Register now to get rid of these ads!

With california regulations. Any legal GOOD rust cleaners left?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Sep 30, 2010.

1. My quarter panels need to be cleaned with rust cleaner and shot with primer. They r completely bare at the moment, besides a little surface rust. Only prob. is that my teacher says that he only has a teenie bit left of the du-pont stinky rust cleaner.:eek: Im trying to avoid using rust-mort or anything like that unless its my last resort. What do shops use these days in california with all the new waterbourne laws?

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Try Evap-O-Rust. It's enviro friendly, easy to use and works great. Harbor Frieght carries it.

3. Evapo rust? Can u paint right over it? do u need to clean it off before u paint?gotta check that shit out. Have u used it before 40coupe?

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Use it all the time, rinse with water then spray on Rust-Block if you aren't going to paint right away.

5. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

waterborne laws? whats that? theres nothing in the paint laws that state waterborne this or that.

to clean rust, use some rust mort. if its surface rust that u can sand, i would da it with 80 grit. if u must use a product, use the mort, u can use it with a scuff pad and rinse it off, dry it, then sand the residue off (thats if its not bad) if not, u have to follow the regular rules, which will take about a day to pull off.

6. x2 for Evapo-Rust. Similarly you can use wood bleach.

7. x3 on evaporust.. theres only one catch for evaporust... the rusty area has to be completely submerged in the solution for it to work... and its somewhat expensive.. however it can be reused many times

8. Completely submerged? how am i gonna do that? Its the whole back end.

9. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

I've seen a guy wrap his quarter panel in a bedsheet, and use a fish tank pump to spray and recirculate a few gallons of evaporust onto the quarter panel, soaking the bedsheet that was flat against the panel. The bedsheet stayed soaked with evaporust, while he gathered up the run off into a basin, only to end up sprayed back onto the quarter again. It was genius, his panel was bare steel by the next day. He did his doors the same way.

10. that sounds like a great idea but i might b a little limited on doin something like that since im in a school shop. thank u though. would it be wise to just put a wet sheet over the back end, let it rust a bit and use rust-mort? Im not crazy about the stuff but thats because of a stupid mistake i made. It also seems that nobody has really recommended any automotive rust cleaners. Like the stinky one du-pont made that turns ur hands blue. I used the du-pont stuff and havnt had any problems yet. i dunno.

11. Warrenator

Warrenator

You can still buy Klean-Strip Prep & Etch at the Home Depot in California, it is a phosphoric acid based rust converter, use it diluted 3 to 1 and spread it on and scrub it in for 15 minutes with a scotch brite pad, then rinse with water. Wear gloves, of course, keep it away from any metal seams you don't want it to get trapped and not be able to get it out.

I also have bought Picklex 20 via mail order in California.

12. ok, hit each spot with it for 15 min with a scotchbrite. Gonna give it a shot