Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods With the cold come signs of old age...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Nov 21, 2019.

1. With cold damp weather here in NC ,it was 42 degrees this morning o_O, so I've noticed that my '47 has been a little grumpy in the mornings and her joints have started squeaking, the signs of old age I guess, she's only a young 72 yrs old. So I guess in the winter I'll change her name to "Old Squeaky". Anybody else who drive their rides a lot like I do, which is everyday, notice any quirks with them when the weather changes? :) BigO

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Carbureted engines love the occasional cold weather snaps here in South Florida.

3. topher5150

topher5150

That's shorts weather up here. My in-laws live in NC, my mother-in-law originally form Michigan, and I always get a kick out of hearing about their "cold weather"

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

At my house I'm Old Squeaky at 61.... lol

5. I hear you, I'm 60...

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Stop it you guy's,I have shoes that are that old.Every day above ground is a blessing,don't waste them.

7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Southern Ontario. Here we say if you don't like the weather wait ten minutes it will change. A lot of leaves are still on the trees even though we already had our first major snow over a week ago. Kids make snowmen that are made up of half dead leaves and half snow. I only start mine and take it for a short run on a dry day but I get where your coming from as there's more creaking and squeaking in the winter months.

loudbang and BigO like this.
  8. Young whippersnappers!

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in central Minnesota (now on the way to Florida); about a month ago, I had my '51 Ford at my place when it got down to 28. I had a hell of a time getting it started that morning (even with a new 6 volt Optima), but finally got it to "catch". My neighbor was listening, and we both agree the starter needs attention.

So I put it away for the winter.

loudbang, BigO and Truck64 like this.
  10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Agreed ,60 is when I started falling apart....

11. You want to see Weather go Crazy Live in the Mountains of
    New York State, one day its 40 & the next day its 23 &
    the
    Next day Its Snowing, than it clears up & you have Sun for
    aday or too

Just my 3.5 cents

I thought you were talking about you Self.
    I am 85 and still not Squeaking.!
    10/30 Castrol

Live Learn & Die a Fool

loudbang, raven, BigO and 1 other person like this.
  12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Am 65 and have good days and not so good ones... When the temps get down there my knees start to seize up! Hell we can't be on the planet this long and have done some of the shit we have done to ourselves and not expect some impact of some sort. We are after all mere mortals!;)

loudbang, 56premiere and BigO like this.
  13. 34Larry

34Larry

Wait till you get 80. I'd settle for just squeaky any day! Rusty joints with out zerks just ain't cutt'n it any more. :eek:

14. If you're talking about hearing actual squeaks and groans (from your car) when the weather gets colder, head to the NAPA store or somewhere similar, and get a spray can of silicone lube. Then spray down all the rubber bushings in the suspension and steering linkage as well as any body mount cushions. Don't be stingy, soak 'em good. Weatherstripping can be noisy as well sometimes. You might want to put a little spritz of silicone around any door, hood or trunk w/strips. It may take a couple days to soak in good but it may quiet some of the squawking and groaning. From your car. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Thor1 and BigO like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Whatever she sez, it's true!!!!!.....

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and BigO like this.
  16. Add a touch of arthritis to cold and wet and you really feel stiff. I haven't been to a doctor in 7 years. Only went then to get the required Health Card because I was Driving truck. I take Gluclosemine Condroition with my meals. and sometimes take a Bayer Back & Body Ache Asprin.

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I can't hear any squeaks or rattles on my 47 buick. The exhaust drowns them out. Lippy:D

loudbang, raven and BigO like this.
  18. Hahaha :D !!!!

19. You must be living right .:):D

20. Hmmmmmm. Cold is relative We already had a 3 below morning. Talking way upstate ny, within spitting distance of the Canadian border....six inches of snow on the ground right now, but 41 degrees so it's all sloppy shit ta' boot.............It'll just be a distant memory in about six months (that week that summer happens).

swade41 and loudbang like this.
  21. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At this age, it’s not the squeaky, but the leaky that bothers me!

Hnstray, LOST ANGEL, Chicster and 6 others like this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I take arthritis strength BC powders, one every morning, one before bedtime. Helps with the aching joints.

As to the old vehicles squeaking and stiff, I thought that was just normal for being old. Grease gets harder in colder temps, so does rubber. My wife's 2000 Expedition had a suspension squeak I never could find, rebuilt front end, new shocks all around, etc. Just had to live with it until it got totaled out....

loudbang likes this.
  23. LAROKE

LAROKE

Don't ever let your Doc talk you into a leak down test.

24. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My shoes don't last that long and I buy them new, I'm to busy being old and squeaky.:)

loudbang likes this.
  25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Last time I had my Delivery out, it was "cold/wet weather", and I killed the rear-end in it (100% my fault!!!). So, It no longer comes out in cold weather, and has't been out of the garage in over 3 years now (insurance issues due to my wife's at-fault accident). Me however, NINE spinal surgeries, and I'm fused from C/4 through T/2, and L/2 through to my sacrum. With all the hardware implanted, and the substantial bone grafting, it all acts like a magnet for the cold/wet, and I feel it!!! My favorite time of the year is no longer my favorite time of the year. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. A few years ago I helped a buddy of mine assemble a frame for his rod. We got this stuff from napa called sil-glyde.
    We put it on all the rubber parts before assembly... the stuff wont melt, freeze, gum up or run off from -20 to +400 deg.
    No squeaking or groaning in weather from 17 to 110 degrees...
    IMAG0026.jpg

ClayMart, Hnstray, WB69 and 2 others like this.
  27. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I have a friend who lives well in Mexico !!

28. Yes all those broken bones from Horse Wrecks and such we shrugged off when they happened come back to haunt you in old age. My wife was feeding cows thirty years ago. there was a little dog that came along. A young hefer had just dropped her first calf. And that dog got too close and that hefer charged the dog. The dog took refuge between debbies legs. and that hefer butted her in the hip and got her down . She had bad bruses and limped for a week or two. Debbie forgot all about it. Then last year the pain in her hip became unbearable. So she got a hip replacement . And it was a crack in the hip socket that grew spurs and arthritis. same hip that cow brused up. The other hip is in great cond.

29. Im too deaf to hear any squeakes and rattles from a vehicle or my body.

30. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^I know all too well about those sorts of issues after 32 years in healthcare as an X-Ray/CAT Scan Tech^^^^!!! Knew an E.R. Clerk, who got married, and had FOUR kids in a very short period of time (get a hobby lady!). Then, her late 30's husband, had to have BOTH hips replaced with prosthetics. Everyone kidded her about her wearing him out. We now outlive our "parts"; reminds me of a joke about God and his "engineering" abilities.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.