Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring question using GM column harness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fredb, Apr 18, 2010.

1. they say there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions so here's mine: Couldn't find anything in search.

I'm doing a partial re-wire project and have a GM column harness from 70's-80's era (you know, the one with turn signals etc). how d hell do you remove the pressed in wire connectors to replace them?

2. maniac

maniac

I use a straightened paper clip, you have to push the small tab on the brass connector down and it slides out the other end.

Man, I could show it to you in a second, it's hard for me to explain it, it is easy though once you get the hang of it

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yup...easier to show than explain for sure!
    I have a piece of hard wire that I flattened on one end and just slightly bent that works good.
    Push the wire connector into the plastic farther...depress the tang with the remover and then pull back.
    If you'd rather have a proper tool to add to your tool box, Lisle has a remover available.
    You can find them in autoparts stores in the specialty tool section.

4. Thanx guys
    I figgred there was a tool available (Lisle re Hackerbilt) but like most of us I have soo many speciality tools in my box I can't remember what they are for. Out to the shop and found your suggestions work. Thanks