Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wish Bones versus Radius Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burninbilly, Apr 5, 2010.

1. burninbilly

burninbilly

Iam looking for some advise on my build which is a 28 model a tudor sedan.Pros and cons on radius rods verses split wish bones,which wish bones are prefered if used etc,come on guys confuse me more.

I am undecided and really want to learn more on this??????

2. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Both will do same job just as good. all depends on the look you want.....

3. burninbilly

burninbilly

any special years prefered in wishbones or ones to stay away from
    thanks

4. burninbilly

burninbilly

5. Teep

Teep
    BANNED
    from Travis AFB

32 wishbones are the longest, so they will clear an oilpan better. personally i think wishbones are better because they triangulate the front suspension and make it more stable.

6. burninbilly

burninbilly

are some made of thinner material

7. Teep

Teep
    BANNED
    from Travis AFB

no they are all the same. what is your motor/trans and trans mount going to be?

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

32/34 front bones have the nostalgia look but present their own problems with steering arms depending on front spring and crossmember which dictates where you put the tierod and how you bend the spindle arms. On most hairpins the stock 37/40 spindle arm lets the tierod pass thru the middle of the hairpins.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  9. nutajunka

nutajunka

tube axle or I-beam?

10. burninbilly

burninbilly

My engine is a 302 with a 4 speed manual trans

11. burninbilly

burninbilly

Axle is a dropped 4 inch

12. Model A bones are shorter than others.

13. pitman

pitman

The wishbones are cleaner looking, the issue of passing a tierod thru is worth working out, then you've got it right.
    You might want to look into whether to run split or traditional bones, ala Ford w/ctr mount.

14. burninbilly

burninbilly

i was thinking of split,attached to frame,doesnt it weaken them when people drill the holes threw them?

15. Greezy

Greezy

Nothing wrong with splitting, drilling A bones. With the dropped axle and dropped arms you can run the tie rod over the wishbone.

Attached Files:

16. pitman

pitman

Originally, unsplit, they would pivot around the commmon center. when split, one example worth visualizing, is to drive over a speed bump at 45 degrees (cross it diagonally), the I-beam then twists, which isn't the end of the world, just worth considering how you'll drive it. BYW, folks often bush the drilled holes w/tube (dom or similar)

17. burninbilly

burninbilly

i see , thanks pitman,the newbie is sweeping floors and listening,to the ol guys who have done it

18. burninbilly

burninbilly

Looking to see more setups if there out there,does it make a diff,if there attached to the side of the frame,(wishbones) or radius rods,

19. burninbilly

burninbilly

What does it effect attaching to frame as opossed to hanging under frame on a tab

20. 117harv

117harv

They work fine hanging below the frame as well as in the middle. They are a bit more cosmetic when attached to the frame directly as opposed to a bracket hanging down, but sometimes it needs to to work with a particular frame/ride height.

21. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Hair-pins allow you to adjust caster with a wrench. Bones require more signifigant measures. Proper geometry is crucial in either case.

22. burninbilly

burninbilly

Harv thanks alot

23. pitman

pitman

Second consideration worth looking at, is the tie rod style mount vs. a captive bushing style. If they're split wishbones, I'd want a spherical-free-to-rotate type, so no binding when one side rises while the other bone falls.

24. nutajunka

nutajunka

Plus I-beams are more forgiving than a tube axle in a twist situation.

25. I think he is looking for advise on SPLIT wishbones though.

As fas as whether the mounts are under the frame on through the frame it is cosmetic. Just make sure that you have all that figured out when you pie cut and weld the wishbone to get the caster right. The higher the rear mount the larger the pie cut section.

26. burninbilly

burninbilly

Oh boy,now im a confused newb,shakin me head,could u explain this more to me sorry for sounding like i know shit but im learning

27. burninbilly

burninbilly

28. F&J

F&J

Nobody mentioned checking for tire rub on the bones at full turns before attaching the ends to the frame. Tuck the bones under the car as much as you can to be able to do full turns.

You can have a plate hanging down on the inside of the framerail, and have the rod end on the backside of that plate. That gets the bone further under the car...and yes it was done by some builders back in the day.

29. pitman

pitman

Just refering to the mount configuration. A bushing may flex but does not pivot, the way a tierod end or spherical rod end does.

30. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

you've got two things to think about with your mounting position. the caster angle of the front axle is probably the most important. it should be 5-7 degrees at ride height and the mounting location of the wishbones will directly effect this angle.

second thing to think about is your steering geometry. I forget the exact term for it but if you are using a drag link type steering, (F1, F100, cowl steering,stock type early ford etc) you need to make sure the line from the drag link intersects with the wishbone mount. I believe speedway has the diagram in their catalog somewhere.

[​IMG]

here's a pretty good article on the complete subject of solid axle front ends:
    http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com...olid_axle_front_suspension_details/index.html