Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wives and the cost of our hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, Jan 13, 2012.

1. The only thing my cars cost me is 1700 a month for child support alimony and her car payment! But I can work on my car whenever I want now...don't follow my example.

2. Although my wife could care less about any old cars, she cares a lot about me and is very understanding of my affliction. She also knows that I'm quite frugal and wouldn't buy a project or part unless it was an incredible deal that I couldn't pass up. She understands that the money is still there, you just have to sell it to the next guy (sometimes at a profit) - Unlike a Carribean Cruise, (that money is GONE). She doesn't know about every purchase I make, but isn't blind either - just like I don't know about her shoe purchases etc...

Bottom line, like many have mentioned, I'm not out cattin' around or laying around on the couch drinking beer and smokin "funny" things, so she knows where I'm at. She also has her daily driver replaced occasionally and well cared for at low cost- (parts only) Then there is all the kids cars and my own daily driver - no wonder I never have time for the vintage stuff!

3. I am very lucky, mine almost bullied me into buying my car "Quit talking and dreaming about it and buy it, you are only here once" and "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly" she even acts interested when I show her parts or talk about it. Ok maybe for 10 seconds or so!

Sometimes she might make a negative comment,..I usually reply with something like "You say that now, but when it's finished and we are driving it down the road and it looks amazing,..." she generally looks away and smiles.

I hide nothing, that's why I have the support,..maybe that and she cant wait to take it for a spin.

4. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

As long as the bills are paid, kids are fed and clothed and we have a pretty good slush fund, she doesnt care. Like any smart woman, if u get carried away and spend like a moron, she gets mad.. When she gets testy, I have to remind her that ive NEVER lost a dime on any purchase/resale.... NEVER

5. fluiddrive1949

fluiddrive1949
    from Austin TX

I just bought a 1957 cadillac hearse. My excuse? Going to be something we can both work on. I teach her a few things shes happy we grow closer as a couple but most importantly I get to keep my hearse lol a wife who is excited about cars and actually gets to work on them is not going to complain.......... as much.

6. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Sounds like we all have some supportive wives. She is into it all. Horses, bikes, guns and building cars. Plus she's a incredible cook. I never have to worry about hearing "if you buy that..we won't eat this week"
    She has even picked up parts at car shows for me when I have to work.

7. indyjps

indyjps

The money's not really an issue. Time is the issue. I'd be set if I wanted to build a checkbook rod.

8. We have found taking it one day at a time and spending time with family and friends helps relieve some of the stress. Jeanne has been the district rep. for special olympics for years and has seen the everyday stuggles others face . I think this is what gives her the strength to cope although she gets very weak...The first couple of years were the most difficult and she seems to be adusting to her new life at home...We truely hope the best for you and your family...If you need someone to talk to that knows what you are going through feel free to contact her.......Kelly and Jeanne Long

9. More expensive than a hotrod at $2k each HP:eek:

10. DREW148BHP

DREW148BHP

Hoping the best for your wife Kelly.

My wife is great. I had my shop open for 4.5 years working an extra 20+ hrs on top of my day job which was at least 50+ hrs a weekand she only complained when I hadn't seen my daughter in more than 48hrs. she is really not into cars but she goes to shows and listens to me talk cars without complaining. Both of us lost our jobs in the past year and have taken pay cuts going back to work so I shut the shop down to save money and she has been very supportive. It has been tough. I have everything home and trying to get organized going from 1250 sq ft to 500 SF. She has been very supportive lately while I have been struggling to get my mojo back. I thank god for her every day, she is the best thing that has every happened to me!!!

I just need her to slap me upside the head to get my ass out in the garage!!!

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Never love anything, that can't love you back !

It all comes down to your priorities.

12. sic41

sic41

The wife supports me, she lets me know when to rein it in for a while as to not break the bank. Over all if I want it and it makes sense I get it.

13. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

mine used to get pissy about the money a little but was more so about the time involved, but after we had a talk and she saw what some of her friends hubbies do or spend $ on she is more supportive of me staying home in the garage. also now im putting $ and time into her Nash Metro project and she can see it progressing so she is all about that:D

14. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

I used to race circle track. That makes your car hobby real expensive when it became too much for my wife I got divorced ........................................

Not really it was her boyfriend who sealed the deal.

15. trimph1

trimph1

@1950chevsuburban and yourself..We hope for the best for the both of your families from Audrey and Barry Arnold

16. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

meet a girl, she liked my hobbies.. we got married , then she decided it took to much time and money,,, made a big stink,,,so i gave her enough rope to hang herself, and served her 2 days after christmas,,, cost me about $20000. best money ive ever spent.... now i do what i want when ever i want..im a 42 yo single dad, and happier than ive ever been....

17. Thanks to all our HAMB friends for the kindness and support you have given Jeanne and I for the last couple of years. We look forward to seeing our old friends and meet new ones when our spring vending begins....

18. Jebo

Jebo

single sounds good to me

19. Pluck

Pluck

My wife has always supported me in my effort to get "The Heap" up and running. My two boys have helped me every step of the way, making it the ultimate Father/Sons project. She has been that fourth set of hands when needed,so she's no stranger turning a wrench. I never hide what I spend on it and I make sure the money doesn't come out of the household budget. She does cringe when I go to swap meets (What's he gonna drag home now??). Other than that, she's been a real trooper!
    Pluck

20. amx180mph

amx180mph

My wife of 30 years when we first met walked into my shop and said " You own a lot of stuff with wheels." She new before our first kiss what she was in for. I have had happily slowed down at times to make time for us. Some of best times were spent with the family block sanding many a car. The kids and the wife were always first, my son lost both kidneys and went on dialysis at 2 years old. I sold all most every car and part I had to cover our expenses thank god I had them to sell. He is 27 on his second transplant and the best parts guy in the area. I have made my living as a car guy and my family deeply embraces it.

21. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

if money wasnt an issue with me. I wouldnt work a job 7 days a week. I'd just work on my cars. Time would'nt be an issue at all !!!

22. Abomb

Abomb

I'm sure that my car loves me, you should see the fate that I saved it from...:D

Seriously, although I'd hate to see it all go(2 vehicles, 2 harleys, and parts and tools to go with), I've worked extremely hard to get it, it would all go if my family needed it to go.

My wife is not really into cars much. My 7 year old son is a fanatic, and she does not discourage that. I think, even though it's not really her thing, she understands the value of a good hobby, and she understands that this is a hobby that can pay you back somewhat.

I tell my wife that all this stuff is alot like an emergency fund, without the temptation of cash lying around in an account. The secret is to buy stuff that other people really want, that way, if you ever have to liquidate, you can do it quickly.

23. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

any man worth the SALT IN HIS BISCITS FEELS THE SAME WAY.!!! THE LAST ONE TO GO WOULD BE THE ONE I JUST STARTED ON.

24. jesse1980

jesse1980

i guess im lucky because my wife supports the hobby also. i do have to embezzle funds from the savings every now and then but as long as the bills are payed she doesnt care.

25. boutlaw

boutlaw

My wife is the best, never complains about car stuff. I consider myself very lucky.

BOutlaw

26. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I got my wife involved. She has a 56 mainline and loves it. True It does slow my projects down but I don't mind. Every few months we do something to her car ( buy a part or fix something ) while keeping it a driver. She knows how much I spend , but also knows I make the money wheither by working or selling my leftovers. She's a cool chick.

27. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

My wife supports me all the way as long as the bills are payed kids tuition payed She sometimes thinks I pay more attention to cars because I always have a magazine in my hand it's no that I just don't care to watch teen moms or real house wive of whatever city there in all in all my wife and kids will always come first even if take my years to finish my ride

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

No, I've never looked at her shoe and sporting goods boxes, she out buys me on everything FedEx or UPS delivers.This isn't a 1-800 hobby for me. She likes automotive flea markets, always finds some non automotive thing to bring home. Bob

29. robber

robber

My wife encourages my hobby because she knows that it makes me happy. when I'm happy, she's happy... when shes happy, I'm happy ... its a cycle. She knows that some guys gamble, some guys play golf, shoot pool, whatever. I do cars and being a resourceful car guy, she knows that I will get the biggest bang for the buck that I can ... I don't have to hide what I am doing. She's happy if I am in the garage doing what I love and thats OK with me. My garage is my sanctuary. She can have the rest of the house!;)

30. Do like I do (did) ,have some of your car purchases billed out as "Shrubbery" , worked out good til she asked me .. ".. what kinda junkyard sells shrubbery..???"

Other than that ,she has put up with my crap for the last 23 yrs...
    Stan