Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wisconsin anti old vehicle legislation pending

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Yup, what yellow wagon said.

Max

2. Any email address yet?

Max

3. 10:30pm Wednesday night. For Wisc residents. If, you are in opposition to ch. TRANS 123, you can send your statement of opposition to
    [email protected] or [email protected]
    there seems to be some question as to the accuracy of Mr. Nilsen's email address. It's too late to call them, I will call Thur am.
    Regarding the emails, keep them brief and on point. A lot of "not in favor of ch. TRANS 123" emails will be more effective than a rant, u f*****g idiots, what's wrong with u? kinda emails. Cc ing your email to your Wis state rep is good idea, too. Get the emails to Mr. Nilsen before 1pm, July 31, 2009.
    I don't know how to do the magic email address linky thing, if any body wants to do that with Mr. Nilsens email address, do it. It looks like it just happens, magic!!
    I will start a new updated post on Thur. with more info about the meeting, the proposal and our plans.
    Thanks everybody.

4. jonnycola

jonnycola

[email protected] came up as a dead email, so I assume the other one must be correct.

5. As a new resident of Wisconsin, I just sent my very diplomatic email. Please PM me if you would like a copy, if inspiration is needed. :D

Thanks for the email address!!

6. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

.Thats Total B.S>!! Wish I could voice my opinion directly to a Legislator, wouldn't do much good since I don't live there anymore. Can't believe their stupidity.

Michael

7. Swifster

Swifster

The REAL big problem with this bill is the state holding all vehicles built before 1968 to the rules of 1966. This means if your '32 Ford was built to 1950's rules, it wouldn't be good enough in the eyes of the state. Every state I know of has had seat belt exemptions for any vehicle built before Jan. 1, 1965. That would go out the window. Don't have a colapsable steering column, sorry we won't register your car. Your flathead doesn't meet emissions...

This is a very slippery slope.

8. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Sorry that I couldn't make the meeting, but I did just send my email to Mr. Nilsen.
    Thanks to everybody working on this...please keep us posted....

9. Mark,

we DO NOT want to direct them to 305!! 305 is fine!!!

the focus must be on TRANS 123!! All emails must refer to TRANS 123!!

THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH 305!!! In emails, letters etc. to DOT, don't even mention, discuss, ask or refer to 305. It confuses the 123 issue and then DOT deflects their reply to address your 305 concerns and ignore TRANS 123.

10. jonny,

thanks for that info. Did the other email address work?

11. Yup, the other address is OK. In fact I received a reply to my email this morning from Mr. Nilsen stating that we shouldn't be worried at all as this bill won't affect our old cars and trucks. Why don't I believe him?:rolleyes:

Max

12. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

I emailed him too. Has anybody thought about the next step and contacting John Steinbrink (the head of the transportation committee in the state legislator??? Or is it to early for that?

13. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

I hope like hell this does not pass, if it does more states will hop on the wagon and it will be all down hill from there. Good luck to you guys in getting this thing killed.

14. jonnycola

jonnycola

Yep, worked fine for me.

15. That's great! Now tell him that you oppose TRANS 123, because of the non specific wording and lack of definition about what vehicles that they wish to selectively refuse registration.

We need opposition to TRANS 123, not questions, if this will affect old cars? It will affect all cars, by their wording.

16. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

I talked to my rep, Mary Williams, and she said there was nothing to worry about, that she had talked directly to Mr. Nilsen, and he told her that this has nothing to do with "old cars".

I then replied to my rep, Mary Williams, that it doesn't specifically identify old cars as being exempt from trans 123, and that's the concern. I said that the intent of the law isn't even clear, and we have no idea who it is targeting, but the wording is so vague, that it could be used to target anything pre-'68. She said she would watch the progression of this bill with a close eye.

17. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

so is the military vehicles the cause of this legislation??

18. I also got the form letter reply:

Dear Mr. or Ms. McCabe,
    Thanks for your comment. There may be a lot of misunderstanding about the rule. The rule does not affect cars originally made for the US on-road market, and no cars made before 1968. It will affect only vehicles made from 1968-1984 for the non-US market. What type of hobbyist vehicle do you drive?
    --Paul

I replied with what you said above before I even read your post this morning. The wording is EXACTLY what we are worried about! I also mentioned that I do own a vehicle, not produced for the US Market, that would be affected by this legislation. It is in NO WAY a military vehicle as the so called propostion is "intended" for.

Assuming is the same as Intentions in Mr. Nilsen's case...................... And we all know that ASSUME makes as A$$ of U and ME.

-Star

19. I would cease any furthur communication with DOT, concerning personal vehicle info, especially now that they know about an import vehicle which, is one of the types of vehicles that TRANS 123 is directed at.

PEOPLE, keep your emails and any other communication on point, TRANS 123. It is not necessary to tell them the type, year or any other personal vehicle info. Do you think that Mr Nilsen or DOT will look to protect your special vehicle because it is special to you? They don't need any more info than the fact that you are opposed to TRANS 123 and why.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  20. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

Email sent....

COME ON EVERYONE, LET'S MAKE SURE THIS GETS THROWN OUT!!!

21. Don't Worry Curt!! I never give any government official ANY type of accurate pertinent information. ;) That would officially have me disowned in my hell raising family!!! :cool::eek:

22. Short and sweet one sent!

Dear Mr. Nilsen

I am strongly opposed to Chapter 123...!

Simply put... the vehicles in this proposal are not clearly "defined" and could easily be misconstrued into many other categories in the Department of Transportation.

I would like to see a resoloution be found for said "Motor Vehicles" so they can be Titled and licensed legally in the State of Wisconsin for business as well as personal use... However... Chapter 123 doesn't offer any solution in its present form...

I hope that there can be a mutual agreement between the "TAX Payors" of Wisconsin and the people that we employ in our Government to Represent us with the greatest integrity!

Sincerely

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009

23. Thanks Wingnutz, I copied your text directly and sent it as an email from me to

[email protected]

Anyone that is concerned about keeping their old cars needs to email Mr. Nilsen before the deadline of Friday July 30th at 1PM CST.

24. hopefully you used the spell check...Mark's never been known for his spelling....hahaha...

Just messing with ya buddy. Cool idea about putting the form letter out there.

25. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

my e mail has been sent.....

26. v8ford

v8ford
    BANNED

I do not live in WI but I sent emails in my opposition of this!

27. t5stang91

t5stang91

did anyone go the 29th? whats the word ? gonna go get plates for my car now so i hopefully fly under the radar

28. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

29. this in only proposed legislation not law

30. IMPORTANT!!!
    he DOES NOT have to respond to any or all of the emails. We, as the public can make COMMENTS thru email or snail mail. At this point in the legislative process, it is not open to debate or a question and answer forum. Possibly, later.

He gets the idea that, many Wisconsin residents are opposed to Trans 123.

Phone calls, to Mr. Nilsen, may be counter productive. Call your representative to the State of Wisconsin legislature.

I HAVE STARTED A NEW "UPDATE" ON THE HEARING THREAD, GO THERE FOR CURRENT INFO

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009