Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonesi, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Jonesi

Jonesi

Hi,

do I need a voltage regulator when using a 3-wire alternator?
    Or is everything directly connected, like coil and so on?
    I just need quick basic information as the wiring in my car seems a bit odd.
    The alternator is on the photo, I can upload more later.
    There is something that should be a voltage regulator in the car. But as I look on wiring diagrams online it might be that I don't need a regulator?!

Thanks for help! IMG_1009.jpeg

2. brading

brading

No external regulator is required as the alternator has one built in.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Jonesi

Jonesi

Thanks! I've been a bit uncertain, helped me a lot!

4. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

The Alternator may or may not have an internal regulator, depends on the type of alternator.
    You would need to check your alternator.

5. Jonesi

Jonesi

OK, but I can check it if DC or AC is coming out by multimeter :) ... then I know. Thanks

6. The alternator pictured looks like a GM unit with an internal regulator.

7. Anything around '73 and up is internally regulated. Maybe '72 was the GM cut in date. The bigger plug is a tip off.

You really should have a plug instead of the 2 wires like that, plus the one with the splices gives me the heebies.

8. 24riverview

24riverview

Splices are probably hiding the diode which keeps it from back feeding the ignition circuit.

bobss396 likes this.
  9. Ahhhhh. Mine has no diode... everything seems to work ok.

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I too saw several things I don’t like about that wiring set up. Extra unnecessary splices and getting the voltage signal right off the back of the alternator. While it will work, it is better to get your voltage signal direct from the battery. It changes the charging rate of the alternator wiring it from the alternator post to the battery post, somewhat.

Bones

Black_Sheep and trollst like this.
  11. Bones, thanks for mentioning the positioning of the voltage sensing wire on the regulator. I've been (without anyone paying attention I might add :) ) trying to explain why this could make a difference for quite a while now. Everyone just says it's working fine the way it is and doesn't seem to care. :confused:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It will work. I’ve seen it work many times. If you drive long distance a lot, it will work just fine. But if you just hop around town with accessories on and make a bunch of stops, you might need battery cables! Most folks don’t understand that there are different voltages in a 12 volt car electrical system. And don’t understand just what a battery does or how it works. I’ve quit trying to explain things to people that don’t want to learn. I’m a happier camper now! Lol

Bones

Center of the Galaxie likes this.
  13. Square plug horizontal blades = External

Rectangular plug vertical blades = Internal

External regulated:

[​IMG]
    Internal regulated:

[​IMG]

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

15. Jonesi

Jonesi

I tested it and it’s an internally regulated one.
    Also it should work fine.
    So I can get rid of the regulator anyone build in anytime.
    The wiring is really bad done, really not German like, but they’ve been Germans. ^^

7A94F3B1-F2C8-4361-B438-C1590EBFB6AE.jpeg 0A077926-A844-48F1-9C8B-E6C0272FDB3E.jpeg B3CD1696-5A9A-405E-A317-2763919A637A.jpeg

16. Jonesi

Jonesi

Haha, I'm an idiot, that's a relay (last post, last picture). Never saw something like that.
    Super, I think I'm fine.
    Just got a new coil and a unilite module.
    I'm waiting for the Mallory circuit guard hanging in Amsterdam Customs, then I hopefully can drive again.
    Thank you guys!