Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wolf Whistle Coupling Nut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steves46, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Got this old Wolf Whistle however it is missing the coupling nut that connects and tightens down the whistle to the piece that screws into the manifold. Checked the local hardware stores but could locate anything that would work. For those who have encountered the same issue, what did you use and where did you find it? The coupling nut as shown in the photo. Appreciate any tips.

Whistle.jpg

2. Figure out what thread it is, and check with McMaster-Carr. If they don't have it, you will need to find a machine shop that will make one for you.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I have the still in the box twin to that one that my dad gave me that he had for who knows how long before he gave it to me. I have no idea what shed or box or drawer it is in though. If I don't have a brain fart and forget completely I'll look where I think it might be.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Had the same problem. I over tightened that nut and broke it. It seemed to have some kind of bastard thread on it when I tried to replace it. I ended up using a pipe fitting reducer and plenty of silicone. Years later I saw a mountable base advertised I believe in Hemmings motor guide that could be used to mount the horn on.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

measured one of mine, its 3/4-16 NF , which is the same as a spindle nut on my old fords. to make one, i would weld a 1/8" pipe fitting onto a long coupling nut like a U bolt nut, then use a brass washer inside for a sealing surface

6. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Thanks guys for the info. Will look for a pipe fitting reducer. Initally I tried JB Weld but discovered it didn't work on pot metal.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't find the twin to that one (yet) did find the Jubilee Wolf whistle that I got at a swap meet a few years ago. !/8 pipe nipple out the bottom to connect to a fitting on the intake on it.
    That makes me think that all you need are the correct fittings to connect yours to your intake. That is going to be a bit different from one engine to another anyhow. IMG_9136 (2).JPG
    In other news in the search for the one I got from my dad I found the box of old slides that I have been hunting for, the pair of spring pads to do the axle swap on my 71 GMC and the flathead motor mounts that I thought were out in the van I have the flathead stored in. Found where I put the old Sunnen cylinder hone with the stones that are course enough to bore a block with too.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. rusty valley

rusty valley

it is not tapered pipe thread on the horn end, straight 3/4- 16 NF

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

A few dimensions of the parts the large thread as said is 3/4 16 and the small thread is 3/8 pipe . image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    rusty valley and kidcampbell71 like this.