Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wisconsin Y.O.M. Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Jun 22, 2018.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I am trying to get YOM plates for my 1937 truck. I have been to 2 different DMV,s in Eau Claire WI. Both places, had no clue and what I was talking about. They tried to look up info for me but found nothing. Does WI have a YOM plate option? I thought that I read it somewhere that they did, but I could be wrong. If you have any info on this please let me know.
    Tony

2. BJR

BJR

From the Wisc DMV site.
    A person who registers a Collector motor vehicle that was manufactured before 1979 may display a historical plate from or representing the model year of the vehicle when driving to or from a car show, or during a parade, if the registration and plates issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) are simultaneously carried in or, with the vehicle and are available for inspection by law enforcement, upon request.

3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Can you post a link to that?

4. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Thanks Curt r but I am looking for the part that says I car run a yom plate, not just a collector.
    Tony

5. I heard they were working on that but it has not passed yet. I always rode my antique bikes with Yom plates. The current plate was places back to back with the old one. They were both bolted to the bikes. I never had a problem. There is a car show some were every day. I would say I'm going to one of those. As long as you are not doing some thing stupid they will leave you alone.

6. follow the link to the Collector page and read the following part of the official Wisconsin DMV link page, shown below, especially the part shown in red. My interpretation is that WISDMV is publicly stating it's ok to display a YOM plate providing certain requirements are met. I would have expected that one would accept WISDMV stating that its ok to run YOM plate. If that isn't what you are looking for, you can do a search thru the Wisconsin legislative Act that approved displaying a YOM plate. Also, WISDMV states that you must have a current Collector plate to officially run the YOM plate also, stated in the below info. There was a reason why you were referred to the Collector page.

Vehicles that qualify ► All motor vehicles 20 years or older that the body has not been altered from the original. For a list of modification, go to: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/ collector-plates.aspx. ► Four former military vehicles (even if altered or modified): » GMC DUKW truck models, at least 25 years old. » Humvee, military version, at least 22 years old. » Kaiser Jeep M-715, at least 25 years old. » Pinzgauer, at least 25 years old. Vehicles that have a body that has been altered from the original do not qualify for Collector plates. Refer to form MV2388 Hobbyist Registration Application on the Internet: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/ hobbyist.aspx Things you should know To qualify for Collector plates, you must own or lease at least one other motor vehicle for regular transportation with current, valid registration in Wisconsin under the same name(s) as the Collector vehicle. Complete section C. Collector plates are non-expiring for as long as you own the collector vehicle. Vehicles with Collector plates cannot be operated during the month of January unless a special temporary plate is purchased (form MV2750). A person who registers a Collector motor vehicle that was manufactured before 1979 may display a historical plate from or representing the model year of the vehicle when driving to or from a car show, or during a parade, if the registration and plates issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) are simultaneously carried in or, with the vehicle and are available for inspection by law enforcement, upon request.

Curt R

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  7. the official Wisconsin Act that approved the display of YOM license plates took effect July1, 2014. You must have an Antique or Collector plate registration to officially display a YOM plate.

Curt R

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  8. It's good to know our elected officials are getting some thing done.

9. J53

J53
    from WI

Well, it’s a step in the right direction anyway. I got myself a set of YOM plates, then after making sure that number wasn’t being used (you can do that on DMV website), got regular vanity plates to match. I’ll run the YOM’s, keep the real ones in the trunk, and hope the cop is in a good mood.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

You can always say you are on your way to a photo shoot, that usually seems to satisfy them -- but keep the collector plates in the trunk or under the seat.