Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring question on a 64' Lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.D., Oct 28, 2004.

1. J.D.

J.D.

My 64 Continental is starting to have more and more wiring problems and I am thinking about just throwing a wiring kit at it so I can get the basics working again, now I know a lot of the vehi. runs off of vacuum so some stuff still might not work but I am okay with that. Anyways any suggestions on this,

what kit should I buy? where is the best place to buy it?
    am I just stupid for wanting to try this on this car? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 54BOMB

54BOMB

i think you should do it , so when i wire my 54 then ill know what im doing after a trial run on your car ha ha

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Fix the problems as they pop up. That car does NOT have a simple wireing harness. You'd need many years of experience in wireing and a wireing diagram. And it still would be a big PITA. IMHO

4. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

you said it your self. biggest problem with lincolns is the two miles of vaccum hoses that go bad every few years and you're about 40 years late,
    I don't know your car but electical problem are seldom with the loom it self unless its been oil soaked in the engine compartment or maybe mice making nests [​IMG]

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. J.D.

J.D.

stupid vacumm hoses with all the colors rubbed off of them [​IMG], I am starting to agree with just running the problems down one at a time, it's just that the wiring is so over complicated in this car for no reason(just my 2cents), looks like it is time to pull out the wiring diagram book and sending some thinking time in the garage

6. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

ford had a different Idea on electrical components and used a lot of relays with light wires to the controls and heavy wires to carry the loads. as with all major companies they expierment with high end (relatively low production/ less cars to recall)lincolns,TBirds,Eldorados ect.
    If I were to rewire the lincoln I'd figure on replaceing every thing on the car. yes all the Air conditioning,power windows,door locks instrments everything oh yeah and you need to install an injected 350/350
    its the old $100,000 or nothing option [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. J.D.

J.D.

I am thinking of doing a 460 swap, and ditch out on the a/c and all the other b.s. under the hood

8. colorado51

colorado51

I agree with others, just fix it as it comes up as long as its not a fire hazard.

You will probably become very familiar with the wiring/vacuum hose diagrams when you are done! [​IMG]

Man, you must have one hell of a deep garage to be able to fit that thing in there! [​IMG]

9. J.D.

J.D.

when I moved in and backed her in there I realized they wern't joking about 3 car oversized, I was amazed that there was still room to walk around her after she was all the way in [​IMG]

10. 54BOMB

54BOMB

What parts arent working, is it something where you could change specific pieces?

11. J.D.

J.D.

that's the problem Brett the parts are all working it's electrical that's causing problems, it seems to be just in the wiring itself.

I posted this same thing on the Lincoln message board and thought I was going to get shot, very fround apon in the lincoln world to put a new wire harness in it www.lcoc.org

12. 54BOMB

54BOMB

if its not a specific item, maybe its the grounds or something, or maybe do the vacuum lines since thats what everyones talking about then check out the wiring

13. Nick

Nick

I read on your post on the licoln board that the windows dont work. I used to have a 64 lincoln and when they stopped working in mine i needed to take the door panels off and clean all of the tracks out because the grease solidified. This was in all of the windows and was the only problem. I origionally thought the motors werent getting power. And the wiring sucks in lincolons which is the only reason I sold mine I hated fixing it. I got a GM products and dont have any problems with vacum and wiring and a crappy motor.

-Nick

14. MBL

MBL

Ok...you may not want to hear this but 64 and 65 were the worst lincs for the electrical problems.... Windows are an easy fix...take em apart and clean em out. The dash is a separate issue. We very careful around and about the voltage indicator. There is this little paper insulator that comes apart and will short out the whole car practically. I know...I was in one as it caught fire...not fun. Make sure the insulator is good on that first off. Then take care of the things as they pop up...I agree with that for sure....but for Gods sake...take a look at that voltage indicator.
    Tim
    MBL

15. 54BOMB

54BOMB

J.D. your screwed cause your dash is already out. Just sell it and get an impala.

16. 54BOMB

54BOMB

seriously if you want ill come over saturday and help work on it

17. J.D.

J.D.

thanks for the vote of confidence Brett. The dash is not all the way out. I was also very carefull when I took the panel off. It's a ford after all so I was extra carefull when working around the voltage indicator, which is still bolted to the gauge panel in the car. Windows are not a big deal due to the fact that it is the most common problem with these and I just need to clean them out.

18. J.D.

J.D.

I agree Nick I am looking to get rid of it and move on to something else. Thanks for all the help guys I am going to get started on it this weekend [​IMG]

19. Drnkn Lncln

Drnkn Lncln

Hey there, I know this post may be a little too late to help out, but I thought I would drop you a note. First, I have owned a 67 for nine years now as my daily driver and know many other people with these great classic cars. You need to worry about the wiring in that car; my buddy has a 62, but had a 64 and had to get rid of it due to a dash fire caused by that great wiring harness and the wires running through the amp gauge. I hate to say it, but the 64/65 were the black sheep of that style. I personally love the 64 looks, but the quality is questionable. you need to take apart the dash and take out the amp gauge...mind you, the car seemed to be built around the dash and that designer should be shot for this. Make sure that the cardboard that seperates the wires in the gauge is in good condition so that they do not touch each other. I could go on and on, since I have seen much work done on a 64 in action. It really is a good car overall though, and no, do not get rid of the 430...the 430/462 is a better motor than the 460 and the late 60s 460 for lincolns had issues that they had not worked out yet at the time of introduction (it was released in mid 68) I do not know how long you have owned this car, but things will pop up...get ready if you have to drop the gas thank; the dif has to be lowered first. Drop me a line anytime if you have anything to ask; I'll try my best to help; always glad to see other Connie owners on this board. Mike

20. Jayd93

Jayd93

Do you know where to get windo switches For a 64 licoln Continental? Thanks Jayl.

21. Jimv

Jimv

the vac hoses are colored for there whole length, but there a nitemare, i worked for L-M in the late 60's -mid 70's & they can really be a problem.
    What is it your specifically having problems with?
    Also www.riwiring.com is a company in Kingston RI a relative of the owner is "narragansett reproductions"Ed Pess is the owner & hes a expert on anything "lincoln" He lives in woodriver junction,RI. see if you can hook up with him.He's a miserable old swamp yankee but he'll probably help ya.He also makes wiring harnesses for your car.
    jimV