Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring questions (53 ply cranbrook)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Copy Cop, May 20, 2008.

1. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

well i almost got my after market turn signal switch wired and i got all the wires but two, one comes from the flasher plug and it needs to get power but i am not sure from where, also i got one other wire not connected that i believe goes to the brake switch but i am not sure where that is, any help would be much appreciated

2. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Flasher would get power from a constant source, that would be a connection direct from the battery or directly sourced battery secondary location. I'm not sure about your application or where you're mounting the box, but that could be starter, fuse panel, ignition switch.

Brake switches are on the brake pedal somewhere. some are inside, some under the hood, some on the master cylinder/prop valve. Best to check a manual for exact location.

3. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

so i can run the flasher directly from the batt and it won't cause a drain of any kind?

and ill look for the switch

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Most people feed the turn signal flasher from the accessories terminal on the ignition switch so that they won't flash with the key off. The feed for the brake light switch usually is not switched so that you still have brake lights when you turn the key off. If for some reason you need to kill the engine while you are still rolling you'll be glad that the brake lights are still working.

There are several ways to wire different TS switches.

5. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

well where should i connect the wire thats supposed to go to the switch?:confused:

6. 4tford

4tford

Tommy is right you need to find an accessory feed from the ignition switch or fuse block to feed the flasher (make sure you have a fuse protecting your new circuit). The feed to your turn signal from the brake switch is used to feed the stop lamps thru the switch when the turn signal is off and feed the same stop filament for turn signal depending which turn signal left or right you selected. This is assuming you have only one bulb for turn and stop functions.

7. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

the tails are dual filament with two +feeds coming out and the bezel that holds it in place is the ground.

sory guys i hate asking basic questions i just hate wiring and sometimes its easy for me to overlook the obvious answer

8. 4tford

4tford

The two feeds comming out are, one is tail and the other is stop/turn. So your turn signal switch would need to stop the brake switch feed going to the bulb during the turn function for that bulb. That is why the wire from the stop lamp switch to your turn signal switch is for brake feed to the bulbs go thru your turn signal switch.