Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Linsdonkey

Linsdonkey

Hi all I’m in the UK,
    Well last October I fulfilled a childhood dream by buying my first American Classic Car.
    The car is a 1962 Mercury Monterey, everything checked out when I viewed the car but you know how it is those rose tinted glasses , the sound of the V8 the whole look of the car
    And cash burning a hole in my pocket!! I had looked at other cars but this was the best I had seen , so the drive home was cool and exciting , then the little niggles started, no brake lights!! No washer bottle!! Then the slipping Mercury O Matic Transmission. So I have had it looked at and it seems despite the bands being adjusted it loses pressure when moved from Park to Drive hence the slipping... Problem is getting it fixed!! It’s been stuck at the
    Garage for 2 months while we try and source a solution...can I buy a recon box in the states ?? Is there an option to change to a C4 box?? Where do I get the adaptor plate-if there is one?? Right now my American car adventure is in the dirt and I don’t know where to go for advice. Any help guys would be grateful..Regards Lin

rbrewer likes this.
  2. dudley32

dudley32

Welcome to the HAMB....this would get a lot more mileage if you would repost it on the main page...regards

rbrewer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Welcome from a Limey in Detroit

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

rbrewer likes this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Thought I would add that if there was a street named Wits End likely all of us would be neighbors. Similar to the saying "You're driving me crazy". Well on my part it would not take a half dollars worth of gas to get me there. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Jimmie

rbrewer likes this.

5. Linsdonkey

Linsdonkey

Thanks for your input guys, the garage has dropped the Transmission and it seems the 2nd drive clutches are gone, the bands are Ok , so they have ordered a rebuild kit as you guys advised and I should get her back in early May. Don't know about the states at the moment , but here all of the main shows have been cancelled up to August So far.
    My local club are waiting on the lifting of the lock down to see what sort of get togethers
    We will be able to have in the near future. It seems likely that bars and Restaurants will be the last to open due to social distancing so our usual meets at a local bar will be later in the year . At least we might be able to meet at a parking lot then go for a cruise.
    Take care guys and stay safe

lothiandon1940 likes this.