Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wishbone Flip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sivarti, Jan 22, 2014.

1. sivarti

sivarti
    from Spokane

Axle and wishbone is a 35 for heavy truck. Once I split the bones is it possible to flip and swap the bones side to side to lower it? It seems between that and reversing the spring eyes there is room to drop the front. I've been eyeballing it while I disassemble the truck and I want to use as much of it as possible. The axle itself on the heavy truck seems to have a factory drop compared to pics I've seen on the site of cars and light trucks.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390435532.373258.jpg

2. doctorZ

doctorZ

3. Isnt the welded seam on the bottom?

4. sivarti

sivarti
    from Spokane

Good question, I have no idea although it makes sense. Like most of us I have more time to think, wonder and research about stuff than actually work on it.

5. Won't the shackles crash into the hangers when they are upside down ?
    Maybe I need to think about that some more

6. Doesn't the wishbone control the caster? If you flip the wishbone your caster goes out the window

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

yup.

yup.

8. metal man

metal man

You just need to get yourself a lighter reversed eye spring and you'll probably be set. That axle does appear to have more drop than a passenger car axle. What does the front crossmember look like? Is it deeper than a passenger car crossmember?

9. sivarti

sivarti
    from Spokane

I agree with the lighter spring and flipped eyes. I was eyeballing the perches cast into the bones and started thinking about flipping them. Makes sense on the castor though I've read where people pie cut and weld to adjust for that. Here is a pic of the crossmember. I will do some searching and see what a lighter vehicle looks like.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390446024.577263.jpg

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Are you building a heavy truck OR a light duty pickup/flatbed from a big truck. There are no modern brakes etc. for those big spindles and the weight difference is WOW!

11. sivarti

sivarti
    from Spokane

I've read where a guy took mid 70's to late 90's for f350 knuckles, rotors... everything and reamed the 35 axle to fit the new king pins. Mainly I'm trying to figure out how much useable stuff I have. I started a build thread but figured this was a little OT for it. I've searched so much over the last month I'm getting overloaded and decided to start posting some questions to help me stay in track. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

12. sivarti

sivarti
    from Spokane

Sorry. I plan on it being a light truck but am using a cummins 4bt to power it. About 700 pounds.

13. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you flipp'em, you gotta cut'em...and weld'em back together,
    or your caster is going way negative.
    Flip the front part and leave the ugly seam on the bottom.

T

14. adam401

adam401

you're splitting the wishbone anyway as stated in the op so adjusting the caster is an easy non issue. Just buff the wishbone weld out. Mock it up with your idea. None of this stuff is that difficult once your elbows deep in it.

You could also do a reverse eye spring or flatten the crossmember a little. Good luck

15. sivarti

sivarti
    from Spokane

Thanks for the help. Copy that Adam, good advice.