Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring questions??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studeillac, Nov 10, 2008.

1. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

hey guys, been doin some research on wiring harnesses for my 52 studebaker. i would have liked to keep it a 6 volt but there are way to many cut wires under the hood and dash that i have no choice but to go with a 12 volt (trying to save as many funds as possible). i plan on using the original gauges as they are way to good looking to change, plus i found a great article about a way to keep them while using the 12 volt system. but i was going to ask what do yall think is the cheapest, best way to go. there are a bunch of companies offering wiring harnesses and i just need a push in the right direction. i am curious about having enough fuses and such to keep the heater and possibly putting a cd player in the glove box/empty area sometime in the not so near future. i am pretty handy with wiring and wiring diagrams so any input from you guys would be awesome....thanks
    brad

2. jdub

jdub

Check out Enos Custom Components in San Luis Obispo, CA before you go the Painless route.

http://www.enoscustom.com/

Painless is good stuff (I've installed 3), but this guy makes good stuff too.

3. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

thanks jdub!!!

4. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Get one from the guy right here that makes them. But due to old age I cant remember the name. He offers HAMB discounts too, and I can guarentee it will be better than that Enos crap. Sorry jdub!

5. I used "It's a snap" system. About $125 for their 20 circuit unit. GM color coded and very easy to use. Believe they make a 12 circuit also.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Do a search for lots of good info on here.
    I've used lots of Its-a-snap kits, no problems.
    REBEL WIRE is sold by a HAMBer on here, look up Alliance Vendors list. I'll be purchasing his kits from now on based on MANY good testimonials here on the HAMB.

7. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Cheapest? Do it yourself and rewire everything with new wire. It's just wire, routing and wire organization.
    Easiest? Kit but probably most expensive too.

8. captainflight

captainflight

Regardless whether you use a kit or do it yourself, your heater will require a 12V motor or a voltage drop unit. I used a Ron Francis voltage drop unit for my guages and heater (one unit did both). I don't recomend those ceramic drop units especially for guages. Speedway has a guide booklet for 12V conversions for about $10. Very informative and simple.

9. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Studeillac,
    If you want to keep your ride in 6 volt, Rebel Wire now makes an 8 circuit 6 volt system. If you're thinking about upgrading to modern components like a modern stereo, it might be to your advantage to go with a 12 volt system. Sounds as if your old system is trashed, so pull it all out and start over.
    If I can help you decide which way to go, please let me know. You can call me in the evenings at 618-395-8216 or pm me.

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

to me the easiest and cheapest is to buy a couple boxes of different colored wire (i like range wire cause its got fiberglass mesh over the regular insulation, looks "old timey"), and start stringin em to where they go.i just think its easier cause you dont end up crossin wires at the ends of the loom and theres less headache. and troubleshootings easier with bundled wires, as opposed to loomed wires.

11. jdub

jdub

One more thing - stay away from EZ Wiring. If I didn't know what I was doing before I had to put that p.o.s. in, I would've ripped my hair out trying to figure it out.

Make any decisions yet?

12. duste01

duste01

Seems like we all went through this discussion about 2 months ago. there are a couple entities on the hamb that make harnesses. rebel wire comes to mind too.

13. Missing Link

Missing Link

There are plenty of inexpensive kits you can buy. However, in my opinion, do yourself a favor and boycott EZ Wire.

I understand that you are not big on converting but I do believe that switching to a 12V system will make you happier in the long run.

14. oj

oj

I have a lot of respect for American Autowire and have used them on several projects but a customer brought me a Rebel kit and it was high quality and the drawing plain and simple to understand. All kits can have the wires tagged and a ton of extra connectors, tye wraps but that don't mean nothing if you have to be an engineering student to read all the crap to wire the car. Rebel communicates.

15. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Thanks man...we do our best.

16. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

thanks for all the input guys...i think i will get in touch with ron francis and see how much that will cost but the rebel wiring looks like a great inexpensive option too...you guys are more help than you know
    much thanks,
    brad

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008