Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring Suggestions? Shoebox Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkey, Oct 14, 2008.

1. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Alright, alright...I know there are numerous QUALITY vendors here and many other places I can go to do research... I am also fully aware that this question reviving itself every couple of weeks can literally drive the dead into a comatose state, but I think It's time to swallow the jagged little pill that IS truth...

I have come to terms with my reluctancy and am in desperate need to purchase a quality rewiring kit for a 1954 Ford.

Again, I know there are numerous vendors, but what I also need is feedback regarding installation, instructions additonal parts I should plan for, etc....Hope to hear mostly from those with similar shoebox rigs...

Thank you all in advance.

2. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Lots of variables here, are you keeping the 6 volt system with generator, or are you swapping out to a later engine / different type / 12 volt system? If you want a kit, theyre available for most any application, but you can build your own, lots of folks prefer to do that.

3. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Left the original 6, 223...I dig the engine, great torque for a cruiser. I recently went the route of changing the 6volt to 12 New batt, solenoid, upped the generator to 12 volt, switched all the bulbs, etc. Need to either invest in oltage reducers for gauges or upgrade gauges to 12 volt, could even install aftermarket gauges for now...

Problem is, when my old man and I re-did the wiring 15 years ago, we (chalk it up to inexperience, and an eager teen) opted to cast effective. Unfortunately, This led to sam color wiring and a mess under the dash.

I recently went behind him and cleaned up and some of the old wiring, and most everything worked out fine...Headlights, check...no turn signals, no brake lights, and when applied pressure to the brakes, the frickin turn signal went on. So I know the crossed problem is there, with the turn signl and brakes...

Well, I've gotten back under the dash and have begun to hate life again. I'm just looking into my options to get the wiring done right.

And again, all suggestion and assistance is appreciated.

4. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

I've used American Autowire Highway series kits in my last couple of projects and they seem to be logical and well-made. Colored wire with printed function is common now, and a big help. Good luck with your project.

5. Runtz makes voltage reducers for your gauges, one is required for each gauge. A lot of people go to Napa and buy a CVR1 but I have noticed that several times when checking them that they are passing 12 volts. Use any wiring harness except EZ-wire. I put one in my son's '58 Chevy pickup in 2004 and have had to replace parts of it already. The horn relay was hooked up backward from the factory and I am having problems with the connections at the ignition switch. I have already located a new harness from another company and will be changing it out this winter. Saved a few bucks back in '94 only to spend even more in '08. EZ-wire... never again in my cars!