teased for being unladylike and for having dirt under your fingernails. God forbid if you were ever caught wearing anything that wasn't pretty and frilly, sitting quietly with your clean hands folded in your lap. Ugh. :confused:

It's taken years for society to get where it is now, and it took really thick skin for us ladies to endure some of the insults and sexist attitudes that came our way over the years, and that will sometimes still come our way when we show any interest or aptitude in car mechanics.

I'm lucky to have found a hubby that shares my interest in cars. Neither of us are anywhere nearly as gifted as the amazing Hambers at this site, but we still do what we can. My hubby has a great attitude...when folks ignore me and ask him questions about our old car, he will say, "better ask the wife; she's the expert". We have a lot of fun working together on the cars, and I hope you find someone like that too some day. Smart guys think girls who love cars are hot. ;)

So ignore the naysayers and listen to your dad and brothers, as well as to the great guys (and gals) here at the H.A.M.B. who offer their support.

Go get 'em, Tigress!
    :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Hellfish

Hellfish

Definitely not "normal", but do you really want to be like everyone else? So the bumkins in your town give you crap for being different. Be proud and do what you love. I bet there are HAMBers not too far from you that would love to have your help, and help you. Get out and drive.

Many of the first dates my wife and I had were her driving with me over an hour away to do body work on my 59. Later, she built her own '51. She did just about everything... engine, suspension, body work, upholstery, etc. Here are some in progress shots and a (nearly) final version. She took it on a 700 mile drive its 2nd time out. :) She often (correctly) diagnoses mechanical problems before I do. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. pitman

pitman

Wow! Not to mention better taste in carpets too!

6. aaggie

aaggie

Catch the TV show "All Girls Garage", Jessie is a very good welder and fabricator. She used to be on "4 X 4 Extreme" and sometimes was on "Mythbusters".

7. Barb Hamilton's desire to build, maintain, and race her legendary '40 Willys drag car is more proof that the hobby has had lady involvment. You can also say Shirley Moldowny. Yes I realize these ladies were drag racers, but their early cars were pretty hot rod-like.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Lucky77

Lucky77

Yesterday I posted pics of my girlfriend helping unload parts from a recent haul. Here she is all prettied up hanging out with Winfield, and getting down in the garage. She's a mechanical engineer and takes a huge interest in anything I do when it comes to working on old cars. I'm a pretty lucky guy.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. I'd be totally good with this. So Honey, what did you get done on the 1936? Hows the Whippet coming? Did you get all the body welded up? Nice job!!! But instead, I have a wife that makes my breakfast lunch and dinner, pays the bills, does the daily dudrum duties while I work in Construction. She is great in many other ways. So its a trade off!! I'm a happy camper. And don't think my wife can't hold her own. If I piss her off, Oh man am I in shit!!! LOL!!

10. southern thunder

southern thunder

if it makes you happy, go for it,

11. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Hey Beaner, that was an awesome story. I liked to fell out the other day. My wife and I were sitting with her family while we were all RVing and boating and we started to talk about the upcoming "bills and budget". I had to sell my stuff off and haven't been able to get anything because I feel like it is my duty as a father to provide for my family first and I am working as much as I can now to send my daughter to a private Christian school. My wife said, "yeah we need to get some of these bills and tuition taken care of and then we can get into some fun and daddy (me) can get a project because I really do want him to have one, believe it or not". looked over at her and didn't quite know what to say.

12. Zerk

Zerk

Not normal...much better than normal. Wear it with pride.

13. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I've know a number of women who can race pretty well but I've never know one who could turn a wrench. If she could, that's great, I just have never seen one.

14. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

How about Kimmie working on your 59AB?:)

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

This is Sarah one of 3 female members of Silhouettes Kustoms & Hot Rod.
    From grease to paint to even a few cuts here and there that is what you'll see on her hands.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Has anyone seen Deuce of Spades - Faith wrenching on her deuce in high heels was the most sexy part of the whole movie!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. ratster

ratster

here is my baby doll Tiki putting in 1200 plus rivets on a mk4 ac roadster. she is a keeper :)

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I'm member of the Gasoline Girls (gasolinegirls.com) - we're building a demo derby car from scratch! We're so cal based but we have a network of out of towners on our closed forum if your interested.

I've been "up my dad's bum" since I was 5. He gave me my 55 chevy and now I get to play with tires and wheels all day long. I love it. I race a Nova, have done autocross with my 55. I wouldn't change it for the world. Your always gonna have the haters but most respect you and your car.

My guy and I have one rule, "what's mine is yours, what's yours is mine...except the 55 and his car!"

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Out of the norm maybe but that doesn't mean its wrong. My daughter is now 41 and I still catch Her telling someone about the times she spent in the garage with me when she was a kid....like 3-6 years old. I love the idea. Tim

20. mramc1

mramc1

My ex-girlfriend is into cars a lot and works in the online auto blog-o-sphere. Her house had car parts in it and I helped her build a couple of OT cars that she still has today. Unfortunately she had to move across the country for her job a few years ago. I built my hot rods to meet women into cars and wrenching, but it seems the only people I meet now are 65 yr old dudes!

21. its not "normal" but what is freaking normal? is it cool hell yes its cool especailly when the girl actually knows her shit and isnt posing pretending to be into something to impress somebody

my girl likes cars and going to shows and cruise -ins and stuff but she wont even sit in a chair in the garage while i work on either my cars or either one of hers , i really wish shed atleast keep me company out there

keep it up and dont let anyone try to discourage you and post some pics of your stuff

allways good to see a female greasemonkey

22. Silhouettes57 - The forth picture you posted scares me (how it is jacked up).

23. It's awesom to see that so many of you guys are so proud of your girls. I'm also very proud of my gear head wife of almost 12 years!

24. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

My wife has come a long way over the last 25 years. She hated cars but she figured out if she likes me she better likes cars. Now she has a t bucket and loves it. She doesn't mind coming out to hold something for me but prefers to stay inside. The funny part is last year she blew a hose on the tbucket at a cruise in and she wouldn't let anyone else touch her car. She got in there and fixed herself.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Example # 1: Judy Amandson 1979 she worked with me at JC Penney Auto Center. I helped her get her Smog, Brake and Lamp licenses. Before I met her she had rebuilt the engine in her VW. She could turn wrenches with the best of them.

Example # 2: I taught High School Auto Shop for three years. Continuation schools mostly. The girls were better students. They loved being able to enter the boys world. They were hungry to learn. And they loved to get dirty.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

I just remembered one of my favorite moments. I set up a team challenge when I found out that none of the boys were going to be in class. I think the boys were going to sensitivity training. I had the girls break into two teams and we held a piston wars game. Each team had to remove four pistons from a 350 Pontiac short block I had laying around. Two girls on each team. One team was taking out the pistons. Block on the stand and turned crank side up. The girl on the bottom was catching the pistons as the girl on top tapped them out. All of a sudden she says "this is just like giving birth and catching my sisters baby". I just about split a gut laughing. I have the video tape of this in storage. I had forgotten about it until this forum. Still makes me laugh to this day.
    Dan

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

check out All Girls.Garage on Velocity HGTV.One of them runs a repair shop in AZ and the other 2 are fabrcators

28. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

Where can I find one of these ladys? That would be great-I don't know shit and pretty much wing everytime I'm in the garage.

29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I would consider having a girlfriend or a wife like that a dream come true,
    but then, its back to reality,, i dont think i want my wife in the shop with me, although she did help torque heads down on my 65 back in 86.
    i still look forward to coming back in the house when i am through in the shop. it's always been that way for me,, <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">very</a> few women or girls i've ever known have been very much into cars or engines to the extent that i am, so that is why its out of the norm to see girls like that, at least to me.
    that is not to say i dont love my wife, but it would be different working along side a woman, wonder if the projects would suffer or improve,, hmmm??
    btw, i've been married for 32 yrs