Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mopar362000, Dec 26, 2014.

1. mopar362000

mopar362000

need ideas on running wires through firewall on 1936 Plymouth . thanks Jimmie King

2. Lets see your ride!

3. 55willys

55willys

Use a rubber grommet so you don't end up cutting a wire and grounding it out burning up your wiring harness and maybe your car.
    Jim Ford

4. rubber grommets are your best friend for wiring. Most part stores have assortments. Other choices available from vendors that allow you to enhance the routing for looks or whatever.

5. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500666/overview/
    Anytime you pass a wire thru steel you need a grommet, or a bulkhead connector. Consequently , this is the most likely location of future problems. You may often wonder why the ugly thing comes thru in such a visible location, so it's accessible for repairs and inspection.

6. mopar362000

mopar362000

55 Dude do not know how to post pics.36 ply coupe small block mopar 904 trans 8.8 explorer 3.55 gear.mustang ii front control arms manual r&p.leaf springs on rear with slider similar to what I used on my dirt cars 40yrs ago.Was looking ideas other than grommet.Been wiring semis for yrs .thanks Jimmie King

7. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

8. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Seems like I remember pictures in the old car magazines of guys using gutted out valve stems as grommets.

Blue

10. 36 Vette

36 Vette

PICT1992.JPG Bulkhead Connector from a 70s Ford Pickup. Be sure to get at least a foot of wire on either side, or, you can strip all the old wires and just use the connector and its terminal setup. The latter is a real pain in the ass but it looks right. You probably won't use all of the possible wires but if you take some or all of the factory wires out save those little metal terminal pieces. Also make your self a tool to release the wires from the connector. The wire terminal holes are numbered on both sides. Be sure you write down what wire for what circuit went in each hole for trouble shooting later on.

11. Here is a link to a wiring group that is part of the Hoffman Auto group that I would not buy from normally (past warranty issues with some of their products)but their wiring division has some interesting bulkhead fittings for reference FWIW

http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/catalog/Wire-Management

12. kma4444

kma4444

13. 55willys

55willys

Check out Waytek This is where I get all the good stuff that I wire cars at work with. They have quality stuff and good descriptions of what it is. http://www.waytekwire.com/products/

14. alv

alv
    from jackson,NJ

run the wires in the kick panel and out the bottom so you don't have to make holes in the firewall